Keep getting caught...

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

RchSndrs
level0

Keep getting caught...

Postby RchSndrs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm

I have tried twice but I keep getting caught round about the middle of April.. I use InterNIC (I think its called) and bounce off all the other places, after a hack or two I always delete the logs off InterNic, the password accepted one and the bounce ones but I still get caught half way through... Help
DinoSteve
level3
level3

Postby DinoSteve » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Use the highest version of log_deleter
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
RchSndrs
level0

Postby RchSndrs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

I know its not the best idea to delete the Connection log but would it be best to delete the previous connection and disconnection logs before?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Read the FAQ and the guide it links to also.

It will answer your questions.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
FeralShadow
level0

Postby FeralShadow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 am

Yes... I'm having the same issue as well. I have a mission where I have to hack a LAN. I get all the way to the master server and mess around there, and have disconnected every so often to delete the logs off InterNIC (my first bounce) with Log_Deleter (highest version). I leave the connect and disconnect logs alone, and delete the Admin Gained Access logs as well as the Routed To logs. However, even after doing that, as a day or so passes, I ALWAYS get caught by the people who own the LAN i'm hacking. I don't get it. I've tried many different approaches, from deleting the InterNIC logs to deleting the InterNIC logs as well as the LAN logs (though it's messy on the LAN since i have almost no time). So really, I don't know what else I can do. I've read the guides, and many different posts.

I also noticed that every so often I get a "such and such IP accessed File" in the middle of my "routed to X IP" logs. Is this because someone is onto me?

Thanks for the help everybody I greatly appreciate it

Oh yeah and for those interested, you can stay on the lan with the admin looking for you indefinately as long as you move your "active connection" around the LAN. You connect to the master server, then switch back to LAN view every so often. if the Admin is on your active square, you move back and connect around a different way, then go back to your business. When he gets to you the second time, move back and connect around a different way again. As long as the Admin isn't actively searching for you on your square for more than like 10 seconds, you won't get booted.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Hey feral, seriously read those links, basically if in doubt trash everything, dont forget that the game is not human, it does not notice anything strange with just a disconnect log with no connect
FeralShadow
level0

Postby FeralShadow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:55 am

Yeah I guess i"m going to have to trash everything. I've read all the links and done what it says I should do but... it doesn't seem to work, so...
FeralShadow
level0

Postby FeralShadow » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 am

Yeah.. I'm still stuck copying over my current file because i keep getting busted by the company that hired me to track down the hacker of their LAN system. I cleared tons of logs from both my first bounce (which i do all the time anyways) plus other bounces just for good measure, checked my criminal status and found out that they had my status on there Wanted for Unauthorized Systems Access, so I cleared my own record, and still they found and caught me. I could blow my gateway but it's really annoying to have to do that when I would think there's a better way to do it.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 pm

how quickly after the hack are you getting caught? im assuming you avoid the active trace here, but if its a minute or two, and you didnt hack a bank then its probably from an earlier hack, but if it took a few hours it may be from that one, best thing to do is to go back onto that character after you get busted and see what you got caught for.
FeralShadow
level0

Postby FeralShadow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 am

Yeah it's almost exactly 24 hours, and it's not the active trace, and it's from Level-Seven LAN that I was attempting to hack into. Which is what I don't get... it screams passive trace, but I deleted all the pertinent logs on InterNIC so... (shrug)

Return to “Hints and Tips”