Questions Regarding Bounce

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Blaine
level1
level1

Postby Blaine » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:37 am

Well, I asked this question in another thread, but I figured an answer would be more likely by starting a new thread.

Are there disadvantages to bouncing from say, 20 computers to the target? Is there are limit to the number of networks you can bounce?

If the answer is no on both counts, will traces become more advanced basicially requiring/negating the worldwide bounce?
mahldcat
level1
level1

Postby mahldcat » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:48 am

when I'm doing a major hack (such as arc's mainframe)...I use close to 40 bounces....I alwasy go with gateway->internic->academicdbase->3rd easily hacked system->bouce around...I also always bounce through banks since you can get accounts on 'em.....

Theoretically if you don't have an account on a system it will take only a few seconds to pass through..however if you have root access on a machine I had it take like up to 3 times as long...same thing if you have an account (eg the bank)...the reason why I do internic and academic dbase is because they are easy to hack....I put 'em inline right before my gateway simply because that gives me more time before I HAVE To disconnect to avoid an active trace....

Immediately after I hack something I go into the ac dbase and MODIFY the logs of the academic dbase...the one right before the admin login should contain a bounce log...I then modify those two values w/ a log modifier program--Not the deleter...haven't used log deleter for very much...maybe to cover my tracks on a hacked system...... this will then break the chain so the tracing party can't get a fix on you via a passive trace....

Mahldcat
VeSpA
level2
level2

Postby VeSpA » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:43 am

how about that? log_deleter_v3, delete/change every log, and then goto console and delete the logs... could that be retraced by a log_undeleter? *wondering*
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning.
Blaine
level1
level1

Postby Blaine » Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:13 am

Quote: from mahldcat on 1:48 am on Oct. 14, 2001[br]Theoretically if you don't have an account on a system it will take only a few seconds to pass through..however if you have root access on a machine I had it take like up to 3 times as long...same thing if you have an account (eg the bank).

So there are no downfalls to bouncing say 100 times, other than the fact that the logs from the computers will show a bounce?

Hm...well if you delete the logs from the target computer, you'll be pretty much untracable from there (as far as I know) therefore everyone else can have their logs as the target will not know where I came from.

Is it possible to hack into a computer as the admin and then create a new account for yourself?
TacKat
level1
level1

Postby TacKat » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:56 pm

The problem with not deleting any logs except for the ones on your target is that you will always leave behind a "disconnect" entry. If someone were to look at the logs and see an IP disconnected, but there is no record of it ever being connected in the first place, that might be a little suspicious.

Using the log modifier you can still be tracked. If you use the log undeleter on a modified log, it returns it to the original condition. The only way you can be absolutely that a log won't be recovered is to use LD v4. Even then you could theoretically still be traced (if the person looking at the logs was smart enough) because when you hack into a system on your chain you leave connect/disconnect entries.

Return to “General”