RANT: What do you hate about Prison Architect?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

relix92
level1
level1

RANT: What do you hate about Prison Architect?

Postby relix92 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 pm

Since there is such a large number of complaints or grievances, I thought it would be fun to start a thread to rant about your most disliked issues.
It can be over anything - game play, bugs or trivial matters all count!

I'll start it off with something in the "trivial" line of complaints;

I think its awful how often I see custom user inmates who have "hacked", or engaged in some degree of cyber crime.
The prevalence of this crime turning up in custom prisoners is maddening - I don't want a prison full of boring computer criminals, its not realistic to see that ratio so high and it just feels like a pretentious approach, considering that many of PA's real life players are computer enthusiasts.

It makes me wish this game was a little more on the graphic side, and had allowed for weaker inmates to become prison bitches/sex slaves.
All of these young hackers would have their buttholes labeled as Prime Real Estate by legit criminals who came in for rape and murder charges.

At least then I could sit back and enjoy the realism factor kick back in.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What bothers you in PA?
xander
level5
level5

Re: RANT: What do you hate about Prison Architect?

Postby xander » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:49 pm

relix92 wrote:I think its awful how often I see custom user inmates who have "hacked", or engaged in some degree of cyber crime.
The prevalence of this crime turning up in custom prisoners is maddening - I don't want a prison full of boring computer criminals, its not realistic to see that ratio so high and it just feels like a pretentious approach, considering that many of PA's real life players are computer enthusiasts.

Introversion's first game was Uplink, a game about hacking. Since many of the people who paid to be in the game are long-time Introversion fans, it seems reasonable that hacking crimes would be common, as an homage to IV.

xander
relix92
level1
level1

Postby relix92 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:53 pm

xander wrote:
relix92 wrote:I think its awful how often I see custom user inmates who have "hacked", or engaged in some degree of cyber crime.

Introversion's first game was Uplink, a game about hacking. Since many of the people who paid to be in the game are long-time Introversion fans, it seems reasonable that hacking crimes would be common, as an homage to IV.

xander

As I had already stated, "many of PA's real life players are computer enthusiasts.".
I'm very aware of the Uplink game - many prisoner biographies give it shout-outs.

That aside - is there anything you would like to rant about, xander?
I'm sure you've stubbed your toe on this game at least one time - its hard not to.
yuk
level2
level2

Postby yuk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:16 am

The only thing I hate is there's no more development and I only use the term hate because it was asked of me lol.

Also the cyber crimes thing gets a little annoying too. Can no one think of something creative? I code and dev websites but I would still write something funny like stole all the cats in the neighborhood and was found locked in a cellar with them all dressed up for tea parties or something lol.
Agarwel
level0

Postby Agarwel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 am

For me (playing PS4 version) the biggest problem is that the game just feels unfinished. And I expected it to be more polished considering the 1.0 is out for some time. Or at least to have some patches and updates already. I mean games can have a problems. But look at No Mans Sky - it is releasing one or two updates per week. Same was with Hitman. With such games you see the developers are really trying. The Prison Architect was releaased. It is still buggy and the is no support for this. (crashing, wall building is sometimes cancelled for no good reason, etc. There are some control updates needed. I mean button to navigate menu (O to get back) is used for canceling the construction under your cursor. This can lead to such simple mistakes. And all is needed is to give "cancel construction" some different button)

So for me it is this. The game is still very unpolished and there are no noticable attempts in finishing it :-(
yuk
level2
level2

Postby yuk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 am

Well said Agarwel! I completely agree there's some bugs that need to be sorted and I don't like the halt in development. I am hoping we've all misunderstood and they mean no new features but bug fixes will still happen.
Agarwel
level0

Postby Agarwel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:03 pm

yuk:
well for PC i believe it was clear. They stopped developing new features. But they said several times, that they are not abandonning the game - and patches and fixes will be released.
I was talking about the PS4 version. It was released in June. And except the day 1 updates, there was not a single update since release. All the bugs are still there. To compate No Mans Sky was released in August and there are already eight! updates and noticable improvements regarding crashes and bugs. I hope the PS4 version is not abandonned already and it will be fixed. No matter the other controversies, it is nice example how to handle buggy game release properly.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:14 pm

relix92 wrote:As I had already stated, "many of PA's real life players are computer enthusiasts.".
I'm very aware of the Uplink game - many prisoner biographies give it shout-outs.

I was pointing out that players are not "computer enthusiasts," but IV fans. While the two sets intersect, the complement of "computer enthusiasts" in the set of IV fans is a large and not-insignificant group. Since you didn't mention this in your original post, I was seeking to expand what you wrote and provide additional information and/or clarification.

relix92 wrote:That aside - is there anything you would like to rant about, xander?
I'm sure you've stubbed your toe on this game at least one time - its hard not to.

There is not really anything that I want to rant about. Grad school makes it difficult for me to spend much time on Prison Architect. That said, I really wish that a more efficient algorithm for path-finding existed (or, more pertinently, I wish that IV could find a more efficient algorithm that works for Prison Architect). I also wish that I could find a really good book on non-archimedean analysis that gives a nice, clear description of Omega_p, as well as its properties (in particular, is it locally compact? what is the appropriate measure on this space?).

xander
relix92
level1
level1

Postby relix92 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Personally, I would probably be even more frustrated over a PS4 version then PC.
When they publicly stated it was being ported to consoles, I thought "Wait, already? Don't you guys still have a lot of work to do?".
I understand that consoles can have early access games as well, but typically they aren't in such underdeveloped stages such as PA.

Return to “General”