Experiencing difficulties with the ARC LAN-hacking mission.

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

digital_obsidian
level0

Experiencing difficulties with the ARC LAN-hacking mission.

Postby digital_obsidian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 am

I am experiencing extremely frustrating difficulties in my attempt to hack ARC's Local Area Network. I have gotten fairly far into the LAN, ran LAN_Scan and LAN_Probe plenty, disabled locks, entered frequencies in wireless transmitter, et cetera. But here is where my problem arises. I entered the required frequency into one of the wireless transmitters and was transferred to the wireless receiver, as per usual. The wireless receiver connects to only one thing though: a terminal. I connected to the terminal, and there is no useful information in it, and it does not connect to anything. I have the latest version of LAN_Scan and LAN_Probe, but they are of no use at this point. There is also a hub, an authentication server and a lock that have no apparent connections to anything else. With the dial-up number I found in a previous terminal, I connected to a modem, but it only leads to one thing - a blank square.
Following is a screenshot of the LAN.Image

Can anyone provide any advice as to what I should do next? Has anyone else experienced this problem in attempting to hack ARC's LAN? I have tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. Alas, I can get no further in the LAN. Any suggestions, anyone?
Everything that has a beginning has an end.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Re: Experiencing difficulties with the ARC LAN-hacking missi

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 am

digital_obsidian wrote:I am experiencing extremely frustrating difficulties in my attempt to hack ARC's Local Area Network. I have gotten fairly far into the LAN, ran LAN_Scan and LAN_Probe plenty, disabled locks, entered frequencies in wireless transmitter, et cetera. But here is where my problem arises. I entered the required frequency into one of the wireless transmitters and was transferred to the wireless receiver, as per usual. The wireless receiver connects to only one thing though: a terminal. I connected to the terminal, and there is no useful information in it, and it does not connect to anything. I have the latest version of LAN_Scan and LAN_Probe, but they are of no use at this point. There is also a hub, an authentication server and a lock that have no apparent connections to anything else. With the dial-up number I found in a previous terminal, I connected to a modem, but it only leads to one thing - a blank square.

I would suggest going back and probing everything again. The blank square is a terminal or lock or something---there are no blank squares on a LAN. Also, you may have been unable to scan beyond some of the devices you describe (the hub and lock, for instance) because there was a lock in the way. You can't probe past a lock until you disable it.

I would also suggest reading through the guide.

digital_obsidian wrote:Following is a screenshot of the LAN.Image

Image fail. You need to provide a link to an image file. The link should end in something like .jpg or .png. That link takes me to a flikr page that wants me to register. I don't have a flikr account, nor do I want one. If you want my help, give me a file that I can see.

digital_obsidian wrote:Can anyone provide any advice as to what I should do next? Has anyone else experienced this problem in attempting to hack ARC's LAN? I have tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. Alas, I can get no further in the LAN. Any suggestions, anyone?

LANs are generated randomly each time you start a new game. So it is possible that others have had similar issues, but it is unlikely that anyone has ever encountered exactly the LAN that you are dealing with.
digital_obsidian
level0

Postby digital_obsidian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:14 pm

I have read through the section of the Ultimate Uplink Guide that explains LANs several times, but it gives me little help as to my predicament. As I said before, I have tried everything. And yes I have tried scanning and probing everything again. But to no avail.
Here, see if you can open this link: [img]file:///Users/user/Desktop/Picture%201.png[/img]
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:47 pm

digital_obsidian wrote:Here, see if you can open this link: [img]file:///Users/user/Desktop/Picture%201.png[/img]

Yikes, you're fresh. Try uploading the image to Imageshack and use the code for 'Forum Thumbnail'
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
digital_obsidian
level0

Postby digital_obsidian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 am

Yeah, my apologies, I'm rather new to the whole forum universe. So here's the "forum thumbnail" URL from Imageshack: Image

Oh, and since I'm so "fresh," I have a random question. Where it says "Options" by the lower lefthand corner of my text box, it says HTML is off. How can I turn it back on? I've tried going to my profile and in my preferences I made sure HTML wasn't disabled, yet it still displays that HTML is still off in my posts. What's up with that?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 am

Dial into the modem, then probe the box. It looks like the extraneous bits and bobbles are linked through there. There is also something near the top of that LAN (a router, I think) which you have not probed. You are going to have to unlock the lock to get to it. After you unlock it, probe it.

As to enabling HTML, I'm pretty sure that it is disabled at the forum level. You really don't need it, anyway. Use BBCode tags.
digital_obsidian
level0

Postby digital_obsidian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:45 am

All right, I probed the box by the modem. I am not sure why it never worked before; I swear I probed it. Maybe not. Point is, it worked. Here is a new screenshot, as I am still bogged down in quite the same predicament. Image

So there are three wireless transmitters so far, and they all transmit to one receiver - the one sort of in the middle, directly below the modem, that connects to a single terminal. I have probed this terminal: it is connected to nothing else. I have connected to it, and there is no useful information on the terminal such as a dial up number, et cetera. I tried spoofing it, to see if it was concealing a subnet. How do you determine if a terminal is connected to a subnet, by the way? Sorry for my naivete. What else should I try? Is there any use in forcing a terminal?[/code]
Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 am

I think you can only tell if a terminal is connected to a subnet if there is a authentication server nearby connected to it.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:13 pm

If you find an Authentication server, click it and if it is guarded by a subnet you'll be shown.

digital_obsidian
level0

Postby digital_obsidian » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:55 am

All right. Any suggestions on what I should do/try next?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:58 am

Set up and save a bounce chain that connects to the LAN in question, then upload your .usr file to sharebee so that someone can take a look.

digital_obsidian
level0

Postby digital_obsidian » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Upon getting back on Uplink and playing around a bit more with LAN_Scan on the ARC LAN, I uncovered this hub connecting to the three terminals, on one of which there is a frequency for the wireless transmitter. Upon entering said frequency, I was connected to the wireless receiver on the right, which connects to a single authentication server, which unlocks the lock right by the modem. But other than that I have made no other progress. Suggestions?

Here is the image, so you can see what I am talking about: Image
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:08 pm

There's only a few things to do on LANs: Scan, Probe, and Connect. Do them all on everything. It's that simple. Try clicking on the Authentication server and scroll around the _ENTIRE_ LAN to see what it unlocks. Locks can only be probed properly if unlocked. If after that you still can't figure it out...

Montyphy wrote:Set up and save a bounce chain that connects to the LAN in question, then upload your .usr file to sharebee so that someone can take a look.

Please use thumbnails.

Return to “Hints and Tips”