[Suggestion] Staff have a heart too!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

zetathix
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Staff have a heart too!

Postby zetathix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Why staff do not have a need? Could it possible to add a option when start a new game, "staff need", which unlock the schedule and needs for staff. When you select this, staff will need to go to using utility, go to staff canteen for a meal, or napping in bunk at staff dormitory. This option will add a depth and difficulty to game, which is good.

Staff schedule maybe not have a lot of activity to do, just eat, poop/pee, sleep, make you need to build some sections for them and more focusing with switching their shift. Your idea with prison's layout need to change with staff too, so I think this is interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other thing is please add something to control visitor flow, I think sometime visitors just try to find the way to visitor room and this is just a mess when they try to pass every door type. Maybe use a click on zone deployment to toggle between staff only and staff+visitor.
xander
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Staff have a heart too!

Postby xander » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am

The staff do have a need for rest. Beyond that, the lack of staff needs places narrative emphasis on the prisoners, rather than the staff. It is an interesting decision that I, for one, rather like. I would prefer not to have the staff individualized or given human needs and motivations.

xander
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 am

Yeah, I have to agree with xander. Other than sleep, they can pretty much cover all their "needs" while in the staff room resting. You don't need to actually have them all individually listed.

Technically even a sleep need can be taken care of in a staff room. When I used to work 24hr shifts at the hospital, we had couches and stretchers in the lounge for anyone who needed to close their eyes for an hour or so.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 am

blipadouzi wrote:Yeah, I have to agree with xander. Other than sleep, they can pretty much cover all their "needs" while in the staff room resting. You don't need to actually have them all individually listed.

Technically even a sleep need can be taken care of in a staff room. When I used to work 24hr shifts at the hospital, we had couches and stretchers in the lounge for anyone who needed to close their eyes for an hour or so.

Plus I've always just assumed that each staff member actually represents somewhere between two and four actually people. But because the staff aren't really the focus of the game, the actually going home from work or changing of the guard simply isn't represented by the game.

xander
YMS
level1
level1

Postby YMS » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am

The staff satisfying most of their needs at home with the player concentrating on the prisoners, which don't have that possibility, is a good thing, yes. But still the staff could have some needs that add some twists in the game.

E.g. bladder - usually the staff could try to go to toilet during resting phases, simply requiring the player to build a staff room that's a bit more realistic, as it's having some restrooms. But every once in a while, they'd have to do some urgent business while assigned to patrol somewhere, giving the prisoners a spot to break free.

Or hygiene - currently just nobody (except the janitors) cares whether staff-only rooms are a complete mess or nice tidy places. So the janitors are working for nothing there. If your whole prison is a dirty wreck, then everybody's mood should go down, not only the prisoners'.

Or food - yes, they could have a sandwich while resting. But that's boring for them, and the need to build a staff canteen or reserve some staff timeslots in the prisoners' canteen would add some infrastructural demands and thus complexity to the game.

Unsatisfied staff could get aggressive, they could demand salary increases, just walk slower or work careless (e.g. an unsatisfied guard searching a cell would be less likely to find contraband).
Gangrene
level1
level1

Postby Gangrene » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:43 am

I'll have to think about this for a while...

Can we make a Positive / Negative post showing why this would be a good or bad idea to implement?

Return to “Community Members”