Tunnel options to stop killing that game

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Frag2000
level0

Tunnel options to stop killing that game

Postby Frag2000 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi guys,

Prison architect is great game, it really is. But the escape tunnel system is SO annoying that I found myself stop playing the game recently since I did not feel like dismantling 300 toilets.

As you all know, the only effective way to detect tunnels is to dismantle all the toilets, or look at all your prisoners, one at a time, to detect sleep deprivation.

I understand that dealing with tunnels could be an issue for the prison management, but it does not mean that we should have to micro manage this as it is currently implemented in the game.

As soon as your prison get bigger than 50 cells, dealing with tunnels become so repetitive that you just give up at some point.

So, it is all about positive criticism … and here is two very simple options that could be implemented really easily to fix this for those who cannot deal with this thing anymore.

Option 1

In the game option menu, add a checkbox item “REVEAL TUNNEL ON SEARCH”, which would simply reveal a tunnel if you search an item hiding it. I noticed that sometimes the guards find tunnels while doing shakedown, this option would simply raise the chance of finding it to 100%. This is a very simple code change. This is also an option, so if some players would like to keep it as it is, then they can.

Option 2

In bureaucracy, under the “Security Chief” section, add a new research box “Tunnel Expert” which would raise the chance of finding a tunnel to 100% when an item is searched.

Introversion, please do something about this. I LOVE that game so much, but I cannot handle dismantling toilets anymore. This is an annoyance that could be fixed so easily with minimum effort from your part.

Thanks guys … again … great game :)

Frag2000
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Tunnel options to stop killing that game

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:50 am

They take a loooong time to dig a tunnel as long as you don't place your buildings right next to the outside of your prison.

Conduct a shakedown every day (it's just one button press) and the cance that a tunnel will get completed before the random chance of uncovering it during a search of the toilet actually finds it is next to zero. If you are worried about the negative morale effects of a shakedown, you can do it at night when everyone is sleeping; that way, they will only be woken up for their body search and then go right back to bed without getting annoyed at all. Plus it has the benefit of making it even harder to finish tunnels since they will not dig when they realize that a shakedown is in progress.
prisonarch125
level1
level1

Postby prisonarch125 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:52 pm

I've just come back after a long break and remember why I stopped playing in the first place. Tunneling really did ruin this game for me. It would be fantastic if it were an option like gangs, events, weather, etc.
Premu
level0

Postby Premu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 am

Actually, it's not too hard to stop tunneling. The best weapon against that is a good amount of informers, the wide use of metal detectors and a large enough distance to the outer wall from your cells.

With enough metal detectors, only the wooden pick axe remains as possible tool for digging. And those you can find easily once you have some snitches who have received 100%. Get your snitches once a day, and they'll tell you in which cells wooden pick axes are hidden. And then simply dismantle the toilet there - you have a very high chance to discover a tunnel. The best thing: No one will get suspicious towards your rats if you do so, as only a direct search would arouse attention. This works like a charm in my large prison with a capacity with over 600 - until now, no one managed to flee.

Of course you could be cheesy and use other methods, too - like providing a nice large sewer pipe as "highway" out which will simply attract any tunnel nearby - and then place a toilet on it and dismantle it afterwards regularly.

Return to “General”