Escape tunnels

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

AchedTeacher
level0

Escape tunnels

Postby AchedTeacher » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:41 pm

I love escape tunnels and how they undermine (literally) your gameplay in such a non-gamey way. However, when I set my dogs to patrol around the cell blocks and they discover a tunnel, I can't just find the tunnel from that point, I'd have to find the prisoner that's doing it red-handed. This is not the worst part, right, because I guess it's realistic, but when I search the nearest two cell blocks to the place where my dog has been sniffing, and don't find the tunnel which clearly originates from there, it's starting to get on my nerves. I don't want to remove 30+ toilets. Just allow us to do a thorough search of a cell or cell block if we are certain there are escape tunnels, but have it counterbalance by pissing off prisoners even more than usual.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: Escape tunnels

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:41 am

easiest way to catch them is to wait till about 1am and than either do a shakedown or manually do a search of that area..you will catch them pretty easy
erikwithak
level1
level1

Postby erikwithak » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 pm

If you watch the alpha video about the tunnels, you can see the way the AI calculates the route of tunnels. So your dog might be sniffing a tunnel that has run parallel to the walls for many tiles, and may be many cells away.

Have you tried manually having your dog patrols search next the flag to try to find more of the tunnel. Kind of like getting a hit in the old Battleship board game, and trying to find the rest of the ship. Gotta dig around blindly until you find a path, haha
AchedTeacher
level0

Postby AchedTeacher » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:42 am

No, listen. I searched the same cell block like three times and only on the third try did it reveal the tunnel. Shouldn't it just reveal it on the first try?
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Just build and dismantle a few toilets (or just one, it may be enough) where the dog has found the tunnel and if there really is one, it will be visible.
There's no need at all to dismantle the toilets in the cells.

You might call it cheating, but i don't really care, its messed up / very unbalanced since the last update.
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:35 am

AchedTeacher wrote:No, listen. I searched the same cell block like three times and only on the third try did it reveal the tunnel. Shouldn't it just reveal it on the first try?

Prisoners are pretty sneaky - it's hidden behind the toilets, and often unless you move the toilet (by, in the game, dismantling it) you may not find a tunnel.

The prisoners wouldn't be digging if it was that obvious. As stated, best best is to try to get the dog to sniff around the flag, so it ends up planting more flags, and keep going from there.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 am

AchedTeacher wrote:No, listen. I searched the same cell block like three times and only on the third try did it reveal the tunnel. Shouldn't it just reveal it on the first try?

Searching for tunnels has a very high fail rate...unless the prisoner is in the tunnel digging..than it will catch them for sure

this is why i only do my shakedowns at night when everyone is sleeping(or digging) as long as you search the toilet before the prisoner makes it back to their cell

Return to “General”