Control Towers need to be fixed! (And an open letter to IV)

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

trickfred
level5
level5

Control Towers need to be fixed! (And an open letter to IV)

Postby trickfred » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:23 pm

This should probably be in the Feature Requests thread, but I thought it was important enough to warrant its own thread.

Whenever a Control Tower is reprogrammed to Team 2 by an Engineer, the player receives 22 Research Points. If a Team 1 Engineer reverts the Tower to Team 1, and the player reclaims it, they get another 22 Research Points. This process can be repeated endlessly, and result in virtually infinite Research Points for the player.

In the original game levels, there's never an instance of a Team 1 Engineer, so there's never a case of a Control Tower being reprogrammed twice. But, a modder cannot use Team 1 Engineers to add a different strategy to a level, without being faced with the possibility that the player will receive many more Research Points than they had intended, thus potentially throwing the mod off balance, and making later levels much easier than intended. This is, in my eyes, an exploit that needs to be closed, so we can be free to use Team 1 Engineers in our mods.

I propose that the entry for Control Towers in map and mission files have another variable attached to them:

Code: Select all

# Type              id      x       z       tm      rx      rz      isGlobal
   # ==========================================================================
   ControlTower        3       556.76  909.10  1       1.00    0.00    1            2         [0/1]

The last variable being set by default to 0 if the Control Tower has never been reprogrammed, and flipping to 1 once it is reprogrammed for the first time. Once this variable is set to 1, it remains there, and the game no longer rewards Research Points for any Tower reprogrammed that has this variable set to 1.

The original maps could be altered by hand in less than 5 minutes to add a simple '0' to the end of their entries to facilitate this (and added to the next game update patch - we know one has to be coming soon, to fix the DG/GunTurret bug) - or, to maintain compatibility with the original game level files without modifying them to include this variable, the .exe could be set to add the '0' to the Control Tower's entry in the map/mission file by default if neither '0' or '1' is present on loading the level.

There are many instances of things that work just fine in the original game levels, but are 'broken' when it comes to making mods - this is just one of them. Many others are listed here. Fixing this, or one/some of the other broken things would be a big step in showing the loyal IV fans that IV does indeed wish the Darwinia Mod community to grow. There's really been only one great mod (Insurrection) and less than a dozen good mods made so far, and the game's been out over a year now. Modding is what's supposed to keep the game alive, but we need a greater variety of options available to us, and broken things fixed, if we're going to make mods that don't look the same as levels in the game (Oh look, another mine level, another Generator level...) or the same as everyone else's mods.

And please - don't think of this as me complaining - just think of it as me wanting the game to be even better than it already is. The only real barrier we have in regards to creating great mods is the tools we need to make them.

Edit: It seems that the player gets 22 Research Points ANYTIME a Control Tower is reprogrammed, even when Team 1 Engineers reprogram it back to Team 1. This really needs to be addressed.
Last edited by trickfred on Mon May 01, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Meh, I always liked the idea of research points being given in scripts only. This way, you could hand them out at objective completion, or when a control tower becomes online(scripts only trigger once I believe) or even at a script trigger. This would add so much more flexibility to mods for just a little extra work.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:17 pm

daset wrote:Meh, I always liked the idea of research points being given in scripts only. This way, you could hand them out at objective completion, or when a control tower becomes online(scripts only trigger once I believe) or even at a script trigger. This would add so much more flexibility to mods for just a little extra work.

Maybe, but that would be a seperate thing from what I've pointed out above. My suggestion wasn't for new functionality, just to fix something that works in the full game but is 'broken' when it comes to making mods.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Well said trickfred! I must agree upon your request about Control towers, since I get into so many engineer fights that I get curious as to how my research is upped so quickly.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:37 pm

trickfred wrote:
daset wrote:Meh, I always liked the idea of research points being given in scripts only. This way, you could hand them out at objective completion, or when a control tower becomes online(scripts only trigger once I believe) or even at a script trigger. This would add so much more flexibility to mods for just a little extra work.

Maybe, but that would be a separate thing from what I've pointed out above. My suggestion wasn't for new functionality, just to fix something that works in the full game but is 'broken' when it comes to making mods.

Yeah, I know, I was trying to hijack the thread.

Return to “Mod Projects”