Hey Chris

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Carver
level1
level1

Postby Carver » Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:30 pm

so I tried counting all the machines generated in the game (and placed after the phone numbers) in the .usr file, but it's real late and my vision is kinda blurry so I think I counted 200 machines and 50 phone numbers, are these numbers random? or is it static b/t users?

The reason I'm asking is because I don't see any marker b/t the phone # section and the machine section therefore the marker must be in the header of the file as either a number of entries in each section or as the offset of the beginning of the next section (but it's not an offset :( )

I'm trying to understand the .usr file so I can write a parser for it - because, well, what else should i be doing @ 6:30 in the morning? (and no, I didn't just wake up early)

And um, what's up with all the duplicate string data? I'm seeing 2 identical strings per entry in the phone and machine segments...

And why is the options file tagged as SAV56 when it's not a save file and allows me to do messed up stuff like change the resolution and change the input type (textbox/checkbox) of the data therein??

Sorry, many questions - but the programmer in me is *really curious* about your file structures :)

-Carver-

ps - I prolly have more questions. :) :)

Return to “General”