new and at mo regretting purchase

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:02 am

mrgreaper wrote:didnt release that continuous intake could be toggled on/off in game.

Sorry, I meant manually editing the save file (although there are a couple of save file editors now, so that's more or less a click of a button - just not in-game)

I agree about the large prison size, although if I'm honest even the small prison is huge. You can easily accommodate over 150 prisoners in there.
Das_Wuff
level1
level1

Postby Das_Wuff » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 am

As far as I know, it can't be toggled in game, but it can be set when you make a new map as of Alpha-2.
kadawg13
level1
level1

Postby kadawg13 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 am

I'm not positive about the cracks in the walls but if you research and hire a janitor he will clean up the prison for you, that will clean up the cracks on the floor at least.
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:37 am

Janitors clean in a 3x3 area, so cleaning a tile next to a wall also helps clean the wall, same with gardeners.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 am

well i had another quick try before work, its better now i know about grants, but certainly not worth £20 ($30).

My local lepidopterologist* shop had a special on an early version of a Sapho Longwing last week, so I picked one up for a bargain $30. Best money I ever spent.

At the moment I can't do much with it; just poke it occasionally and watch it sit there in a jar. But that's okay, because I get to watch it develop over its whole life-cycle, and I know one day it will do this:
http://www.smashinglists.com/wp-content ... ngwing.jpg

Stop whinging about the alpha not being worth $30. You didn't pay $30 for the alpha, you paid $30 for the finished game. In the meantime you get to poke it and watch it develop over its full life-cycle, and know that one day it will do that.

* google is your friend.
Last edited by paktsardines on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Das_Wuff
level1
level1

Postby Das_Wuff » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 am

paktsardines wrote:
well i had another quick try before work, its better now i know about grants, but certainly not worth £20 ($30).

My local lepidopterology* shop had a special on an early version of a Sapho Longwing last week, so I picked one up for a bargain $30. Best money I ever spent.

At the moment I can't do much with it; just poke it occasionally and watch it sit there in a jar. But that's okay, because I get to I get to watch it develop over its whole life-cycle, and I know one day it will do this:

Stop whinging about the alpha not being worth $30. You didn't pay $30 for the alpha, you paid $30 for the finished game. In the meantime you get to poke it and watch it develop over its full life-cycle, and know that one day it will do that.

* google is your friend.

+1
mrgreaper
level0

Postby mrgreaper » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 am

Thought we were moving away from flaming me. I'll post how I got on with my play second session when more awake and less likely to be annoyed by trolls.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 am

Didn't intend to annoy, just to explain why it really is worth $30. Similarly, it wasn't specifically directed at you, just that there have been so many posts over the weeks about how $30 is too much for the alpha. It is frustrating.

Perhaps I should grow a pair and post it stickied in general.
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:54 am

paktsardines wrote:Stop whinging about the alpha not being worth $30. You didn't pay $30 for the alpha, you paid $30 for the finished game. In the meantime you get to poke it and help shape and develop it, as well as direct line of communication to Introversion over its full life-cycle, and know that one day you helped make the finished game what it is.

Sounds a bit better now :3

To the OP, even though you've been in one or more alpha tests before, most developers even with an alpha release only open it to the public when most of the game is complete, simply because they don't want to risk losing prospective customers to lack of features. However they also don't have the same level of communication with the development team as Introversion have given us here. Instead of saying "this is whats in it, come test for bugs before release", we're being asked "this is what we've thought, which would you like us to focus on next?"

To answer some of your points anyway:

1) a faster skip time (essential) - if the modification to time dilation stays, definitely for large maps.

2) If the player sits continus prisoner mode to off, have a button the gives him his first 8 prisoners on press of it, waiting till 8 am after your prison is ready for some to be told that you need another 24 hours for delivery of them is what caused the most twiddling thummbs (24 hours is 24 minutes at fastest time) - can't remember where, but I made a suggestion on having the prisoner check at 8pm instead of 8am, just a 12hr wait then.

3) possible bug, when the game is saved if prisoners are coming, and reloaded the prisoners are no longer coming then at 8am (when they should arrive) it tells you they will be there in 24 hours - known bug

4) let us rename prisoners (its always fun to put your mates in jail after all, ummm why are you looking at me like that?)
5) let us give the prisoners a bio or rap sheet...ok its completly cosmetic, but it will pass the time when waiting for stuff to happen.
6) as with our prisoners let us name our staff....i dont care about "guard" but if he was my good friend "Terry Liggett" i would be a bit more interested in his day to day interactions with the prisoners

All three above, not sure if IV are going to let you or keep it purely for those that paid for naming rights, but since theres already programs made that let you change prisoner names...

