Introversion and Steam

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

magentablackout
level0

Introversion and Steam

Postby magentablackout » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:28 am

So I already have uplink legitly through steam. I also have a really old mac powerbook g4 with 10.4.11 osx which steam does not support. I got the demo to make sure that uplink would work on it and i did. so now i am wondering if there is anywhere i can download uplink free of charge or if i would have to just buy it again.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 am

The non-Steam Mac version of Uplink is published by Ambrosia Software. My understanding is that you will have to buy Uplink from them in order to get the Mac version. Your best bet would be to contact them. Alternatively, you may try downloading Uplink via Steam to another computer, then copying the files to your own. I'm (a) not sure that this would work and (b) not sure of the legality of such a course of action. Thus, try it at your own risk.
EmptySet
level1
level1

Postby EmptySet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:49 am

Can it run with steamplay?

also, there is supposedly a txt file that comes with the (unavailable?) beta patch on steam that points to a downloadable version of uplink...

but I'm not sure if introversion still has the beta patch available anymore...I cannot seem to get it and I got my copy through steam

IMO I think the developers stopped caring about uplink and should just put the beta patch into release already
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:25 pm

EmptySet wrote:Can it run with steamplay?

If my understanding is correct, Steam Play is simply how Valve refers to Steam games that can be played on either Windows or Mac OS. As the Steam version of Uplink is both Mac and Windows compatible, I believe that the correct answer to your question is "yes." However, that is irrelevant to the original poster, since they do not have a recent enough version of the OS to support Steam for Mac.

EmptySet wrote:also, there is supposedly a txt file that comes with the (unavailable?) beta patch on steam that points to a downloadable version of uplink...

but I'm not sure if introversion still has the beta patch available anymore...I cannot seem to get it and I got my copy through steam

IMO I think the developers stopped caring about uplink and should just put the beta patch into release already

I'm quite sure that I don't know what you are talking about vis-a-via a beta patch. There is a 1.55 patch for Windows (and Linux?) running around somewhere, but that is not going to be helpful for someone with a Mac. The only real options for Mac users are (a) Steam, and (b) Ambrosia Software, unless one can download the Steam version to one computer, then copy the files to another.
EmptySet
level1
level1

Postby EmptySet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:I'm quite sure that I don't know what you are talking about vis-a-via a beta patch. There is a 1.55 patch for Windows (and Linux?) running around somewhere, but that is not going to be helpful for someone with a Mac. The only real options for Mac users are (a) Steam, and (b) Ambrosia Software, unless one can download the Steam version to one computer, then copy the files to another.

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=36362

Check the changelog for codecard.txt
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 pm

That just says it added codecard.txt to the download.
EmptySet
level1
level1

Postby EmptySet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:27 am

My mistake, I guess I've been misreading it this whole time.
:|

Return to “General”