Problem exiting game

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

JgzMan
level0

Problem exiting game

Postby JgzMan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:28 am

I am currently experiencing a problem exiting Uplink. (demo version) When I close out of my active game, it presents me with a login screen. (I've seen it on my other computer) However, the eee PC I'm running it on has an odd resolution setting, (800x480) and I cannot see any buttons, only the very top edge of the username/password box. I tried all the usual button combinations, and nothing worked. I could not find an options menu to change the resolution of the game. I cannot change the resolution of my monitor. (not without more twiddling than I wish to do right now)

I very much wish to buy the full version, but I do not wish to have to hard-kill my machine after every game. Please advise.
T4
level1
level1

Postby T4 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:44 am

Have you tried ALT+F4, ALT+X, any other combinations depending on your OS?

After you leave the main part of the game (where you actually play the game), and you're back at the login screen, your game has been saved anyway, so it doesn't matter if you don't close the game "properly". If all else fails, you could kill the Uplink process at this time without doing (too much?) damage.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:47 am

If you're using Windows, rightclick on the desktop & click Properties. Then go to Settings & change the resolution there.
JgzMan
level0

Postby JgzMan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Microchip: I'm using linux, and an odd version of linux at that. The only way to change resolution is to install non-standard drivers. I may go for that at some point in the future, but the screen is quite small enough. (7 inches)

T4: I tried several of the 'standard' combinations, but I'm not sure I tried those. I know I tried CAD for the task manager (no response) Ctrl-Alt-Esc to minimize, Alt-TAB to switch windows, and a few others. I will try the two you have suggested.

By 'hard-kill' I a mean that I must hold down the power button until the computer shuts down. If I press power, the shutdown dialog pops up, but will not respond to keystrokes of mouse.

somone on the eee PC forums claims that the issue can be solved by running

./uplink '!graphics_screenwidth' 800 '!graphics_screenheight' 480

but that it will not save the game.
Before suggesting things that involve code, please recall that I'm new to linux.

EDIT: after starting the game (demo) I have discovered that is appears not to save my game anyway. Is this a demo-feature, or possibly a compatibility problem with Xandros?

I'm beginning to miss windows.

EDIT MORE: After additional looking around, I have determined that I can use the OPTIONS menu to set resolution down to 800x480, but I cannot REACH the options button. Can it be activated 'in game' as opposed to the login screen?
As well, I expect that the lack of save-game may have to do with permissions for linux. I will poke that a bit. Any tips or advice would be most welcome.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 am

Try running in windowed mode in 640x480?

JgzMan wrote:EDIT: after starting the game (demo) I have discovered that is appears not to save my game anyway. Is this a demo-feature, or possibly a compatibility problem with Xandros?

Is there a ~/.uplink/ directory? Is there any files in it? If it doesn't exists try create it?

Do you play the latest version of the demo?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
JgzMan
level0

Postby JgzMan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:09 am

Yes, there is a /.uplink directory. I wound up changing the permissions for it.

I also (on the advice of a guy from eee PC forum) ran the executable with the screenwidth and screenheight parameters. Worked like a dream.

So, I bought the retail. Set everything up. Checked my permissions, made sure everything was good. Ran the game, with the screensize parameters.

./uplink: line 44: 14324 Segmentation fault $here/lib/uplink.bin.x86 "$@"

So, since I've paid money, I hope I can get it to work, again.

As usual, any help would be, eh, helpful.

ALMOST bought Defcon, but it chugged on my computer like you wouldn't belive. I was very disappointed.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 am

I gather Defcon is being heavily optimised, and might be better in a new patch. No promises.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
JgzMan
level0

Postby JgzMan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 am

OK, everything is golden now.

I moved into the probedevice file, and changed the removable media type: ex2 (which my card is formatted as) with a statement fmask=113,umask=113,dmask=002

Now, when I mount the SD card, (automatically on insert) it renders all files and directories writable. I think. That's certainly how it appears to be working anyway.

In any case, it's good as gold. I will certainly keep an eye on DefCon. I'll probably buy it for my Desktop, where the Demo ran beautifully. I just hope I can get it to work for the e^3 as well. Would be fun to play in my Political Science class. Could even claim it was classwork. "Practical Model of aggressive foreign policy" or something.

Return to “General”