How do you execute prisoners in sandbox mode?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Mr_Fantastic
level0

Postby Mr_Fantastic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 am

Wow, people are such pussies these days.

I'm almost positive the guy was joking, so calm down. Sure, the Holocaust was attempted genocide, but it was about 80 years ago now and nobody here was personally affected (even if you're Jewish) or actually knew anybody that was in it; quit being so self righteous. Learn to relax and take jokes, or else you're going to have a heart attack every time someone makes a joke, whether it's funny or not.
Wmayes0412
level0

Postby Wmayes0412 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 am

I second the courthouse. Invent rules and whatnots!

Edit: Also, being able to execute prisoners at will would be cool, too. Maybe other ways of execution other than electric chair?

I know it would be far fetched seeing as this is alpha, but just my opinion.
Morality
level0

Postby Morality » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:00 am

Wmayes0412 wrote:Edit: Also, being able to execute prisoners at will would be cool, too. Maybe other ways of execution other than electric chair?

This actually would be a cool little feature; Illegal prison activities. For example, the option to execute a prisoner by the hand of a guard, and implement a chance (/other mechanic) of a possibility, of the guard refusing and reporting you, or the Authorities shutting you down.

Not anything of importance, and perhaps too little of a feature to actually see the trouble of making, but just a thought.

EDIT: Its funny how I'm saying this and my nickname is Morality. :D
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

Im against executing prisoners "illegally" - since it would be a little over the top and not what the game aims for I assume.
But the chair should definately not be the only variant to execute uh... the law.

What is still used in the western world?

Japan:
- Hanging

USA:
- Gas chamber
- Lethal injection
- Electric chair (last used in January 2013(!)
- Shooting/firing squad
- Hanging

That's about it.
No other western/modern country (I know of) still uses the death penalty, correct me if Im wrong though. I would love to start a debate on this since this statistic states the obvious but... I don't.

So, for me, the chamber and injection should be available.
Since the lethal injection is the primary option in all US States, this is kind of a must have, I would say. I am aware the game does not officially take place in the US but... come o - it is the US xD
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Daimaju wrote:Im against executing prisoners "illegally" - since it would be a little over the top and not what the game aims for I assume.
But the chair should definitely not be the only variant to execute uh... the law.

What is still used in the western world?

Japan:
- Hanging

USA:
- Gas chamber
- Lethal injection
- Electric chair (last used in January 2013(!)
- Shooting/firing squad
- Hanging

That's about it.
No other western/modern country (I know of) still uses the death penalty, correct me if Im wrong though. I would love to start a debate on this since this statistic states the obvious but... I don't.

So, for me, the chamber and injection should be available.
Since the lethal injection is the primary option in all US States, this is kind of a must have, I would say. I am aware the game does not officially take place in the US but... come o - it is the US xD

It's a shame the death penalty was removed in many countries, might learn these "Gangsters" to stop playing with firearms. But then of course, who am I.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

laser50 wrote:It's a shame the death penalty was removed in many countries, might learn these "Gangsters" to stop playing with firearms. But then of course, who am I.

Funny, compared to the US, in Europe, there are literarily no "Gangsters" who play with firearms and guess what? No death sentences here anymore...
Even Russia put its capital punishment "on hold".

The part of the world where death sentences are executed the most, are muslim countries - followed by the US of glory A.

You might rethink your deep and factual based opinion maybe?
But probably what I say is just liberal yibberish.

Eye for an eye, right?
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 pm

They should bring back public hanging for Rapists & pedo's.

I'd go & watch them & throw some dirty fruit.

eye for an eye in those cases seems perfectly reasonable :)
phoenixca
level1
level1

Postby phoenixca » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Mr_Fantastic wrote:Sure, the Holocaust was attempted genocide, but it was about 80 years ago now and nobody here was personally affected (even if you're Jewish) or actually knew anybody that was in it; quit being so self righteous.

Actually, both of my grandparent's on my mother's side were strongly affected by it and the war. That entire side of my family was Jewish, and converted to evade the Nazis. I'm not trying to hound you, but spewing vitriol back at others doesn't get one very far.

In any case, I do hope that we aren't allowed to just start tossing prisoners into death chambers willy-nilly. It'd defeat the challenge of keeping those nasty ones in line, for one. What we really need are more features and tools that let us deal with prisoners that really are being extremely problematic. For that, we must wait. Alpha is alpha and all that.

Ric666 wrote:They should bring back public hanging for Rapists & pedo's.

I'd go & watch them & throw some dirty fruit.

eye for an eye in those cases seems perfectly reasonable :)

Incredibly unreasonable, actually. For one, we already know that taking part in such actions like degrading others or killing them does influence the person taking part in the action. Which is a long-winded way of saying that acting out a behaviour will make you more likely to repeat it. So throwing that dirty fruit isn't such a good idea, for your sake.

