Whole System Crashes.

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 pm

fishoil: I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Are you sure it's not a overheating problem, your CPU/GPU fans are clean? Refer to my previous post in this thread about checking the temperature of your GPU. You may also want to check your CPU temperature with HWMonitor.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
fishoil
level1
level1

Postby fishoil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 am

no worries mate I'll give it another check tomorrow
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 am

If there's nothing interesting or unusual in your event log, then I'd suggest removing one of your two graphics cards temporarily and seeing how it plays. If it's better then it suggests there's a problem with your power supply (not enough power getting to your system).

It sounds unlikely, I know, but give it a go - even though it works fine with other more demanding games.

These kinds of problems can often only be diagnosed through a process of elimination.

The only other thing I guess is a virus... but the symptoms are unusual for a virus.
Warlash
level1
level1

Postby Warlash » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 am

You're running an X cpu, can it be assumed you're OCing?

Or at least have specified your own clocks?

Ensure your voltages are correct before doing any more system testing.
Reset to stock speeds and voltages.

Worth mentioning.
I've OC'd one of my ststems, whereby it ran AAA titles without problems on an undervolt.
24hr stress tests etc, no probs - but would experience hard resets in Photoshop (and only this software).
Removing the undervolt was the only solution.

I'm not imagining PA is terribly CPU intensive, so you may find throttling interfering with your voltages too.
Warlash
level1
level1

Postby Warlash » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:42 am

fishoil, after slapping myself a few times (half asleep :roll: ) I've seen more of your posts.

check your voltages as I suggested to OP, and post your specs if you can.

hard resets generally indicate hardware issues, as opposed to software.
not always the case but it's the best place to start in my experience.

for peace of mind, run a scandisk, do a vanilla OS install.

cpus, mobos, memory (if well made) are generally rugged components
they last a long time & when they die, they mostly go bang (or something similarily sudden).

psu's, hds etc are not. they tend to die silently & slowly over time.
reliability, performance etc degrade until they reach tipping point. when this happens it can manifest strangely, and be a b*tch to diagnose.

so to be blunt, it looks like an older PC.
has anything else funny been happening? or have you changed anything like drivers recently?

secondly, given its age & that nothing lasts forever, it might be worth thinking about how much you would be willing to spend to solve this issue if/when it comes to that.
fishoil
level1
level1

Postby fishoil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 am

Hi

thanks for the input

Been extremely busy the last few days so not had time to try these things out yet.

I'll give them a shot at some point soon.

Cheers
TheRealTomTom
level1
level1

Re: Whole System Crashes.

Postby TheRealTomTom » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 pm

When I run Alpha 20, it sends my CPU from 58 degrees to 99, and earlier on it just shut down due to overheating.

That's crazy!

Hope they can sort this out as they develop more, because I am addicted to the game!

(Intel Core i5 2540M Sandy bridge)
(about 2 years old)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm

TheRealTomTom wrote:When I run Alpha 20, it sends my CPU from 58 degrees to 99, and earlier on it just shut down due to overheating.

That's crazy!

Hope they can sort this out as they develop more, because I am addicted to the game!

(Intel Core i5 2540M Sandy bridge)
(about 2 years old)

Discussion of bugs, feature requests, predictions for future versions, and other topics related to the alpha belong in the Prison Architect Developer Forum. I notice that you do not have access to that forum yet, which means that you need to register your Prison Architect key. If you bought Prison Architect directly from Introversion, then instructions should be in the email that you received. If you got the game via Steam, please read these instructions.

Once you have access to the Developer Forum, please read this topic on how to post a suggestion or question. In particular, please try to post only one idea or bug per topic, and please search the forum before you post. It is likely that someone else has already had your idea, and it would be better to respond to an older post than to create a new topic.

Thank you.

xander
MajorContraption
level0

Postby MajorContraption » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am

Lol just saying, simply constantly saving and auto saving may not be the best idea. I'm having to deal with overheating, and I have had the best luck to have my computer shut down during both my auto save, AND my manual save, leaving a prison I had to rebuild from the same point again three times over, absolutely gone. Makes you wonder whether it's all connected or chance is really not on your side.

Return to “General”