.ASE to .shp converter for 3DSMax ver. 6...and maybe more...

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

>ZEphYR<
level0

.ASE to .shp converter for 3DSMax ver. 6...and maybe more...

Postby >ZEphYR< » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:06 am

Ok so here's what mine does:

-Modified to work with .ASE files generated by 3DSMax6. I don't know if it will work with other 3dSmax versions or not. (It seems like it may work with them just fine.)
((POST a reply if you've found it works with other versions so people will know please.))

-The original also was outputting all of the normals. This seemed to be crashing the game so I took it out.

-Also updated to default model color to red if no other vertex colors are found.

-Updated to check if the file you're trying to convert exists. (That way you dont get a blank .shp file, like the original had potential to make.)

-Updated to put files in the same format as the original game .shp files. (The X,Y,Z coordinates are in the right spots.)

-Updated to round all the numbers to nice lengths. This was seeming to put the models in the wrong position. (Numbers round to same length as in the games original .shp files.)

Here's the script for anyone to use if they wish.
http://72.41.130.253/Darwinia/asetoshp.pl

-------------------------
This is a modified script that was originally by Nihil. (Original link below)
http://www.nihilesthetics.info/Darwinia ... elling.htm
...the site also has some good instructions, if needed.
-------------------------

Hope it helps some people. (:

:[ZEphYR]:
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 05, 2006 1:45 am

I've finally had a chance to use this. Works well. Also seems to render the file a lot faster than the original, if I'm not mistaken. :D

Edit: Okay, maybe not faster, but knowing a message is coming to tell you when it's done makes it seem faster!
Luftbauch
level1
level1

Postby Luftbauch » Wed May 31, 2006 11:53 pm

works nice, but please can me someone tell how to convert animated models to shapes.

In the animated mine.shp file stands something like

Code: Select all

137: 136   0
   Strips: 1
      Strip: 0
         Material: GunMetal
         Verts: 490
         v50      v51      v52      v51      v13      v51   

How to understand that v - thing ?
How to export animations correct or how to manage it manually?
Thanks
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Luftbauch wrote:works nice, but please can me someone tell how to convert animated models to shapes.

Thanks

Actually, the mines (and other animated buildings) are conglomerations of several shapes. Each of the shapes, themselves, are static, and are rotated or animated by the game engine. Strips are an alternative to triangles. I am not quite sure how they are related, however.

xander
Luftbauch
level1
level1

Postby Luftbauch » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:23 am

Hmm but how to get animated shapes ingame?
If i make a windmill and want to let the turbine rotate, how to get it to work with scripting?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:33 am

Luftbauch wrote:Hmm but how to get animated shapes ingame?
If i make a windmill and want to let the turbine rotate, how to get it to work with scripting?

As far as I know, you can't make arbitrary animated shapes. You could probably replace the mine shapes, or the refinery shapes in such a way that you would have a windmill, but, as far as I know, you cannot add buildings to the game that are animated. It can't be done. It isn't a matter of scripting, or anything else. It is a limitation in the game engine itself.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:46 am

The "V" thing you refer to are the Verts that are used to make the Stripe for the building. The stripes are what make it solid...I guess they are linked as a whole section. (Material: GunMetal) will not make it a solid, you have to pick out which Verts you want to use in making the Stripe.

I'm trying to learn that part myself. I have some static buildings in-game, still digging for the placement of animated ones.

Lowell
Luftbauch
level1
level1

Postby Luftbauch » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:55 am

Lowell wrote:I'm trying to learn that part myself. I have some static buildings in-game, still digging for the placement of animated ones.

Same here :) ,
but its funny.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:24 am

Hey that looks cool...I like the clown hats. Have you thought up a name for your mod?
Luftbauch
level1
level1

Postby Luftbauch » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 am

Lowell wrote:Hey that looks cool...I like the clown hats. Have you thought up a name for your mod?

Clown-hats, do you mean the modified SP´s, i thinked they are looking like low poly scorpions? :)
No name , only some own low poly models and a map so far (SP,SP-L,IC,).
So many things in the Game are hardcoded, its not possible (or very hard) to make a "full mod" with this limited functions(and my limited brain)...
Low Poly is no problem, but only static is poor.
The solid-function works not proper (dunno how it works), no walkable buildings (Ramps,...).
No animations.
If i finish all models then i wanna make something funny with them (hope so).
The colorizing-thing for the models is work-intensive.
If i have some more then i open a Mod-thread perhaps.

Greetings Bauch

Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:47 am

At first glance I noticed the "tail" and didn't see the legs...the striped tail looked like a striped clown hat. "I need new glasses... :lol: "

Is your mod ready yet?

EDIT//One of my models has over 7000 triangles. Talk about a headache trying to change colors on certain areas...man...

I have been trying to find out which verts are at the base of a couple models. That way I could do the striping at the base making them "solid." How did you get it to work for yours? I applied the Gun Metal texture to mine and it had no effect. I also noticed that many of the building objects in-game, are not "solid."
Nuclear_Winter
level0

Postby Nuclear_Winter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:08 am

So how exactly are you supposed to use this converter. Do I need to create a new maxscript for it or is there some special process to use?
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:40 am

Its a perl script that converts an ascii scene export file ( 3ds ascii format ) to a shp file ( Darwinia shape file format ). So you are going to need perl installed and also you must have exported a model to an ASE file from 3DSMax.

If you have the ASE but dont have perl, you could try out the alpha of my java applet converter. Take note that its alpha

http://www.nihilesthetics.info/Darwinia ... verter.htm
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 pm

xander wrote:
Luftbauch wrote:works nice, but please can me someone tell how to convert animated models to shapes.

Thanks

Actually, the mines (and other animated buildings) are conglomerations of several shapes. Each of the shapes, themselves, are static, and are rotated or animated by the game engine. Strips are an alternative to triangles. I am not quite sure how they are related, however.

xander

I figured out the triangle strips. The short answer is: don't bother for anything more complex than a simple cube or three.

EDIT: I moved my reply to a new thread http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=3879

Return to “Mod Projects”