7) tooltips!!!!!! - I'm 98% sure they'll be expanded later on, along with proper object names (rather than current no spaces, such as ingredientsCooked, etc). As for canteen benches and tables, a report is here

8) Cool minor thing ...let us change that $ into a £ ...i can relate to £ - It's rare to see any game lately use £. Its kinda depressing :(

9) when adding a building next to an existing building allow it to use the already placed door in the adjoining wall - here

10) the default floor you get with new rooms seems to have the same scuffs as the floor before the room was placed, its free so thats not so bad but it would be good if you could choose the flooring rather then always having checkerboard - When you designate rooms, it doesn't change the flooring material at all, the check pattern is merely a visual aid in identifying room areas. You can choose to use a different material, which will still be fairly visible under the check pattern. It would be nice to be able to toggle that view off though, for those who know what rooms are where... (goes to mantis)

Hope you get into it soon anyway, even as it is, once you get a few prisoners it really is a lot of fun :)
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 am

paktsardines wrote:

My local lepidopterologist* shop had a special on an early version of a Sapho Longwing last week, so I picked one up for a bargain $30. Best money I ever spent.

At the moment I can't do much with it; just poke it occasionally and watch it sit there in a jar. But that's okay, because I get to watch it develop over its whole life-cycle, and I know one day it will do this:

I enjoy this argument.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:13 pm

If you want to stop the continuous intake, just reduce the delivery area so that it doesn't touch the road, the prisoners will just drive past..lol...When you're ready, expand the area to touch the road & you'll have prisoners coming again :)
mrgreaper
level0

Postby mrgreaper » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:31 pm

well i had some prisoners and a little bit more fun, this time i put the session onto youtube (ok it cut the last minute as twitch only sends 2 hour slots)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbMwtJDnvE[/video]

@Azarath, thank you for the clarifications and reply. 12 hour wait would indeed be better i know its only half the amount of time but wait 12 minutes sounds like nothing where as wait 24 minutes seems a lifetime.
Im hopeful that introvision will open it up for us to edit the files atleast a forename and surname like in uplink (hmmm thinking about it i seem to renember having to create the file and the game using it......must look into that again) those that got naming rights were, in my opinion paying to get thier name in by default, the name changes i propse would be limited to ofcourse my game.
The lack of £ in games is depressing, we lost the "Great Brittain" a long time ago to be simply called UK and in the last year GMT is slowly being replaced with UTC, untill i saw the dollar sign i hadnt realised introvision were a usa company i had believed them to be British, cant fault them for wanting to use thier own currency i guess but a simple "what curency symbol do you want to use : BLANK BOX" and we can then use pounds, dollars, yen, chicken lips, euros etc etc

@paktsardines, sorry for taking it personly just seemed i posted my opinion, my disapointment and got attacked for it. I had hoped that had stoped when people could see i wasnt attacking the company or game, i wasnt being a troll just sharing my feedback, watch the video links i posted a few posts back and you can see why i felt how i did. also in this case google was not my friend, the wikki helped me out more once i discovered the hidden part of it (ie the bit not on the main menu that tells you about grants etc)

I`ll be 100% honest and say at the moment i still dont feel good about my purchase BUT (put down them pitchforks!) I can see a lot more of potential to it now.

I have two suggestions from my last session,
Change the texture for dirty prison...the cracks make it look like the walls are coming down etc, had it not of been for the inside floor becomes outside floor i would of been smashing and replacing that wall a lot.
more grants over time, they give objectives, structure.

I also have a few more questions:
1) still want to know how long a prisoner will be with me? (is that not implemented yet?)
2) how do you use the electric chair?
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

1) still want to know how long a prisoner will be with me? (is that not implemented yet?)

The search function works really well. Both of these questions have been covered in detail.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

mrgreaper wrote:Im hopeful that introvision will open it up for us to edit the files atleast a forename and surname like in uplink (hmmm thinking about it i seem to renember having to create the file and the game using it......must look into that again) those that got naming rights were, in my opinion paying to get thier name in by default, the name changes i propse would be limited to ofcourse my game.
The lack of £ in games is depressing, we lost the "Great Brittain" a long time ago to be simply called UK and in the last year GMT is slowly being replaced with UTC, untill i saw the dollar sign i hadnt realised introvision were a usa company i had believed them to be British, cant fault them for wanting to use thier own currency i guess but a simple "what curency symbol do you want to use : BLANK BOX" and we can then use pounds, dollars, yen, chicken lips, euros etc etc

Look around the forums and you'll see that all of the game data files are editable, including the names. Prisoner names aren't currently retained, as they aren't kept in the save file. That may or may not ever be a feature, but you can certainly add and replace names in the game.

Introversion is a UK company, based in Cambridge afaik. As to the currency, why do people care? It's alpha2, at what point in any full-blooded game does what currency symbol you use actually matter a damn? Leave it be. I agree with Azarath who made the comment in the actual thread where it's discussed - currency should be leaves.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 pm

ronanc wrote:

The search function works really well. Both of these questions have been covered in detail.

The search function is actually a bit crap, but a Google search with the search term "site:forums.introversion.co.uk" often works when the on-board search functionality fails. :P

xander

Return to “Community Members”