level2

What are the best bits of Uplink?

Postby martinmir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm

The best bit?

Watching the trace as it tracks back to you, hoping you have enough time to finish what you are doing, and then cut the logs so you cannot be found. That beep.

That's it for me.

The beeping.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Rkiver wrote:The best bit?

Watching the trace as it tracks back to you, hoping you have enough time to finish what you are doing, and then cut the logs so you cannot be found. That beep.

That's it for me.

The beeping.

Indeed.

Also the start of the game, as it pretends to connect your computer to a gateway. It was very immersive, and I had a sudden chill: "This isn't real, right?" :P
Buchatar
level0

Postby Buchatar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:44 pm

(First post)
Aye the starting sequence when all the files are downloaded "always" puts me on edge. :D

Other than that, its all so much fun.

Until..

Until..

The screen goes black..
Snayke
level0

Postby Snayke » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:54 am

I just downloaded the Uplink demo yesterday and i have to say its down right brilliant!!
sticking to the topic, my favorite bit is the introduction by far!
It is an all around excellent game but that first bit really grabs your attention....... I will never get sick of it. :D
Norduo
level0

Postby Norduo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 pm

I really like to hack administration access in banks... then writing all accounts on a paper... and start checking for big cash amounts...
...Also like to visit GCD and put someone in jail :D
I would give Uplink 8/10 points... Very exciting game...
Davman
level1
level1

Postby Davman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:00 pm

As Rkiver said... the absolute stress when you are 90% through a difficult hack which took a while to set up and you are racing the clock, hoping your mouse clicks don't go astray!

Best by far :)
Davman
Hufterkruk
level0

Postby Hufterkruk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 pm

I actually like the extra stress it gives when I'm being traced FAST, and then click on the wrong program or something, it just gives me that extra "phew, that was close" feeling when I succeed.
2FAST4U
level0

Postby 2FAST4U » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Hacking a bank account for your first time on the user getting more than 500,000
Saberuneko
level0

Postby Saberuneko » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:10 pm

DEL
Scopus
level0

Postby Scopus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 pm

1. Sending random people to jail.

2. Also killing mainframes, alot of extra work goes into that.

3. Some of the most fun I have had on this game is when I stumbled on a bank account that had just transferred c140,000,000.

4. Screwing over guys who hire you to wipe out bank accounts. It's always fun to wipe theirs out when they've paid you.

5. Reading the news after doing something dastardly. It never gets old really.

6. The thrill when you dc with only seconds left.

7. Thinking up bogus charges to put on peoples records when in the read/write account on criminal databases. (my favorites are terrorism, prostitution, racketing, and assault with a not-so-deadly weapon)

This is after just a week and a half of playing this game.
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 am

When I'm bored, I make a copy of my usr file and authorize my own arrest and do my best to avoid getting caught (without clearing my criminal history) while doing the storyline.
camieabz
level0

Postby camieabz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

A bit late, but perhaps the post will get spotted.

For me, Uplink did something which few games manage to do. It kept me in my seat for days (bathrooms and sleep aside). It captured my imagination completely. I've never been the type to consider or want to consider breaching IT security, and it was one of the most enjoyable games I ever played.

In the beginning, I had to check it was really a game. I wasn't 100% sure. That was plus point one. The idea perhaps wasn't completely original, but the way it was produced made it like nothing I'd ever experienced in gaming.

I loved the fact that the game wasn't about score, or shooting or things like that. It was about do or don't, and you might not succeed. One of the best parts of the game was the fact that you couldn't save it (some people have worked around this, and it's made the game less than it is). Not saving the game, so you couldn't cheat the 'Game Over' bit was brilliant. Real life is like that. There are no second chances in real life if you get caught hacking.

In my opinion, the game was slightly weak on plot, in that there was pretty much one plot and you had to stick to it to enjoy the game fully. I'd love a future re-release with multiple plot lines, such as government employee trying to thwart hackers or frustrated teen syndrome, wreaking havoc for the sake of it...perhaps even a bit on network warfare between two warring nations. If you want more ideas, the rates are reasonable. :)

Sometimes the jobs on offer were slightly repetitive, but that's real life too!

Lastly, it was a great game because I didn't have (or want) multiplayer options. Just for once, here is a great game, and I immerse myself in it, and it's not a shoot em up, god game, or simulator. I still play games on emulators and dosbox. Games ranging from 1981 to 2004, and I compare them to the games of today. There's no contest. The games of today are head and shoulders in graphics and reality. However the old games that could be played on 4MB, or 640K or even 48K of RAM are head and shoulders on creativity, imagination and entertainment. If I want realism that badly and great cut scenes, I'll watch a film. ;)

Uplink combined the technology of the day with the imagination of great games past. Looking to download Defcon and Darwinia btw!
red rouge
level1
level1

Postby red rouge » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm

chabging my criminal hiostory to cool 8)

and then not getting a job because i have a criminal history of being cool
Sovereign
level0

Postby Sovereign » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 am

The introduction was amazing, and immediately gave a sense of immersion to the game.
Also, the game allowed me to end with a sense of satisfaction- you can control when and how you retire/are retired.
For example, in one account after beating the storyline, I decided to be a kind of protector for hackers everywhere- after finding their real names, I erased their criminal records, saved a few from jail by covering their logs for them, and improved their academic records.
In short:the way that introversion approached Uplink is just amazing.

camieabz wrote:A bit late, but perhaps the post will get spotted.

For me, Uplink did something which few games manage to do. It kept me in my seat for days (bathrooms and sleep aside). It captured my imagination completely. I've never been the type to consider or want to consider breaching IT security, and it was one of the most enjoyable games I ever played.

In the beginning, I had to check it was really a game. I wasn't 100% sure. That was plus point one. The idea perhaps wasn't completely original, but the way it was produced made it like nothing I'd ever experienced in gaming.

I loved the fact that the game wasn't about score, or shooting or things like that. It was about do or don't, and you might not succeed. One of the best parts of the game was the fact that you couldn't save it (some people have worked around this, and it's made the game less than it is). Not saving the game, so you couldn't cheat the 'Game Over' bit was brilliant. Real life is like that. There are no second chances in real life if you get caught hacking.

In my opinion, the game was slightly weak on plot, in that there was pretty much one plot and you had to stick to it to enjoy the game fully. I'd love a future re-release with multiple plot lines, such as government employee trying to thwart hackers or frustrated teen syndrome, wreaking havoc for the sake of it...perhaps even a bit on network warfare between two warring nations. If you want more ideas, the rates are reasonable. :)

Sometimes the jobs on offer were slightly repetitive, but that's real life too!

Lastly, it was a great game because I didn't have (or want) multiplayer options. Just for once, here is a great game, and I immerse myself in it, and it's not a shoot em up, god game, or simulator. I still play games on emulators and dosbox. Games ranging from 1981 to 2004, and I compare them to the games of today. There's no contest. The games of today are head and shoulders in graphics and reality. However the old games that could be played on 4MB, or 640K or even 48K of RAM are head and shoulders on creativity, imagination and entertainment. If I want realism that badly and great cut scenes, I'll watch a film. ;)

Uplink combined the technology of the day with the imagination of great games past. Looking to download Defcon and Darwinia btw!

Well said camieabz, well said.

Return to “General”