Uplink in Ubuntu Store

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Jonnan
level0

Uplink in Ubuntu Store

Postby Jonnan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I have (legal et al) copies of Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon. Uplink and Darwinia in particular are two of my favorite games (Which is good because I can't find the Defcon Disk).

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and note that Uplink and Darwinia are available in the store; I presume this means that these are now available in a Apt repository somewhere.

I have never had good luck getting either Uplink or Darwinia to run under Linux/Ubuntu, which is at the moment my only working OS (At least till January). Given that I have CD's for Uplink and Darwinia, and I think I can even find my CD keys, is there any way to install an uplink repository such that I can take advantage of that?

One of these days I will actually finish Uplink - Yes, Yes I will - <G>.

Thanks - Jonnan
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 am

I don't know much of the specifics of the Linux version (I've never actually seen a computer running Linux, they're extremely rare around here), but from what I understand you need to install from CD using the patch found here: http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/otherfiles.html

Or something of that sort.

If you're having specific problems, a search on this forum and google will likely find your solution, and if not post your troubles here and someone (who knows more than me) will probably help you.

I don't really understand what you're talking about when you say "repository" (which means I didn't understand half your post :P, sorry), but you should know that Uplink is not expected to get any updates soon, if at all... So if that's what you want it for, just forget about that. :D
Jonnan
level0

Postby Jonnan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Apt Repositories are a won-der-ful thing - <G>.

Install something from an apt repository on Ubuntu (Or any Debian Linux) and it automagically updates whenever the package is updated. Fast, secure, efficient . . . and the primary reason I can't make myself go back to windows.

That said - Hey - I got all three of them to install and work on my Ubuntu box! Would still love to just see a repository for people, but hey, maybe I can actually finish Uplink this time!

Take care, and sorry for bein' "That Guy"

Jonnan
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:13 am

You don't want to know what "That Guy" is around here... You're not even close ;)

Like I said, there will not be many more updates (if any!), definitely not frequently. No need for any auto-updating. :)

Return to “General”