Max/Normal/Low sec--labels or inherently different?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

MorikTheMad
level1
level1

Max/Normal/Low sec--labels or inherently different?

Postby MorikTheMad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

I have an idea for a prison where I have normal & max sec prisoners only. I'd have a special section and schedule for the really badly misbehaving prisoners; could I just label this low-sec (I won't have any actual low-sec prisoners), or is there anything inherent to low-sec that would get in my way?

I.e., are these just labels (automatically applied when a prisoner of the appropriate type comes in), or is there more to it than just labeling?
xander
level5
level5

Re: Max/Normal/Low sec--labels or inherently different?

Postby xander » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm

When a prisoner is generated, they are given biographical details (name, age, family, &c.), security rating, a rapsheet, and hidden traits. Certain crimes and hidden traits are correlated with the different security ratings. For instance, maximum security prisoners are more likely to have violent personalities and to have committed violent crimes. Higher security prisoners are more likely to have hidden traits that can cause you problems, but this is all probabilities. For instance, I do not believe that there is any guarantee that a minimum security prisoner won't be aggressive nor that a maximum security prisoner will be aggressive.

Short version: the security rating assigned to a prisoner when they arrive at your prison is more than just a label, but the differences are probabilistic, not deterministic.

xander
MorikTheMad
level1
level1

Postby MorikTheMad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Right--I understand how security ratings are assigned, and that it isn't a guarantee.

Basically I want two different sections of my population:
- Those who behave (regardless of whether they were classified max/normal security at intake). Everyone will be in this group by default.
- Those who don't behave. (I will manually place specific prisoners in this group.)

How can I accomplish this? I need all prisoners to be in the 'normal' group by default... is that possible to specify? (I.e., if I open to normal & max sec prisoners, I want all to be assigned to 'normal' security.)
Then I'd manually move the misbehaving prisoners to max security.

I was initially thinking I could let the game assign both normal & max sec by default at intake, and then manually specify low sec for the misbehaving prisoners. But that won't work--I want max & normal to share the same space, but not permit the misbehaving prisoners in there.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 pm

As far as I know, there is currently no way of setting a deployment zone to be shared by only two types of prisoners. Either an area is restricted to one class and one class alone, or shared by all three security ratings. The only way to restrict an area to two types of prisoners is to create areas around those areas which cannot be accessed by the third group.

xander
MorikTheMad
level1
level1

Postby MorikTheMad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Is there a way to change which security level prisoners are automatically assigned to at intake?

I guess I could manually move all new prisoners to 'normal' security...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm

MorikTheMad wrote:Is there a way to change which security level prisoners are automatically assigned to at intake?

I guess I could manually move all new prisoners to 'normal' security...

No? You can choose to open or close the prison on a security level basis in the Prisoners tab of the Reports menu (assuming that you did not select continuous intake when you created your prison), but the security levels that you admit will be as above.

Honestly, the kind of prisoner micromanagement that you are trying to do makes very little sense right now. The probability of a prisoner being troublesome is tied to the security level of the prisoner at the time of that prisoner's creation---the chance that you are going to do better on the basis of observed behaviour seems unlikely.

xander
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Clicking on a prisoner will bring up his Rap Sheet, and on the Biography tab there is a button that should say Min / Med / Max Security. Clicking on this button will allow you to manually select what security the prisoner should be placed in. However, this process can only be done one prisoner at a time.

As xander already mentioned, you can go into the Prisoner Menu and set what security level of prisoner you want to receive every morning.
MorikTheMad
level1
level1

Postby MorikTheMad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I understand that I can set what types of prisoners I receive.

The reason I was asking is that my prison will be secure enough for all prisoner levels in the general case. I am anticipating that my only real problems will be (making up a statistic here), the 80th+ percentile of max sec prisoners; for the 80% below them, my normal procedures & such should be fully sufficient. For the ones that are particularly troublesome, I may want to institute extra measures (eat separately, stay inside an extra layer of perimeter wall (3 instead of 2), shower separately, separate common room, etc).
For everyone else (80% of max sec, all of normal sec, all of low sec), I would have them all be in the same locations & schedule.

Anyway, it sounds like there is no easy/non-tedious way to do this, so I'll likely just leave it alone and have everyone share everything, and maybe futz with schedules a bit if necessary.
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 pm

So the prisoners don't have individual tendencies then? If the player changes their security level they will automatically take on the tendencies of their new security level?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Inge Jones wrote:So the prisoners don't have individual tendencies then? If the player changes their security level they will automatically take on the tendencies of their new security level?

No. As I said above, everything about a prisoner is generated at the time that the prisoner is created. The only thing that the player has control over is the security level to which they are assigned. Rapsheets, biographical details, and hidden traits cannot be altered.

xander
SjoerdxD
level0

Postby SjoerdxD » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 pm

You acualing can go tho deployment. There you can set you min max and normal rooms

You can clck on a prisoner and then chanche seccurity

;if thath isn't the problem, reply
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 pm

SjoerdxD wrote:You acualing can go tho deployment. There you can set you min max and normal rooms

You can clck on a prisoner and then chanche seccurity

;if thath isn't the problem, reply

The OP has been doing this (it seems). The problem is that there is no deployment option for (say) minimum and medium security but no maximum security prisoners, which is what the OP seems to want.

xander
intently
level0

Postby intently » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Just manually change all prisoners to normal at intake, and then re categorize the troublemakers as necessary. This isn't very tedious... you only have to hit 10-20 prisoners each morning.

Return to “General”