Editing the save to prevent disavowement, anyone know how?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

ethanwdp
level0

Editing the save to prevent disavowement, anyone know how?

Postby ethanwdp » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 pm

viewtopic.php?t=39565

This was the closest I could get to this. However, the person who knew how to prevent disavowement only sent a PM to the OP and didn't actually post how :x

So, does anyone feel like sharing? :D
Pugugly001
level0

Re: Editing the save to prevent disavowement, anyone know how?

Postby Pugugly001 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Bought Uplink (again) from GOG, having fun, and I think I got caught out by a bug attempting to hack a bank - First it wouldn't allow the transfer despite bypassing the proxy, then after I figured out that was probably a bug and tried it again, the bank picked up the trace only two hops from home (and to be fair, I hovered over the disconnect button a sec too long trying to decide if the proxy was going to fall in time for me to click 'transfer; before disconnecting).

So this once I'm just irritated enough to try and reinstate my savegame, but the only tool I can find dates from 2007-ish and requires (coff coff) .Net 1.1.4322.

Assuming even Indiana Jones can't recover a version of .Net 1.1.4322 that runs with Windows 10, am I just done or is there a way to reinstate this? And can anyone confirm there is/is not a bug when the Bank suddenly jump 95% of a trace?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Pugugly001 wrote:Bought Uplink (again) from GOG, having fun, and I think I got caught out by a bug attempting to hack a bank - First it wouldn't allow the transfer despite bypassing the proxy, then after I figured out that was probably a bug and tried it again,...

I doubt this was a bug. Were you using the highest level proxy bypass?

Pugugly001 wrote:...the bank picked up the trace only two hops from home (and to be fair, I hovered over the disconnect button a sec too long trying to decide if the proxy was going to fall in time for me to click 'transfer; before disconnecting).

So this once I'm just irritated enough to try and reinstate my savegame, but the only tool I can find dates from 2007-ish and requires (coff coff) .Net 1.1.4322.

"Permadeath" is part of the game. You waited too long, got caught, game over. That is as intended. Start a new game---if you know how to play, it doesn't take that much time to get back to where you were (the entire story arc can probably be completed in less than 30 minutes by someone who really knows what they are doing).

Pugugly001 wrote:Assuming even Indiana Jones can't recover a version of .Net 1.1.4322 that runs with Windows 10, am I just done or is there a way to reinstate this? And can anyone confirm there is/is not a bug when the Bank suddenly jump 95% of a trace?

There are a couple of things to keep in mind: (1) banks have very good security, and will trace you faster than most other systems, and (2) different servers that you bounce through require more or less work to trace through---if you have root access to a server, you can delay the trace longer, while insecure servers will give you up much faster. If you last bounce was, for example, through InterNIC, then it is no surprise that you got caught.
Pugugly001
level0

Postby Pugugly001 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am

No, I found reports of a bug similar to this one and have hacked banks before; I've done testing and it didn't do that (Just 'pick up' an active trace where it left off after you disconnected and reconnected) on any other runs. That game was just buggy for some reason, and thus irritating despite the fact I was only two hours in.

I've run a couple more runs since then in uplink and uplinkOS - Which is a fairly nice facelift to the system btw. It looks nicer but the really nice improvements are interface things like not having to backspace over fields when you click on them, context menus, hotkeys. Also, a notepad and a random bounce generator. Random bounce is cool, but that notepad is *really* nice when you accept 18 'steal/destroy a file' missions and want to sort then out by server so you can get paid five or six times for one hack. I mean, *sure* you could use a pen and paper, but what are we, cavemen here?

Won one 'accidentally' by somehow missing the Hacker mission (I didn't realize it *could* time out - I've never timed out on it before!), and crashing ARC's mainframe at the right time, not even because I planned it that way but because I was irritated at breaking the storyline. So dead mainframe made revelation fizzle, and I sold the agent list just because I couldn't remember what happened if you did that; Oh yeah, they start killing off hackers! Then I lost the second fair and square because I *did* get lazy hacking three or four banks in a row and cleaning them up all at once.

Kinda weird - *just* finally got the 'Trace a Bank Transfer' mission on this 3rd game, which usually seems to come rather early for me - I almost always go from Alpha to the file server or trinity in one hop just by being 'vewy vewy quiet' until I get monitor/proxy bypass 5, and this time I actually had the whole file server setup upgraded before I got that mission this time. 800,000c and all I had left to buy was the Lan Tools. Current problem is I can't get the LAN to admit I'm bouncing off an Internal IP (It worked last game, the one I lost by getting lazy. And I'm getting into Mainframes fine. I may just try another LAN and assume Matrix Inc is broken/abandon if the other LAN mission works fine).

This game is such silly stupid fun - <G>. Makes me wanna go watch 'Hackers' again! Hey, then I'll use washing the guilty pleasure off as an excuse to watch 'Sneakers' - Make a night of it!

Mrs. Murphy: Dade?
Dade: Yeah Ma?
Mrs. Murphy: What are you doing?
Dade: I'm taking over a TV Network.
Mrs. Murphy: Finish up honey, and get some sleep. Happy Birthday.
CypherMan
level1
level1

Postby CypherMan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 pm

This doesn't edit your game, but it does help so you don't have to try. Save at a spot you know you're safe and then you don't have to start all the way from the beginning.

It depends on where you install it, but here is my batch file for backing up the game:

Code: Select all

@echo off
copy /Y "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\*.tmp" C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\
copy /Y "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\*.usr" C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\
copy /Y "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\options.*" C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\

and here is my batch file for restoring a saved backup when I get caught:

Code: Select all

@echo off
copy  /Y C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\*.tmp "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\"
copy  /Y C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\*.usr "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\"
copy  /Y C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Uplink\uplinkbackup\options.* "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Uplink\users\"

These are the default save locations on Windows 10 from a CD install of Uplink v1.31 + v1.55 patch.
Change PC to your user name in the C:\Users folder
If you install to a non-default location, the saves probably don't go to the hidden AppData folder but likely are in the same non-default folder.
CypherMan

Return to “General”