Memory slot!?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

data
level0

Memory slot!?

Postby data » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:45 am

Ok.. This is like the very first part of the game... I purchased the password cracker and the tracer and I cracked the login. Then I access the "File server" and downloaded the first file then it says select a "Memory slot" Uh where are these located I looked for hours.. It might be a stupid question but I have no Idea what to do :(
CypherMan
level1
level1

Postby CypherMan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:50 am

When you followed each and every step in the tutorial, it showed you and explained about the icons on the bottom left of the screen. One of those is the memory. Maybe try the tutorial a couple of times before you play the game for real :wink: , you can delete and create as many agent accounts as you need.
CypherMan
data
level0

Postby data » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:03 am

I have done that tutorial atleast 10 times :? I opened the hardware and dragged the file in there but nothing happened... Cant you just tell me :?
data
level0

Postby data » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 am

Nevermind it turns out all I had to do was send the email to them :oops: Sorry for your time :oops:
CypherMan
level1
level1

Postby CypherMan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Some files take up more than one line of memory. If you drag a file to a slot and there aren't enough slots below that slot for the file to fit into, then the copy doesn't happen AND there is no message telling you it couldn't fit. So drag the file to a slot that has plenty of room below it for larger files.
CypherMan
rainbrain
level0

File copier won't copy

Postby rainbrain » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:16 pm

I also have a problem with the file copier (using the Linux 1.31 Demo):
Downloading a file works just fine - but then I have to select a memory slot to copy the file into. (weird concept - where's the file after being downloaded but before being copied to memory? Hanging in thin air? But whatever... ;))
And that doesn't work, most of the time. I click (left) and click but the file isn't copied. I try every single memory slot, but the file won't stick. Very rarely - after about half a minute of frustrated clicking, the file suddenly is copied to memory seemingly into a random slot.

As you can imagine, this takes the fun out of the missions. What am I doing wrong? Not singing the secret chant? Leftclicking when I should be righclicking? (I certainly tried righclicking but it didn't work for me.) Can you precisely describe what I have to do to copy the file to a memory slot?
Or is it a bug? Is my system to slow? (I hope not... Pentium 4 1.6 GHz, 512Megs of RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500)
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Perhaps it's simply because there is not enough continuous empty blocks in your gateway memory? If you want to copy a file with a size of 7 Gq you will need 7 empty continuous blocks in your gateway memory.
rainbrain
level0

Postby rainbrain » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:00 pm

No, that's not the case: The file could be copied OK under mysterious (and rare) circumstances.

However, patching the Demo with the latest Patch resolved the problem...
sinke
level0

Postby sinke » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:48 pm

I also have that problem, although i installed patch 1.55. Can anyone describe how to put a file into memory slot step by step???
Hades
level1
level1

Postby Hades » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 am

A 2 year necrobump? Prepare for the wrath of the forum nazi veterans!
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:38 am

Some simple searching would solve your problem, read the faq if that doesn't.

Hack the server you're stealing the file from, select your file copier from your hardware list, copy the file you need by clicking on it, check the file size and open your memory and see if you have enough memory slots available and click on the slot that's highest in the available memory. You have just copied the file.
I wasn't here.
sinke
level0

Postby sinke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:01 pm

there are enough memory slots. i tried to put the file in the slot, but the file just stays floating over memory slot. i tried clicking (and double-clicking) both right and left mose button, it doesn't work!!!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Make sure you're dragging the filecopier with you when you're choosing the slot.
Achrilico
level0

Postby Achrilico » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:59 pm

I had the same problem but
The way I remember, I just changed the game resolution and maybe another configuration (try it)
With the 1.55 Patch it don't happens anymore.

Return to “Hints and Tips”