Auto placing of lights

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

GodBlock
level1
level1

Auto placing of lights

Postby GodBlock » Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I would very much like to see an option to turn off the auto creation of lights when a foundation has been finished, I rarely use the default layout and it costs me money to buy the few lights that I quickly cancel and/or dismantle/dump.

::EDIT::

This has become much more noticeable as I have started to build huge foundations which I then separate out into smaller rooms inside.
mMaster
level1
level1

Postby mMaster » Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm

I think it's a good idea.

When i build a large structure, i need to clic on light one by one to cancel installation.
It's not to bad because i reuse all light and it's take me 5-10 seconds to cancel light installation.

But i think it's good idea to have more option for the foundation menu.

1. Normal foundation like now (foundation,wall,light)
2. Foundation without light (foundation,wall)
3. Bulldoze
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

acegamer08 wrote:you know you can hold down the right mouse button (after clicking the dismantle items icon) and scroll over all the lights at once and cancel them; if your fast enough (right as the room is finishing), you dont get charged nor have lots of lights in storage

EDIT: This post is wrong, the tips below totally work. :)

There's no way to avoid the charge since they're purchased as soon as the job is queued. Exceptions are if you don't have enough money to buy the lights, or if you already have enough in storage.
Last edited by HerrJoebob on Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:53 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:
acegamer08 wrote:you know you can hold down the right mouse button (after clicking the dismantle items icon) and scroll over all the lights at once and cancel them; if your fast enough (right as the room is finishing),EDIT you avoid the hassle of clicking every single light to delete them. (i have hundreds of lights in storage, so i hardly ever get charged...forgot about that)

There's no way to avoid the charge since they're purchased as soon as the job is queued. Exceptions are if you don't have enough money to buy the lights, or if you already have enough in storage.

above post corrected, forgot about that (see EDIT above)
mMaster
level1
level1

Postby mMaster » Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 pm

acegamer08 wrote
You know you can hold down the right mouse button (after clicking the dismantle items icon) and scroll over all the lights at once and cancel them; if your fast enough (right as the room is finishing)

Thanks for the tips.

:D
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm

...regreting giving that tip to a forum of fuckers like geez madman neo and xan...oh well
Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:There's no way to avoid the charge since they're purchased as soon as the job is queued. Exceptions are if you don't have enough money to buy the lights, or if you already have enough in storage.

There's a brief moment when you can cancel them before they are ordered. If you cancel them in this period (for example through pausing the game) you avoid paying for them.

GodBlock wrote:it costs me money to buy the few lights that I quickly cancel

As long as you don't dump them, you still use them later on. This means that if you place lights elsewhere later on, you'll not have t pay for them again. Sure, it may cost you time, but it generally doesn't really cost (much) money.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I've also noticed this. I have a very specific light setup for my cell blocks, and rarely does the system place the lights where I want them. It's not a huge deal, but it'd remove a lot of hassle of needing to pay such close attention.

It'd also be nice, but less necessary, to be able to place foundations without walls. This would mostly be useful for when I'm doing stuff like filling in hallways or creating covered walkways.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue May 21, 2013 10:04 pm

acegamer08 wrote:no offence herrjoebob but you can avoid the charges.

None taken! I'm still skeptical but have to admit it's possible I just never hit the sweet spot with timing.

In any case, I like the idea of having a "no lights" option under the foundations menu.
Maltanis
level0

Postby Maltanis » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I always thought it would be useful if planning mode and foundations could be used to auto build walls instead of me having to place them after. Then the lights would go in around the walls you want, instead of over them.

Thoughts?
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Maltanis wrote:I always thought it would be useful if planning mode and foundations could be used to auto build walls instead of me having to place them after. Then the lights would go in around the walls you want, instead of over them.

Thoughts?

That's an interesting idea. Basically, when you lay a foundation, if there's any planned walls inside of it, the workers would automatically build those walls.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:32 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:
acegamer08 wrote:no offence herrjoebob but you can avoid the charges.

None taken! I'm still skeptical but have to admit it's possible I just never hit the sweet spot with timing.

It's quite easy: Watch the job queue; when the workmen have finished adding the last tile to a foundation, immediately pause the game. The building will still convert from finished foundation to finished building, even while paused. After it has converted, cancel all the light jobs, then unpause the game again and you won't be charged.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

That's an interesting idea. Basically, when you lay a foundation, if there's any planned walls inside of it, the workers would automatically build those walls.[/quote]

that would be nice

Return to “Community Members”