Visitation Room madness???

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

NBJeff
level1
level1

Visitation Room madness???

Postby NBJeff » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Is it me or is there an absurd amount of contraband moving through the visitation room???

What are some of you doing to combat this?
At one point I was so desperate I had 2 dogs inside the room on patrol and 2 more dogs outside the door patrolling.

Cheers!
SintobusTV
level1
level1

Re: Visitation Room madness???

Postby SintobusTV » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:08 am

I think the #1 issue with contraband int he visitation room is that visitors are exempt from being checked.

Dogs, Metal Detectors, Searches they are exempt from all of these.

Keeping one dog outside will take care of some of it along with metal detector just to be safe.

I keep dogs patrolling all 4 sides of any large cell block area I have. The one out front tends to find the most.

My #1 dog is the one outside the canteen. That is my hot spot for contraband. I would catch more there but the traffics too high and the metal detectors give too many false positives with the amount of traffic that goes through those areas.
Gaolulz
level0

Postby Gaolulz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 am

CCTV and stationed or patrolling guards wasn't enough security for me. I was having problems with snitches getting killed, and severe traffic bottlenecks in open-plan visiting areas; when I bought the land on the other side of the delivery road I built a block of 5 separate visitation rooms, stationed a guard in the hallway of the new block to operate the doors, and put a dog patrol in the area of road between the visitation block and the main prison.
Made a significant difference, in my opinion.

The cheap fencing and staff-only area deployment helps a lot too, but I've found that the more expensive method of metal detector and dog patrol saturation to be the most reliable method.

Is there a specific contraband type you're having trouble with?
poorstudent
level2
level2

Postby poorstudent » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 am

Visitation is a problem. I have them by my entrance (apart from Supermax and PC) so one dog doing deliveries and visitation catches a lot but then you need to use your dogs to the best ability. Mass build up of prisoners is in the yard and canteen (for me) so now we have the deployment micromanagement I simply have more digs in those areas at those times which does it best.

Metal objects are found by having detectors in the cell block entrance, also in the infirmary and workshop, that's it. Anything that gets through the net is found in shakedowns or random searches.

As for PC and Supermax, I have their own visitation in there own designated areas to stop them mixing with others!
BigJacko
level0

Postby BigJacko » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:23 pm

My solution (which seems to work reasonably well in terms of detection) was to forget about trying to search or sniff the visitors - there's nothing you can do about them. Assume that they WILL bring in contraband, and lots of it (they're criminal's family, after all, for the most part, and probably as bent as him!)

Instead, focus on the prisoner side of things. I use a Visitation room with TWO entrances at opposite ends of the room - one door for visitors, with a servo-controlled jail-door, and one for prisoners, which has another servo-controlled jail-door AND a metal detector just inside (i.e. on the Visitation Room side of the doorway).

I also post a guard in the room during visiting hours, AND have a dog-handler inside the room patrolling virtually every square of it (or at least, a good circle around it which focusses mostly on the prisoner/prisoner-doorway side of things in terms of density of walk).

That catches most things that are sniffable or metal - the prisoner simply can't leave the room and is subjected to search by the guard when either the detector or the dog detects a 'hit'.

Obviously, cigarettes, wooden knives, etc won't be detected, but that's life! Only way you're going to catch that is by total micromanagement and searching every prisoner about to leave the Visitation Room manually (probably best to put a holding room on the prison side if you're going to do that, though, and having totally manual doors, so that you have a moment to spot someone transiting the room). Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. A bit of wacky-baccy and cheap plonk doesn't generally destabilise prison life unduly, if it's not a full-on flood, and most importantly, it doesn't devalue the prison as much as a death or an escape caused some dodgy visitor smuggling in a shiv or a trowel. A single one of those kinds of contraband can do a lot of lasting financial damage!

Return to “General”