problem creating language.dat

Problems with other language translations

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

TheSlider
level0

problem creating language.dat

Postby TheSlider » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:35 am

hi there ^^ i'm actually finalising a french translation but i have à problem since i can't make a .dat correctly i firstly put the "french.txt" (107ko) and "english.txt" (104ko) in the language folder,
i made some changes in the bitmaps to show some chars (57ko each)
and put them in textures folder

i finaly put those 2 folders in data folder and ziped that (66.4ko) with alzip, named it language.dat and tried tu run the game but it shows a error "failed to load texture textures/editor_font_normal.bmp"

the game runs good without that, i'm using the 1.3 patch ... wheres the mistake ? everything went good before the patch with my old translation ...

sould i delet the english.txt ?
i tried without changing the bmp's ... hum ...

how do you guys do that ? what tools do you use and how do you proceed ?

^^'
Press starT
xander
level5
level5

Re: problem creating language.dat

Postby xander » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:50 am

TheSlider wrote:hi there ^^ i'm actually finalising a french translation but i have à problem since i can't make a .dat correctly i firstly put the "french.txt" (107ko) and "english.txt" (104ko) in the language folder,
i made some changes in the bitmaps to show some chars (57ko each)
and put them in textures folder

i finaly put those 2 folders in data folder and ziped that (66.4ko) with alzip, named it language.dat and tried tu run the game but it shows a error "failed to load texture textures/editor_font_normal.bmp"

the game runs good without that, i'm using the 1.3 patch ... wheres the mistake ? everything went good before the patch with my old translation ...

sould i delet the english.txt ?
i tried without changing the bmp's ... hum ...

how do you guys do that ? what tools do you use and how do you proceed ?

^^'

You do not need to make anything called ".dat". Compress the files if you wish, and offer people a link to download. To install the translation, people will need a data/ direcotory in their Darwinia root directory (for Win and Linux, at least -- it is a little more complicated for Mac: right-click (or ctrl-click, for the button challenged) on Darwinia.app; select "Show Package Contents"; put "data/" there). In the data directory, there should be two more directories: language (which should contain french.txt) and textures (which should contain any font bitmaps that you have created). Something like this:

Code: Select all

data/
|- language/
|   |- french.txt
|-textures/
   |- editor_font_french.bmp
   |- speccy_font_french.bmp

Distribute your translation as a .rar or .zip archive, making sure to preserve the directory structure outlined above, and you will be fine.

xander
TheSlider
level0

Postby TheSlider » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm

i understand for the data/ direcotory but isn't there any way to replace the original "language.dat" with the one for the translation ?
in previous versions of Darwinia, that was possible and it worked fine ...

so you are saying that people only have to unzip my translation (making sure to have a good directory structure) and the game will load the files inside ?

hum ok i'll try that ... ^^'

thank you ;)

--yay ^^ it works ^^ hehe thanks a lot :)
Press starT
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:35 pm

TheSlider wrote:i understand for the data/ direcotory but isn't there any way to replace the original "language.dat" with the one for the translation ?
in previous versions of Darwinia, that was possible and it worked fine ...

language.dat is simply a .rar archive. Darwinia doesn't actually care if it is archived or not. When you unarchive it, it expands into the directory data/. Thus, anything that you put into data/ should replace anything in the archive.

TheSlider wrote:so you are saying that people only have to unzip my translation (making sure to have a good directory structure) and the game will load the files inside ?

Yes. It will still load the English files, as well. In order to play the translation, a player would have to choose French as their language. This can be done from within the game:
1) On the world map, hit [ESC] to bring up the main menu.
2) Click on "Options" (should be the third one down).
3) Click on "Other Options" (second to the bottom -- right above "Close")
4) In the "Language" drop-down, select "french."
This can also be done by editing preferences.txt: change the line that reads "TextLanguage = english" to "TextLanguage = french." Note, however, that if you do it this way, the name of the language will be based upon your file names. Thus, if you created a file called French.txt (capitalized), it is not the same thing as french.txt (not capitalized).

Finally, if IV really like your translation, I would be willing to be that they would consider rolling it into language.dat for the next patch. You might want to email or PM Chris about that. (I hope I am not overstepping by making that suggestion...)

xander
TheSlider
level0

Postby TheSlider » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:18 pm

Ok i understand ^^

I started this translation long time ago with friends from a french forum but we never realy finished it ... so now i'm back on this with the 1.3 patch and i don't know when i'll finish it .. hum ... too much text for me ^^' lol

And if i survive translating this, it will be cool to have it inside the next patch :) anyway, i'll do my best ^^ ' heh

oh ^^ in my previous translation the game crashes if i create more programs than i can but everything seems normal now ... ^^' it says "syntax error"
Press starT

Return to “Translation Issues”