Remote Host Disconnection From Uplink Internal Services

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Shutsuji
level0

Remote Host Disconnection From Uplink Internal Services

Postby Shutsuji » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:44 am

Recently, I started a new profile on the iPad version of Uplink. I've gone through the game as normal of the Arunmor side, getting as far as the "Get ARC CEO Arrested" mission. However, today, I am suddenly unable to access the Uplink Internal Services machine at all.

The first time it happened, I assumed I had accidentally tapped on the administrative account (I have done "Mole???"), so I nuked my gateway just in case and went to re-purchase all of my upgrades. However, upon directly connecting and making sure that I used my user account, I was disconnected by the remote host again almost immediately and had another Unauthorized Systems Access conviction added to my criminal record. A third try, a third disconnection, and a third conviction. I have a couple of theories:

A) The game is simply bugged and I will have to connect indirectly using my bounce route in the future, which is inconvenient but I suppose not game-breaking, or

B) I actually did connect directly the first time to the administrative account, and the system admins recognize the IP address and terminate the connection. I know for a fact from hacking Central Mainframes and the GCD that the game recognizes the final bounce IP if multiple connections are done within a certain timeframe, and they will immediately begin tracing connections without actually acting on the system at all beyond a connection.

I'm really curious to know whether or not this is a bug. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What should I do? With three convictions, I'm concerned that I will be unable to purchase a gateway compatible with the Gateway Nuke in time on the off chance that the Feds decide to seize my gateway. Any help/suggestions/explanations would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I would like to add that at this point that my gateway was seized. I purchased a Turbo 200Ghz processor to try to break into the GCD again and clear my record, but I received two emails from Uplink saying that federal agents had seized my blown-up gateway before I got a game-over screen. This was after restarting the application on my device.

Additionally, I learned that bouncing around my route proved fruitless as I was still disconnected remotely a few moments after purchasing the CPU, which damages my B theory above.. I have never encountered anything like this in the Windows version of the game, so I'm unsure if it is related specifically to the mobile version. The game over screen reveals that I was disavowed for attempting to hack the Uplink Internal Services machine, which is obviously not something I had done beyond "Mole", and the logs from then we're far gone (it was around 25 August in-game when I was disavowed).

Again, any explanation would be greatly appreciated. I'm very upset that I lost this profile, and I'd like to know whether or not it has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

EDIT 2: I've just encountered a similar bug in the Windows version of the game while doing a low-level bank hack (I recorded the whole ordeal, I will link it later). First of all, I know that low-level hacks are possible as I've completed the Arunmor story-line using this method.

I amassed ~30,000c by maxing out my Uplink loan and painstakingly forcing the initial copy/delete missions to give me all of the money upfront, after which I purchased Log Deleter v4.0, Proxy Disable v5.0, Voice Analyzer v1.0, and Decypher v3.0. Using my bounce route, I completed the bank hack successfully without being traced. I created an account on the bank I was hacking (as you do), and the hack was only worth 3455c, but obviously I was only concerned with upping my Uplink rating. I was bumped up the Grade 9 - Knowledgeable, so I directly connected to the target bank for an ostensibly legitimate transfer of funds from my account. However, upon connecting, Trace Tracker flipped out and I immediately got disconnected and charged with Unauthorized Systems Access, at which point I began to panic. I took a bunch of ~10,000c-paying jobs in order to try to get a gateway with the nuke, but my gateway was seized before it was installed.

Again, as with the Uplink Internal Services situation above, what I was doing was ostensibly legitimate, and the target bank had no reason to trace 127.0.0.1. What is happening? I haven't ever read any documentation that suggests this is normal, or at the very least that anyone else has ever encountered this. Am I doing something wrong? I have no idea what it could be. Do the target systems still believe that they are actively tracing my bounced connection?
Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?

Return to “General”