For another, these people, while very much a danger to others and should rightly be confined, do not deserve such treatment. They are sick, much like a person with depression or bipolar disorder is sick. Their particular brain prevents them from acting in a way more conducive to coexistence with the rest of us, and need to be controlled. In time, hopefully, such behaviour can be modified. (There has even been some preliminary research into this area showing that the prefrontal cortex can be trained, much like a muscle, to help control violent urges or wants to do harm to others.) Sam Harris has some good arguments in favour of compassion in the criminal justice system instead of retribution; they're worth a read.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

phoenixca wrote:Incredibly unreasonable, actually. For one, we already know that taking part in such actions like degrading others or killing them does influence the person taking part in the action. Which is a long-winded way of saying that acting out a behaviour will make you more likely to repeat it. So throwing that dirty fruit isn't such a good idea, for your sake.

For another, these people, while very much a danger to others and should rightly be confined, do not deserve such treatment. They are sick, much like a person with depression or bipolar disorder is sick. Their particular brain prevents them from acting in a way more conducive to coexistence with the rest of us, and need to be controlled. In time, hopefully, such behaviour can be modified. (There has even been some preliminary research into this area showing that the prefrontal cortex can be trained, much like a muscle, to help control violent urges or wants to do harm to others.) Sam Harris has some good arguments in favour of compassion in the criminal justice system instead of retribution; they're worth a read.

Well that's your opinion & you're very welcome to it :)

These people can't be helped & I don't think they deserve life.
All they're doing in prison is wasting my hard earned taxes that could be used to rehabilitate others that deserve/need it. My opinion.

ps:Hand me the fruit! I'll take the risk ;)
phoenixca
level1
level1

Postby phoenixca » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Ric666 wrote:Well that's your opinion & you're very welcome to it :)

It's not an opinion. It's an observation based on empirical evidence and analysis of data.

All they're doing in prison is wasting my hard earned taxes that could be used to rehabilitate others that deserve/need it. My opinion.

And you're quite wrong. This is a good summation of the argument against evermore severe punishment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deterrence ... ectiveness The paper referenced (Gendreau, P, Goggin, C, Cullen FT, The effects of prison sentences on recidivism, User Report: Office of the Solicitor General, Canada, 1999, p24.) is actually quite a good read. A bit old, but none-the-less relevant to the conversation. Increased severity of punishment does little-to-nothing to prevent an action.

A more recent paper, which you can also find easily on Wikipedia and is also freely available (yay, Internet!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restorativ ... penn.edu-4

That these systems show highest rates of victim and offender satisfaction is quite something, I think. Restorative Justice goes strongly against the notion of killing offenders outright, or increasing abstract punishments will actually work to reduce recidivism and act as a deterrent; and it works.

There are other philosophical and moral arguments supporting my point but I can't find the blasted texts underneath all my other books right now (I really need more bookshelves :? ). If I find them I'll reference them properly. >.<
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Ric666 wrote:
phoenixca wrote:Incredibly unreasonable, actually. For one, we already know that taking part in such actions like degrading others or killing them does influence the person taking part in the action. Which is a long-winded way of saying that acting out a behaviour will make you more likely to repeat it. So throwing that dirty fruit isn't such a good idea, for your sake.

Well that's your opinion & you're very welcome to it :)

These people can't be helped & I don't think they deserve life.

ps:Hand me the fruit! I'll take the risk ;)

Sorry Ric666, but you have no clue what you are talking about.
First, who are you to say they can't be helped? Are you into psychology? Clearly not.
Second, people on death row are much more costly than people with, for example, a life sentence.
The whole legal process is tremendously expensive and ppl on death row often wait for decades(!) until they get executed, some even die of high age...

Someone serving a life sentence without parole is not that expensive as ppl believe and knowing they will never see the daylight again is more painful than death.
Death is no penalty - death is a relief in their case. And that's not what I say, that is what many prisoners said.

You may keep your opinion about if they deserve to live or not - I totally understand that feeling, but emotions, doesnt make it the right.
Tarzool
level0

Postby Tarzool » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 am

build a metal detector near your shower, remove the drains, you'll kill at least someone every 'shower' time :) but getting ride of bodies will be your next question, and I dont know how :)
Relax.
level0

Postby Relax. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Then how about sending the prisoners you do not like to 'another prison'?
you might need to pay a small fee or something for 'transport' or whatever, but it'd be a legal action, no gruesome stuff, no bodies to hide, no one offended, yet you are able get rid of that annoying prisoner.
Seigaku
level1
level1

Postby Seigaku » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 am

gameaddictwn wrote:That sucks, can anyone maybe make a mod for that?

A mod for an alpha? hahahhahahahahahaha
Dustek
level0

Postby Dustek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Mr_Fantastic wrote:Wow, people are such pussies these days.

I'm almost positive the guy was joking, so calm down. Sure, the Holocaust was attempted genocide, but it was about 80 years ago now and nobody here was personally affected (even if you're Jewish) or actually knew anybody that was in it; quit being so self righteous. Learn to relax and take jokes, or else you're going to have a heart attack every time someone makes a joke, whether it's funny or not.

68 years ago.

And my grandfather was in 4 different concentration camps and sentenced to death twice for escape attempts.

What an completely ignorant stupid statement "Actually knew anybody that was in it."

Think.

Return to “General”