Music!

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

blackhole12
level1
level1

Music!

Postby blackhole12 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Yes, i know how to mod in music files :)

My question is rather of taste... i'm a composer (and a programmer, don't ask :P) and i must say making music to fit darwinia is somewhat... difficult, as a result of darwinia's unique genre. I've dug up some of my older songs and come up with 2 possibilities:

The Fading Sea
Unwanted Presence

What do you think? I'm hoping to use one of them for the intro/storyline moments and another for more miscellanous things. Maybe fading see for intro/storyline and unwanted presence for more "zOMG!" moments? And yes i will be recompressing these into OGG format :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Very nice. Check your PMs.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:31 am

Trying to harvest composers away for secret projects already, eh, xander?

Music is basically one of the main areas where no one's (ie modders) got very far with as yet, mainly because, as you say, composing for Darwinia is actually quite hard - even for those of us who're actaully a bit ok at composing and have the right tools to hand. That said, these could comfortably fit in if only because they're not particularly 'strong' tracks, they're quite melodic and backgroundy so make good atmospheric music.

You might like to try using a sequencer of some sort (I'm assuming from the style of music you're producing that you're currently not) - this is one of the main reasons Darwinia's music is of the style it is (or Visitors from Dreams especially) - I think the Tresk originating ones may be then passed through some other software to give them their additional effects, but I could be wrong.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
blackhole12
level1
level1

Postby blackhole12 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am

Indeed, most of darwinias (if not all) music is OGG-fied tracker songs. I actually have a gigantic library of tracker songs myself, but have yet to go looking through it for possible candidates. One problem is that i can't seem to record my speaker output anymore - a major problem in converting tracker files to some other wav-related fileformat. I'll probably have to find a tracker -> wav (or mp3) converter.

I'm currently using FL studio 6. I've tried trackers before but gawd, they are hard o_O;;

It may be possible to compose tracker-ish music on FL studio 6 if your very, very careful... i may look into it. I'd love to see more custom music in mods :D (my own mod is going to have a considerable amount, most if it won't be composed by me though :P)

Later i'm going to look into using the script commands to create "background" music for levels...

On a side note, modding darwinia seems to be darned easy as pie, is it supposed to be harder? :P I mean in the space of about 2 days i have modded the intro scene, put in my own intro sequence, made a whole bunch of really awesome looking high-rez textures, learned a whole bunch about scripting, and am nearing completion of my first level (which has a maze in it :D).

I'm used to freelancer, where it crashes on you if you so much as make a pixel the wrong color :x Its very refreshing to have a more flexible game to mess around with :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 am

It's pretty easy - some of the more complicated effects need thinking about but yeah, I'd say it's pretty easy. But then a lot of people have had lots of problems...

You might even be able to try my HORRIBLE SLIMEY DISGUSTING scripter program out in the process of modding, I've no idea if that'll be helpful to you - even I'm finding it helpful for the more menial things.

You might be better off making small sections of music in a tracker with all the effects and such, and then snipping them out into FL. Oh, and also, if you happen to have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, you could mute your line in (to stop infinate feedback, obviously) and record off it, and just wire your line in to line out and get away with it like that. It's not perfect, but hey, better than nothing. You really ought to be able to record directly though, not sure what's happened there.

Edit - out of curiosity, where are you learning from (if anywhere)
Last edited by The GoldFish on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackhole12
level1
level1

Postby blackhole12 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 am

I tried your program. You don't want to know my reaction. It involves me opening up Visual Studio 2005....

:P

Anyway, the reason i can't record is because my GOD**** ****ing *************** **** ***** *** ********** sound card is a piece of ****ing ***** **** ****. It doesn't support recording, and also, incidentally, the drivers that came in the "backup" folder of my machine are incompatible with the operating system that came with my machine. :?

I am so getting a new sound card. :evil:
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:15 am

I think you'll find I do want to know your reaction, and that if you have a reaction maybe you should post about it in the thread? C'mon, be critical with me here! It has had the sum total of about 2 days put into it.

Plus I wouldn't recommend opening it up anything other than VS 6.0, since it's liable to explode.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
blackhole12
level1
level1

Postby blackhole12 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 am

No, you misunderstand, i mean i took one look at the program and was determined to code something decent in C# :P

*goes to post in that thread*

Return to “Mod Projects”