Paperwinia 0.9.0

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

WuClan
level0

Postby WuClan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:03 pm

Well, it's a great mod, and it's cute,

EDIT: Never mind. A quick restart and it's all fixed.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:59 am

xander wrote:For some reason, Darwinia does not seem to load shapes properly from mods if you don't restart it.
It was half fixed...

Building shapes aren't refreshed, niether are the 2nd and 3rd frames for ant movement animations.

Shapes are also not unrefreshed when you unload a mod, IIRC...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:21 am

I was wondering when this would see the light of day. ;D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:27 am

trickfred wrote:I was wondering when this would see the light of day. ;D

Heh. And now you know why I don't announce anything until it is more or less done :) Still, it is not done. If it is done before this time next year, I would be a suprised. :P

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:34 am

xander, you are evil... excellently evil.
Another good mod, and could soon be great.

Lol... I load the mod, and get the Matrix bootloader... so I see a bunch of little paper airplanes acting like the matrix!
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 am

The GoldFish wrote:
xander wrote:For some reason, Darwinia does not seem to load shapes properly from mods if you don't restart it.
It was half fixed...

Building shapes aren't refreshed, niether are the 2nd and 3rd frames for ant movement animations.

Shapes are also not unrefreshed when you unload a mod, IIRC...

Well hello there Golden Fishy type person. LTNS.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Shwart!! wrote:...little paper airplanes ...

Bah. I know the sprite was going to be a bit too esoteric. Those are crane bases. When you fold a paper crane, you start with a crane base. Crane bases can also be used to fold many other figures, and are thus sort of an atomic unit of oragami. They are not paper airplanes :)

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm sorry... I don't know much about origami... but it's a fun map. Looks like the later sections will be killer, too...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:48 pm

hitm4n wrote:Well hello there Golden Fishy type person. LTNS.

Yes, yes... I'm not 'back' or anything, I'm just as much not here as I was before.

Also this mod really needs some sort of pluckey main character to break the 4th wall and undermine everything the story tries to achieve...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 pm

The GoldFish wrote:
hitm4n wrote:Well hello there Golden Fishy type person. LTNS.

Yes, yes... I'm not 'back' or anything, I'm just as much not here as I was before.

Also this mod really needs some sort of pluckey main character to break the 4th wall and undermine everything the story tries to achieve...

You are correct. I just haven't done anything with strings_default.txt yet. The level is done, basically, but I have no story of any sort yet.

xander
shadow_archmagi
level1
level1

Postby shadow_archmagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Hmm. Its been months since anyone posted here, but hey, I have my own stuff to say to add to this.

1. You have "Transports" but no trunk ports, so the transports can't be spawned. Horribly disapointed I didn't get to see a staple-gun (I assume thats what it would be) gunning down a bookworm.

2. Paper shredders are the fancified spam-cubes right? Because I destroyed both and it still said incomplete.

3. I had a hard time wiping out enough scissors. First I had my airstrike miss without me knowing, because I already moved on, so one desk was left with 200 scissors around it. Once I cleaned that up there were still 20-40 just moping around on the cliffsides. Not moving, not attacking, just sitting there where only darwinians could hunt them down. I also noticed 8 floating waaay off the side of the map.

4. Since one island contained all the mission objectives, the rest didn't really matter. After I spent 5 minutes killing a soul destroyer and then realized there was no reason why I should WANT the command post it was gaurding... it kinda killed it for me.
shadow_archmagi
level1
level1

Postby shadow_archmagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:48 pm

Sorry about the double post. I just remembered...

5. You have tons of buildings that are totally irrelavant. They either just get in the way or suck up darwinians. It'd be nice if they did something.

Sorry if I sound... critical. I really don't mean to, I just want to... hmm. I don't think theres any way I can end that sentence without sounding like a jerk. Oh well.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:59 pm

shadow_archmagi wrote:Hmm. Its been months since anyone posted here, but hey, I have my own stuff to say to add to this.

Indeed. I have been busy with the Darwinia 1.5 patch, and the Mac version of Defcon. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this.

shadow_archmagi wrote:1. You have "Transports" but no trunk ports, so the transports can't be spawned. Horribly disapointed I didn't get to see a staple-gun (I assume thats what it would be) gunning down a bookworm.

Well, as I haven't finished putting together all of the strings and such, I can see how you missed this. There is a Yard in the level, as well as mines and power to feed it. With the Yard, you can produce Crane Transports and Crane Cannons.

shadow_archmagi wrote:2. Paper shredders are the fancified spam-cubes right? Because I destroyed both and it still said incomplete.

Not sure why that would have happened. I will investigate.

shadow_archmagi wrote:3. I had a hard time wiping out enough scissors. First I had my airstrike miss without me knowing, because I already moved on, so one desk was left with 200 scissors around it. Once I cleaned that up there were still 20-40 just moping around on the cliffsides. Not moving, not attacking, just sitting there where only darwinians could hunt them down. I also noticed 8 floating waaay off the side of the map.

You know, it sounds to me very much like the very first thing that you did was to capture one of the control towers on the last island and start spawning Matchstick Men. You might have found it easier if you had, you know, actually played the level and gotten access to Crane Cannons. I have no problem with people using such exploits to get through the level -- taking out that number of Scissors with only Matchstick Men is impressive, but I won't pay any mind to someone that attempts to finish the level in that manner, then complains that it is too hard or can't be done. There should be nowhere that Scissors can go that Crane Bases cannot. And Crane Bases are very effective at killing Scissors.

shadow_archmagi wrote:4. Since one island contained all the mission objectives, the rest didn't really matter. After I spent 5 minutes killing a soul destroyer and then realized there was no reason why I should WANT the command post it was gaurding... it kinda killed it for me.

If you think they don't matter, more power to you. However, this comment completely invalidates your first point. You can't create Crane Transports if you don't complete the first couple of islands.

shadow_archmagi wrote:Sorry about the double post. I just remembered...

Then use the edit button.

shadow_archmagi wrote:5. You have tons of buildings that are totally irrelavant. They either just get in the way or suck up darwinians. It'd be nice if they did something.

You need to be more specific.

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 am

About the impossible spam cube objective, I had the same problem.
To paraphrase, "Confirmed."

Shwart!!
shadow_archmagi
level1
level1

Postby shadow_archmagi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Sorry. I'm used to gameFAQs, with their stinky lack of an Edit button. Right... so basically all my complaints were caused by the fact that I had no way of knowing that the power/mines did anything. I did more or less go straight to the last island, but that was just me thinking "Okay.. whats on this island? Hmm.. tons of stuff that kills me. Soul destroyers too. Nasty. Whats good about the island... a couple funky power thingies. Wonder if they do anything. Eeh, probably not. The quest log didn't say anything about that. Probably just decoration. Lets move on to the next place."

Sorry to have wasted your time, O' mighty one.

Return to “Mod Projects”