European version without death penalty please?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

yah-yah
level0

European version without death penalty please?

Postby yah-yah » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:36 pm

I bough Prison Architect literary minutes ago. People recommend it to me and so I thought it would be an excellent thing to play since I love this sort of games. I imagined it to be a cross between socio-engineering and sim-city like game. But... there comes the very first assignment and it requires setting up an execution cell from me. I understand you might be from USA and this might be normal there but it really was a shocker to me, and not a pleasant one to be honest. Could you consider making a European version without death penalty maybe? Please? I'm actually quite upset about it and my first thought was to return the game as it doesn't feel right anymore.
If you consider making a non capital punishment version I'd happily wait for it.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: European version without death penalty please?

Postby VoiD88 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:14 am

The game is made by a british company. They intentionally put in the death row scenario in the first tutorial to make the players feel uncomfortable, it's their goal with this game.

But don't worry, after the first tutorial, you won't ever have to bother with execution again, its construction options won't even be shown unless you order your lawyer to specifically research deathrow facilities.
yah-yah
level0

Postby yah-yah » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:36 am

Aaaaaaah! OK then, thanks so much for clarification.
silverman
level0

Postby silverman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Actually, death penalty is very European, it was important element of European law for centuries. But now, the commies from EU have changed it. But, death penalty is actually very civilized way to deal with Breiviks and Fritzls.
yuk
level2
level2

Postby yuk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:00 am

silverman wrote:Actually, death penalty is very European, it was important element of European law for centuries. But now, the commies from EU have changed it. But, death penalty is actually very civilized way to deal with Breiviks and Fritzls.

I saw that. Signing up to call people commies lol.

Yah-yah it startled me a bit too. I'm Australian. I don't like judging and killing people even just in games, it doesn't feel right...but the idea there is to make you morally question it. You can have a death row and never execute anyone if you want, and if you don't want one at all you can also just not research it. There's no requirement in game past the campaign to build one so you should be right :D. Also deathrow prisoners are so rare I had 3 cells and never filled them, let alone had a prisoner in them for the entire game (going on over 50 game days now) so I wouldn't worry too much.
killerklown90
level0

Postby killerklown90 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:13 pm

silverman wrote:Actually, death penalty is very European, it was important element of European law for centuries. But now, the commies from EU have changed it. But, death penalty is actually very civilized way to deal with Breiviks and Fritzls.

Actually death penalty is not european. It is global. It existed from America to Japan in the past. Grand Duchy of Tuscany, San Marino (both in Italy) and Russia were the first to abolish it respectively in 1786, 1468 and and 1753. Since then, all the european states abolished it (with a short exception during WW2, where they were restored in some countries like Italy and abolished again after the war). Not only, Europe had the most important minds against death penalty like Seneca, Cesare Beccaria, Voltaire, De Sade, Pope John Paul II, Peter Benenson (founder of Amnesty International), Mariateresa Di Lascia and Sergio D'Elia (founders of "Nessuno Tocchi Caino", in english: "Hands Off Cain"), Marco Pannella and Emma Bonino (italian Radical Party), etc..
So, get your facts straight, please. :wink:
yuk
level2
level2

Postby yuk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:59 am

killerklown90 wrote:
silverman wrote:So, get your facts straight, please. :wink:

Maybe you should get your facts straight ha ha. He never said it was European, he said it was an important part of European history :P.

And it has been. Kings and Queens have beheaded so many people it's not funny, and it's still taught in schools as important and it shaped the nation. You can't sit there and say it wasn't important.
tid242
level0

Postby tid242 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:26 am

yah-yah wrote:I bough Prison Architect literary minutes ago. People recommend it to me and so I thought it would be an excellent thing to play since I love this sort of games. I imagined it to be a cross between socio-engineering and sim-city like game. But... there comes the very first assignment and it requires setting up an execution cell from me. I understand you might be from USA and this might be normal there but it really was a shocker to me, and not a pleasant one to be honest. Could you consider making a European version without death penalty maybe? Please? I'm actually quite upset about it and my first thought was to return the game as it doesn't feel right anymore.
If you consider making a non capital punishment version I'd happily wait for it.

Honestly, the execution in the 'intro' could/should be removed, as the death penalty has about zero to do with the actual sandbox mode, which is 99% of playtime..

Especially since the last version was bugged so that there were no death row prisoners..

haha

-tid242

Return to “General”