Learning the Console Commands

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

technoKyle
level0

Learning the Console Commands

Postby technoKyle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 am

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I just had a quick question about the console commands. I wasn't sure how to use them so I looked it up on a guide. My question is this; where in the game (if anywhere) does it actually teach you about this? I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of this game and would like to consult a guide as little as possible, so I just want to check I'm not missing something or not looking somewhere important.

Thanks.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: Learning the Console Commands

Postby NeatNit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Personally I've never played the game long enough to even reach a console... but does typing "help" help? ;)
technoKyle
level0

Postby technoKyle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 pm

It's not something that's listed under the help section. Just like figuring out how to hack LAN systems; I had to turn to YouTube eventually. Am I missing something or is that just how the game is, that you just have to rely on trial and error or guides?
BlackPhantom
level0

Postby BlackPhantom » Fri May 23, 2014 6:04 am

As far as I know neither console hacking, nor lan hacking are explicitly explained in game. I, however, do think this was an intentional design choice by the developers. This is because part of the stigma behind hacking is that hackers are people who teach themselves either through trial and error or by taking the time to read resources on the subject. By not having a guide that says type 'blah blah blah' to do such and such it forces the player to think like a hacker. Reading how-to on dark looking message boards frequented by people with names like BlackPhantom and Icepick sounds kinda 'hackerish' to me. Or maybe I am just reading to far into it and it was bad design choice. :P

Return to “General”