Staff not eating

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Duncandonut
level1
level1

Staff not eating

Postby Duncandonut » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Ok, so I just built my biggest prison to date (600+ prisoners) and enabled staff needs at the start. I have 3 separate staff canteens, yet my staff are not eating at all. In fact it has gotten so bad that my guards are going on killing sprees and beating prisoners to death with their batons. Each canteen is full of food, the canteens are set to staff only and are adjacent to the staff rest rooms. The rest rooms have toilets etc... which the staff are using. However they are just not eating.

Now I have had a look online and have found a few posts where people have had similar issues. Some suggest making the canteens staff rooms, another suggested building a kitchen in each staff room. All of this I have tried, all to no avail. Do any of you fellow Prison Architects have any suggestions ? Have any of you suffered from this as well ? If so what did you do to rectify it.

P.S. Whilst typing this my guards have killed 84 prisoners. Incoming call from CEO.
dearmad
level0

Re: Staff not eating

Postby dearmad » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:34 am

Ouch I hope this gets sorted out if it's a bug. Been putting off playing PA in favor of Rimworld right now. So maybe a patch can happen before I enter the PA gameworld.
ArachnidGoat
level0

Postby ArachnidGoat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 am

I too am experiencing some difficulties with this. But heres what i've found/come across. I read that the Staff canteen DOES NOT need a kitchen supply, their food is delivered. But, you still need a serving table (i think, i don't know what else the food would be placed on). The thing is, the cooks will begin filling that serving table with prisoner food, thus blocking the table to be used for staff food only. I too have made it a staff only canteen. The only thing i can think to do, is Remove it from it being NEAR a kitchen, and place it closer to the deliveries, so then the cooks have to take more time to fill it, where as a workman will quickly place the food there. Once there is staff food on the table, i don't have any issues. I did notice that they enjoy plenty of time to eat and take their breaks, so i had to max those out (240 mins, 6 breaks). And then at that point, every guard is on break together, and prisoners start going bonkers.

Edit- I found this too
http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/di ... 345643814/
In case you want to revert your save file to having no staff needs. I did.
Duncandonut
level1
level1

Postby Duncandonut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Ok, built a new prison of the same size and only placed one canteen and staff room. Made it quite large to accommodate my staff numbers. Seemed to work ok. However when I made 2 canteens things seemed to go awry again with the staff not eating and going on killing sprees. Will test again to see if it is down to having 2 canteens that is causing the issues.
mememachine
level0

Postby mememachine » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:35 am

Here's a fix: Place a serving table in your staffroom and make sure to have places to sit and they will eat the staff food and the cooks will clean the food trays
Duncandonut
level1
level1

Postby Duncandonut » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm

mememachine wrote:Here's a fix: Place a serving table in your staffroom and make sure to have places to sit and they will eat the staff food and the cooks will clean the food trays

All my staff canteens have serving tables and benches/tables. That save is still broken and the guards are still murdering prisoners. None have eaten even though there is plenty of food (Fruit/Crisps/Sandwiches) on the serving table.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:17 pm

I couldn't get a second staff room to have food delivered to it, so I'm still using one for now. I'm keeping things fairly stable with 1 staff break lasting 120-150 minutes, which is enough time for everyone to walk to the one staff room I have. Not ideal though; would be nice if the food distributed itself.

That's not necessarily your issue though. You said the serving tables are full of food. Are there trays there as well? I had this problem come up early on with a serving table full of food, but no serving trays. They won't eat without a serving tray. I remedied the problem by adding more sinks to the kitchen, and also added a second serving table. I haven't determined if the latter was necessary, but it almost looked like the game was trying to maintain a distribution of serving trays based on the ratio of serving tables in food-centric room types. Could have been my imagination. Regarding the former, prisoner canteens took priority for trays (or perhaps that's just a layout issue since they're closer in my setup), so the kitchen couldn't keep up with clean trays for the staff room.

I said earlier it would be nice if the food distributed among staff rooms, but that may be difficult to do. How does the game know which rooms each staff will wind up eating in, assuming they go to the closest. Perhaps it would be best if the game filled them completely. It's not like they spoil in the current simulation.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:12 pm

My initial attempts to remedy the lack of trays issue was only a stopgap. Even with more serving tables in the staff room and more cooks and kitchens to improve the flow of trays, peek prisoner eating times was still had a problem for tray demand in the staff room. I noticed, however, in the food logistics view that the staff room had an icon like a prisoner canteen, but wasn't hooked up to a kitchen. Manually making the connection from two kitchens (why not in case one is really busy?) to the staff room fixed the problem for good. Now I have full 40+ stacks of serving trays delivered to the staff room serving tables, which at least balances and matches up with the prisoner canteens. Note that a large demand in the staff room, will need additional serving tables for both food and trays, but at least they're stocked properly now.

I did not try a second staff room yet.

Return to “General”