[suggestion] The rain in the game should mainly be a pain

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Whaddya reckon?

Yay
71%
Nay
29%

Total votes: 65
paktsardines
level5
level5

[suggestion] The rain in the game should mainly be a pain

Postby paktsardines » Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 am

I know there's been a few posts previously about weather and seasons, but I think rain could be particularly interesting.

I was thinking that every now and then there should be a 'rain' day to make life duller for the prisoners and more interesting for the player.
During said 'rain day' the following could apply:

1. Prisoners get more irritable the longer they're outside (walking between buildings etc).
2. For this reason players should not schedule yard time in the rain, or risk majorly pissed prisoners.
3. Depending on how long the rain lasts, some minor flooding around intersections of large pipes/drains. This could lead to electrocutions.
4. All outside construction/maintenance should cease, or workers risk elecrocution through lightning strikes.

[edit:] 5. Some kind of 'forecast' icon thingy to help players plan for possible rain days.
Last edited by paktsardines on Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryajmarya
level1
level1

Postby Aryajmarya » Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 am

Don't forget, if the player wants to turn certain weather options off, he should be able to from the Create New Prison screen. Otherwise, +1 to rain
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:29 pm

With this we should be able to plan for 'contingency regimes'. As in you can save a regime that you would use for a rainy day and it wouldn't include any outside activity or if the prisoners are getting aggressive you can load another regime which will be much more controlled or offer more free time.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Sat May 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Given the odds of being struck by lightning, I don't see how making thunderstorms something to dread would add anything of value to the game.

Making prisoners irritable simply because it's raining outside also seems a bit far fetched. There are plenty of catalysts for angry prisoners already.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 am

could the forcast be researched? and i hate to say this, but some idiots going to ask sooner or later to have a togglable option..
With the sincerest regards,
111none
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:51 am

Aryajmarya wrote:Don't forget, if the player wants to turn certain weather options off, he should be able to from the Create New Prison screen. Otherwise, +1 to rain

The toggle request has already been made, I think it's a fair request though for those wanting to play in a true sandbox mode.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun May 12, 2013 3:18 am

Given the odds of being struck by lightning, I don't see how making thunderstorms something to dread would add anything of value to the game.

IRL, doing any sort of outside work during a storm in such a wide, open area would be foolish.

The reason the odds are typically so low is because so few people are foolish enough to stand on their roofs waving tools in the air in the middle of a thunderstorm.

But yeah, make lightning and rain toggle-able and keep everyone happy.

Making prisoners irritable simply because it's raining outside also seems a bit far fetched

I think you misread the post. I said that prisoners' irritability should increase the longer they are outside (that is, the longer they are getting cold, wet and rained on). Doesn't sound far-fetched at all.
Last edited by paktsardines on Sun May 12, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentonio
level0

Postby Kentonio » Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 am

Why not just change yard time to free time when its raining? It'd break up the routine nicely. Perhaps also change outdoor vision at night time if its raining so escapes would be easier.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun May 12, 2013 3:24 am

Sure, though I think regime changes should be left to the player to perform.

But reduced visibility making escapes easier is brilliant!

edit:
could the forcast be researched?

+1
Last edited by paktsardines on Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 am

Kentonio wrote:Why not just change yard time to free time when its raining? It'd break up the routine nicely. Perhaps also change outdoor vision at night time if its raining so escapes would be easier.

Side Note:
What about having the prisoners get bored of being in a "rut" for too long, as in the irritability increases if the same regime is used for too long a time period?
--Namj13
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 am

paktsardines wrote:IRL, doing any sort of outside work during a storm in such a wide, open area would be foolish.

The reason the odds are typically so low is because so few people are foolish enough to stand on their roofs waving tools in the air in the middle of a thunderstorm.

You really think that's why being struck by lightning is so rare? Because you're not waving a metal object around?

Let's put this in perspective:

First, less than 24,000 people die worldwide from lightning strikes. Lightning strikes the earth 44 times per second. That puts the number of lightning strikes per year at about 1.4 billion. Yes, that's billion with a "B".

This means that you have roughly a 1 in 58,000 chance of being struck by lighting while standing in the middle of a storm, waving whatever object you like in your hands. Hardly a likely scenario.

Secondly, it's exceedingly rare because lightning seeks the shortest path to complete the circuit from cloud to ground. Lightning always strikes the tallest object in that area. No matter what, a tree or building is much more likely to be struck than a person standing inside of a walled prison with structures and high metal fences surrounding him.

Sorry, implementing a feature where your prisoners can be struck by lighting would be not only unrealistic, but it would be an entirely silly game mechanic to introduce in a product that is reasonably grounded in reality.

I said that prisoners' irritability should increase the longer they are outside (that is, the longer they are getting cold, wet and rained on). Doesn't sound far-fetched at all.

I'd wager that someone who is sentenced to life in prison and decades of confinement would enjoy the 1 or 2 hours they get to breathe fresh air outside, regardless of a little drizzle coming down. I've never been in prison, but I guarantee that inmates are a little more accustomed to unpleasant things than you are giving them credit for.

I hate to shoot down anyone's suggestions, but these ideas just aren't believable. Unless your goal is to frustrate the player with highly improbable scenarios, they don't add anything of value to the game.

On a side note, the 30-year average for lightning strike deaths in the United States per year is only 52 people. To put that in perspective, you are literally 3 times more likely to be killed by a falling coconut than by a bolt of lightning :D
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon May 13, 2013 7:55 am

lightning seeks the shortest path to complete the circuit from cloud to ground. Lightning always strikes the tallest object in that area.

Lightning takes the path of least resistance, these are not the same thing. If you're on a roof holding something metal then you may well be the path of least resistance, particularly if that item is pointy as this allows the most electrons to concentrate in the smallest area. Look at the number of golfers struck by lighning while playing golf, even though there's no shortage of mcuh taller trees around.

When was the last time you looked at OHSA guidelines for construction sites in your country? I'll wager there's a clause in there about not working outside during thunderstorms.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm

paktsardines wrote:Lightning takes the path of least resistance, these are not the same thing.

Actually, as lightning goes through the air, which has quite a high resistance, is all around us and has roughly the same resistance everywhere (around you), you roughly get the same as the shortest path. The resistance of the tree may be high, but the thing it has to compete with is the resistance of the extra air it had to go through otherwise, not so much the resistance of the person himself.

paktsardines wrote: Look at the number of golfers struck by lighning while playing golf, even though there's no shortage of mcuh taller trees around.

Tress on golf course? That's a new one...
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 am

The resistance of the tree may be high, but the thing it has to compete with is the resistance of the extra air it had to go through otherwise, not so much the resistance of the person himself.

No shit, but the resistance of the air is considerably lower when the humidity is high (eg, when there's a thunderstorm), making you a more viable target. Sure it's a tradeoff, but youtube is full of videos of people getting struck by lightning when there are taller things around.
Trees on golf course? That's a new one...

I said AROUND. This is just petty and pointless and has no relation to the original post.

Look, if you still don't believe me, try it for yourself. Next time there's a thunderstorm, go stand on your roof with a golf club in your hand. Then limp your smoldering ass back here and tell us the results.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue May 14, 2013 3:20 am

paktsardines wrote:
Great Magical Hat wrote:Trees on golf course? That's a new one...

I said AROUND. (snip)

Here in the Portland area of Oregon, everything has trees on it including golf courses. They generally design the courses around large stands of old growth.

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, a pretty good idea that I wish hadn't been derailed.

Return to “Community Members”