Got caught AGES after hacking a bank

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Cislunar
level0

Got caught AGES after hacking a bank

Postby Cislunar » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Alright, so I know that everyone here loves to point out that if you get caught, you didn't follow the guide. Just so you know, I followed the guide.

Some information before you tell me I'm wrong/stupid/didn't read the guide:

1. I use InterNic as the first bounce
2. I use Log deleter 4 and always delete my logs right after the mission/hacking occurs
3. I use Monitor Bypass/Proxy Bypass/Firewall bypass (max levels, can't remember the version num)

The reason I point this out is to prove that I was not caught for a different hack. I'm very, very careful.

Anyways, so, here's the story:

log into a guy's bank account (did not use password breaker because I already had his login info).
Transfer the money to my uplink account.
Delete the statements logs on his account and my account.
Cleared InterNIC's logs.
Fast-forwarded a day.
Bought the top rig and bought the security units and maxed out the memory and processors and modem.
Everything gets installed, except for the last memory module.

This is where things go wrong. I launched the tripwire hardware security program (not the real name). It shows yellow which means that the hardware is being worked on. Suddenly after that, however, it turns red. Even though I was very careful. So I nuked.

What the hell happened? I'm damn sure I cleaned up very well and I did it very, very quickly. I even waited for a while before I purchased just to see if I would get caught. Did the game glitch?
leon007
level1
level1

Postby leon007 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:24 am

Hmm...
probably this topic may help you.
(I'm not a pro of uplink.)

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=38693
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 am

The security module you have installed is a motion sensor. It detects motion. It shows yellow if there is a little bit of motion (i.e. a single technician installing a piece of hardware), and red if there is a lot of motion (i.e. the FBI raiding your gateway, or several technicians installing a lot of hardware). It seems that you panicked about the technicians, and nuked your gateway when you shouldn't have.

By the way, if your gateway is being raided and you nuke it in time to save yourself, you will get a message from Uplink saying as much. If you never got that message, then you nuked the gateway for no reason.
AgentQuintic
level0

Postby AgentQuintic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 am

mr_anonymous wrote:It shows yellow if there is a little bit of motion (i.e. a single technician installing a piece of hardware), and red if there is a lot of motion (i.e. the FBI raiding your gateway, or several technicians installing a lot of hardware).

I can't tell you how pissed I was the second time I saw my motion sensor light up red. In the same day, I had to nuke my gateway because I saw that light turn red. I was surprised because I had just gotten word that a technician was putting some new stuff in it and I thought, "Crap. So what's going to happen to that technician now that the feds have arrived there too?" So after nuking, I'm stuck with the basic GatewayALPHA and two programs, and only a couple thousand credits (I spent all my money on the upgrades that I just nuked). I never recovered from that (ended up getting disavowed trying to hack into the GCD to give myself a criminal record just to end it all).

Anyway, here it is, same day (real-time), new Uplink account, finally got security systems installed. bought a few other hardware upgrades, notice my light turn yellow 24 hours later, then it turned red. CRAP! Just like last time! But I thought I'd wait and see who it is who's catching me since nuking doesn't do me any good (note: later learned to back-up software). So I waited. An email comes saying they've finished installing something. And I notice the light was yellow again. You'd think I'd be happy, that my gateway wasn't being raided, but I was just pissed that I nuked myself last time for no reason. Last time, I got to the rank of Elite after playing for a few hours and was partway through the story, so yeah, I had lost a lot of ground for no reason.

In the account that I didn't nuke, I wen't on to get up to finishing the second-to-last Arunmor mission before that light turned red again. I hadn't ordered anything, so this was the real deal. Sadly, I backed up all of my software onto the Arunmor File Server, but to complete the previous mission (ARCInfiltration), I had to delete all the backups to make room for the REVELATION files. So, with who knows how much time left before I'm disavowed, I didn't know what to do. I ended up getting back onto the Arunmor File Server, deleting all of those REVELATION files (praying that it wouldn't affect the storyline), and recopied the software from my memory onto the system. However, I had lost all of my LAN software earlier when the File Server had reset to include new files. Luckily, I was able to re-backup everything before getting a black screen, so I nuked.

Guess what was next, though. The final mission. Guess what I had to do it with. Less than 20,000c and the basic setup. Guess what happened. I expelled the Revelation virus anyway, but it was gray-hair-causing intense! I actually felt like I was about to fail the world because of a stupid mistake I made who knows when. That's the power of Uplink. So I survived the last mission immediately after nuking myself. And I saved the world as an activist elite hacker with a supercharged calculator for a gateway. I just thought it would be an interesting survival story. I never cheered, though. I couldn't. I was busy trying to stop hyperventilating.

By the way, all of that happened today. I beat the game for the first time about three hours ago after owning it for several years.

P.S. mr_anonymous: I finally get to apologize to you directly, sort of, for the recent few old topics that I have "bumped." I understand you want people to stop doing that, so I'm sorry that I've been going against your wishes, but I have limited time on here and stuff I though people should know.

Return to “Hints and Tips”