mod crashing + no mod file

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

caleb8
level1
level1

mod crashing + no mod file

Postby caleb8 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:21 pm

I have just completed darwinia and have tried to make a mod of my own with the editor but when i tried to go to the game.txt for the mod it wasn't even there nor the mod file in particular .
Can someone out there help me find the damn thing! :(
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:02 am

...depends which OS you're using -- they all store stuff in different places. Linux is under the .darwinia dir, windows is under the darwinia program dir, and Mac I've no clue.

But you can just search your hardrive for the "mods" and "users" directories. The stuff is in them.

Are you sure you first created a new mod name? and a new profile name? If not, then nothing gets saved anywhere no matter what you do in the editor.
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 am

The mod is saved in the game and everything is there but to no avail is the mod file that i need.
I still cant find it in a hard drive search nor the darwinia program dir.
thanks anyways...
caleb8
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:24 am

would creating a file NAMED mod in the darwinia file be acceptable with the txt files named inside work with the game or do i have to use the one the game creates itself?
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:20 am

can anyone help me with this? or is there no one in this forum anymore.... :(
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 pm

sorry, this forum IS a bit dead now. should pick up a little after the release of multiwinia later this year.

but to help you, this is the best source of modding guides:

http://www.thenextgame.co.uk/guide.php

I'm not clear on exactly what your problem is. The above guides might spell it out for you. But to make a mod you must have a "mods" directory in place. If you've been able to play other mods, then that shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing I can think of is you must explicitly save your work every time you exit the editor. Click the save button before you hit ESC or your work will be lost. The mod WILL play until you exit darwinia -- it resides in memory only unless you save it from within the editor.

FYI it is helpful to get in th ehabit of hitting the save button often -- the editor crashes sometime, and saving periodically will save your work from getting lost. Always save before linking buildings for the first time. Also when you start dealing with a new set of buildings you are not familiar with.

You can verify your profile and mod name settings in the preferences.txt file.
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:36 pm

i do save often but it still creates no mod file ,no game.txt file not even a preferences.txt file
all of those thing seem to be missing and the mods are saved in darwinia as they are still there

in other words the mod level is there but there is no mods directory anywhere.

caleb8
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:23 am

post your preferences.txt file (using "code" tags please)

AND, please outline the directory structure under which you find the level files you mention. mark where these files are getting saved. an indented outline would be clearest. you can place it between "code" tags so the indenting is preserved (otherwise indents get stripped). include all parent directories up to the drive letter (assuming you're under windows).
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:39 am

post your preferences.txt file

there is no such file ANYWHERE

please outline the directory structure under which you find the level files you mention.

there is no directory structure there are only these files
language.dat
main.dat
sounds.dat
unins.dat

that is it no directory files just those

-caleb8
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:47 am

This is what I meant. This is the directory tree on my WinXP partition showing what's what for Darwinia.

Code: Select all

C:
   \Program Files
      \Darwinia
         \mods
         \users
         blackbox.txt
         changes.txt
         darwinia.exe
         language.dat
         main.dat
         outfile.txt
         patch.dat
         preferences.txt
         sounds.dat

If you don't have a "mods" subdir, then you cannot have played any of the other mods, have you?

If you don't have a "users" subdir, then you haven't been using profiles, even for your original game?

If you don't have a "preferences.txt" then I don't know where your user settings are getting saved. Can you change your screen rez and have it stay there if you restart darwinia? If so, then preferences.txt is somewhere.

Maybe you are under Vista? Maybe things get saved somewhere else under Vista? I know zero about Vista. Search the forums for "vista mod*", including the Windows Problems forum.

When you install mods, you usually have to create the "mods" directory by hand. But the "users" directory is created by darwinia when you create profiles.

Did you try searching your entire system for "preferences.txt"? It has to be there somewhere.

EDIT: read this thread: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=3941
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 am

Maybe you are under Vista?

i havent thought that the files would be installed in vista be any different from xp but yes i have vista

Search the forums for "vista mod*",

ive done that but to no avail

Did you try searching your entire system for "preferences.txt"? It has to be there somewhere.

"windows cannot find the file you are looking for"

unfortunately this did not work for me as the saved games are in an unknown realm not showing up on my computer whatsoever :(
-caleb8
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 pm

caleb8 wrote:

"windows cannot find the file you are looking for"

the only thing I can think of is that vista search doesn't like the ".txt" since windows tends to hide that stuff from users. try the search with just "preferences" and make sure you are searching the entire drive, not just from your desktop down. or try serching for "darwinia" directories, but be sure to make it case-insensitive (don't know if vista cares about filename case or not -- winxp doesn't, but other OSes do). search for a file you know is there just to make sure you are using the search properly. like, create a dummy preferences.txt somewhere...

good luck!
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:35 pm

i have finnaly found the preferences txt file HURRAH, however i still have not found the game.txt file (baby steps i guess) if you still want to look at it here it is

Code: Select all

ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1

TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 0

SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 44100
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 64
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 1
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1

ScreenWidth = 1680
ScreenHeight = 1050
ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 24
ScreenColourDepth = 32
ScreenRefresh = 60

RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 0

ControlMouseButtons = 3
ControlMethod = 1
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = mod
RenderSpecialLighting = 0
Difficulty = 1
ModSystemEnabled = 1
Mod = ANewDay

EDIT: i have found the mod files they were placed in a hidden folder that could only be found by searching the EXACT letters
for any vista users having trouble finding theirs you shoud start looking here C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\

ain't vista awesome :D
-caleb8

Return to “Mod Projects”