Caught after robbery despite covering tracks?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Mad Mephit
level0

Caught after robbery despite covering tracks?

Postby Mad Mephit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.

I finally noticed a bank account that had a large sum of money in it(most of the money-transfers I've found have been tiny, lately). I discovered this in the process of two inspection missions: check balance, check loan. No transfers made at that time.

I did a few more missions, and I had all three level 5 bypasses.

I went back to the bank, bouncing through InterNIC, bypassed the monitor and proxy, went into the account, and transferred 900k to my own Uplink account.

I deleted the transfer entry in that person's statement.

I connected to Uplink bank - still using a bounce path that went through InterNIC - and bypassed the monitor and proxy, went into my account, and deleted the transfer-from line in my statement.

I cleaned up ALL bounce logs on InterNIC. When I disconnected, all that was left in their log was one unrelated "Accessed file" log, and my connection log for that session.

I started to go shopping, and almost instantly got shut down.

I checked the cause, and it says I was disavowed for attempting to steal money from that bank.

I never did ANYTHING at this bank that gave me an active trace(by the time I first found the account, I had the monitor bypass, just not the others), and I always cleaned up my InterNIC logs. Is there some other way they might've caught me?

(For a while I thought the big transfers simply didn't exist anymore - I played through an entire run without finding any; I lost that one and couldn't keep searching because I flubbed a hack late in the Arunmor storyline, nuked my gateway[and got the amusing message when its wreck was seized], and was still struggling to replace it when the virus broke out. I didn't have the CPU power to hack systems before the virus spread. Especially not since better than half of the ones it went to were mainframes...)

Edit: It just happened AGAIN. Fast forwarded for a few days to make sure my earlier infiltrations weren't at fault, then went in, made the transfer, deleted the log, bounced to Uplink bank, deleted the log, wiped out the log trail at InterNIC, fast forward a bit, instantly disavowed. There's no way I could've worked any faster save by SLIGHTLY faster operation of log_deleter(which is v4.0, by the way) - I already had passwords to all involved accounts so I didn't need to crack them, and, again, I bypassed the security software.

Further edit: The problem didn't happen when I made an account AT the target bank and just shuffled it over. Whether that's because of the shortened time to swap accounts, or because Uplink bank itself has a tendency to squeal when it gets a big transfer, I don't yet know - I'd have to try making an account at a third party bank, and at this point I don't want to spoil the game AGAIN.
Starwind
level0

Postby Starwind » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:21 am

After transfering the money to your bank and deleting your statement from the bank you are stealing money from, click on your finance button on the bottom left of your screen. Then click on the link to your bank in the window that appeared on the right. This connects you directly to your bank instead of bouncing from InterNIC to your bank. Delete your statement their the way you did before. Then Go to InterNIC and delete all your logs. Let me know what happens.
leon007
level1
level1

Postby leon007 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am

1.Is your Log_Deleter the highest level?
If no, even you delete the log, it still leave some mark however ("Accessed file"...etc) , and you're doomed.
MAKE SURE your Log_Deleter is the highest level.

2.Is InterNIC your FIRST bounce point?
MAKE SURE InterNIC is your FIRST bounce point.

3.Are you too slow to clean the log?
Although banks didn't have active trace. but the have passive trace, the fastest in game.
Read this topic may help you.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Seriously? Is there a reason that we are bumping long dead topics? Especially those posted by people who are not coming back, and no longer need the advice?
Starwind
level0

The Reason

Postby Starwind » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I had this same conversation with my friend and the only reason we are answering them is because the answer was never given to solve this problem. Which should eliminate future posts about this topic. Good question though.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 pm

The answer was not given in this topic. However, a quick search of the forums, or a Google search using the term "site:forums.introversion.co.uk" would have come up with many, many results to identical questions about hacking banks. Failing that, one could read the FAQ, which is stickied at the top of this forum, or had a read through the Ultimate Uplink Guide, which is linked from that FAQ, and which answers the question. The reason that no answer was given is that the answer has already been given so many times before.

So, no. Answering the question does not eliminate future posts on a given topic, because people like the original poster are either too stupid or too lazy to actually search for the answers.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Locked.

1) for bumping an aged topic.

2) For not looking in the bloody faq.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “Hints and Tips”