Is dead agent's PC time limited?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

DarkScythe
level0

Is dead agent's PC time limited?

Postby DarkScythe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:52 am

Hello everyone,

I've played this game years ago but was mostly just poking around aimlessly, though I did recall having a bit of fun.
A recent Steam sale had this included as a pack, so I purchased it for a throwback.

First thing I have to say is man, I have missed this game. Unfortunately, it seems this game does not scale at all to higher resolutions, and the text is abysmally tiny. I had to replace the font with Verdana to help with readability, but I still can't figure out if it's possible to increase font size some more, or get the windows to actually scale to use the higher resolution.

Anyway, my main issue is with the dead agent's PC.
I know it contains RevelationCore 0.7, and I'm aware of how to gain access to it.

The problem is, it no longer seems to exist in my current game.
I started the game, and on April 14th, the dead agent's email went out to everyone, and I inspected the ARC mainframe briefly to initiate the storyline, but I did not attempt to hack it.
At this point in the game, my resources were still tight, as I was rushing to complete many missions to gain the finances needed for the ALPHA /CPU gateway, as well as v5 of all the bypass software.
This took some time (and hilariously enough, I made most of my money during a bank transfer mission when the target was my own bank account, so I was paid to rob a bank in my favor.)
Now that I have all the requisite software and a powerful enough gateway, I remembered about this agent, and decided to investigate in earnest.

I hacked the ARC mainframe, and surprisingly the logs were still there.
I then traced the logs, making sure to use the undeleter on all of them to ensure I wasn't being led astray, and found an IP listed as a personal computer.
In all, it seems this agent made 3 bounces before hitting ARC.

Finally, I attempted to access this PC, except I get a 404 error.
When I attempt a connection, it states "Computer not found."
It goes on to say this IP is currently unused and to contact sales@internic for more information.

To doublecheck I had the right address, I went back to the beginning and re-hacked ARC, and once again followed the log trail to this PC.

The only reason I can think of is that perhaps far too much time has passed, since it is currently April 30th (16 days after the email) in my game.
Oddly, I have not received any missions from Arunmor yet, past the counter-offer that I responded to.

Anyway, I tried searching up more information about this, but I couldn't find anything. I apologize of this has been answered elsewhere, although every result I found yielded people asking for specific instructions or IPs to trace for revelationcore. I know it's not required for the mission, but I thought it might be interesting to see what happens if I sent it to Arunmor when they post the news about a 25k bounty for information.

Is the dead agent's PC time limited in this case, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:27 pm

it is limited, it only exists for a few days after the email, im guessing to allow time for crime scene clean up and internic to remove the associated IP. So after a while you cannot access it. To be honest, I think if you try to gain access at any time after you get the email then it is too late.
DarkScythe
level0

Postby DarkScythe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the response; I figured as much.

I wonder how you're supposed to hack ARC safely in the beginning though, as without the various bypasses they're going to start tracing you very quickly.
Then again, I suppose I don't necessarily need access to clear my own logs off of it, and there's probably an element of risk in trying to hack it early to access the core file.

I'll give it another shot in a new game, if I decide to. I just robbed all 7 banks in my current game, so it's tough to go back to being poor after scoring 9.3 million, lol.

Edit:
Do you happen to know what happens when you try to submit RevelationCore to Arunmor when they post that 25k bounty even after you've submitted v1.0 to them?
I'm not sure if they'd accept an older version.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 pm

i think the refuse outright, as far as i can remember revelationcore is for bragging right only, there may be a company that wants it, but for the most part im fairly sure its useless.
DarkScythe
level0

Postby DarkScythe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks, I'll stay the course then.

I'll give it a shot in a new game, but I guess I won't be in a rush to get it.
kaillmitch
level1
level1

Re: Is dead agent's PC time limited?

Postby kaillmitch » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:48 am

If you need to know something about computers or software, then I know where to find this information, for example tna games for pc. Still interested, how to delete dream11 account? If it weren’t for this site, I wouldn’t have figured it out; there are interesting blogs related to computers and more.

Return to “Hints and Tips”