What did I do wrong in this bank hack?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

GDAWG
level0

What did I do wrong in this bank hack?

Postby GDAWG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 pm

I know that the subject of bank hacks has come up countless times, but I have a question. I found an account with over 9000... I mean over 800000 credits in it in the Atlantic International Bank. I created an account in the same bank. I opened up the target account and transferred 800000 credits over to my Atlantic account. I quickly erased the transfer records in both the target account and my Atlantic account. I disconnected and erased the InterNIC (my first bounce point) logs. Several game hours later, I got a message saying I had been promoted to Professional. (This is where I think I went wrong) I decided to transfer the money from the Atlantic account into my Uplink bank account. I transferred it, but did not delete the transfer logs. What did I do wrong?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Uplink help: Read the FAQ
GDAWG
level0

Postby GDAWG » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:00 pm

That doesn't help. I've read the FAQ, but it doesn't mention anything about transferring the money. Should I have just left the money in the account?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 pm

I don't understand your problem. You successfully completed a bank hack, and are complaining that you were promoted? I am confused...
GDAWG
level0

Postby GDAWG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 am

Sorry, I should have been clearer. A few game hours after being promoted, I got the black screen of death for hacking into the bank. I just now figured it out, though. The problem was with clearing the transfer logs in my account. I slapped on the proxy bypass without the monitor bypass while I was directly connected to my bank (not the target bank) from the Gateway. The second bank detected me.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:10 pm

All the moniter bypass does is stop you being detected when cracking a servers PW, just gives you a few extra seconds of hack time, it does not mean you get caught if you dont run it
Retrospect
level0

Postby Retrospect » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Yeah, the bypass only stalls active traces. It's not necessary if you know the password (be it your account or someone else's).

Sounds like you got passive traced for not deleting your log in your bank since you directly connected to it directly instead of bouncing through InterNIC. :(
GDAWG
level0

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 pm

@retrospect
That's exactly what happened. I couldn't put it exactly into words. After much planning, I did finally managed to pull off my first bank heist today. I got away with 700000 credits. I skipped ahead several game days, and I was not passive traced. Bank robberies are incredibly nervewracking the first couple times you attempt one.

Return to “Hints and Tips”