Problem with Ubuntu 7.10/Game crashes

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

nerdriot
level0

Problem with Ubuntu 7.10/Game crashes

Postby nerdriot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:09 am

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My guess would be, it's due to the fact that VIA Unichrome basically just sucks. I'm using Openchrome, but even that doesn't seem to help much.

Anyway, when I run Uplink (demo, 1.55), first, after a fresh install, it goes directly back to prompt. When I try running it again, the game seems to load. I get a black screen, and sound, but no visual. Then, the game locks up. Sound is still going, but my mouse is frozen, I can't force kill the program, nothing.

I found this weird message in the debug.log. Hopefully, someone can help me understand this (it may as well be in Chinese to me. I don't understand it at ALL):

uplink.bin.x86: via_tex.c:429: viaSwapOutWork: Assertion `sz == vmesa->total_alloc[heap]' failed

Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Thanks in advance!
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:40 am

This is a via driver Assertion.

You should really post this on Openchrome forum/mailling list.

Please keep us updated on the Openchrome front.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
nerdriot
level0

Postby nerdriot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 am

Thank you for the fast reply!

I posted the issue on openchrome-users, so hopefully, I'll get a reply soon. If it helps fix the issue (or at least resolves it), I'll post it here, just in case someone else has a similar issue

Thanks again :)
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:04 am

Oh God, I used those integrated graphics - no end of trouble until I got a card. I hope you plan to upgrade at some point.
Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.
nerdriot
level0

Postby nerdriot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:10 am

Yeah, I definitely do. This is the 4th issue I've had with this card. I have a similar model in a low-end IBM I bought, and on this machine, it has one as well.

I have a Dell, but, I've seen plenty of folks who've had issues with Dell's factory video card in Linux, too.

If I weren't so damned poor (I'm a musician, so... yeah. Poor.), I'd just run out and get myself a nice Geforce.

Return to “General”