Epic Battles Mod

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Siber
level1
level1

Epic Battles Mod

Postby Siber » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:53 am

I guess its fair to say that this is another Biosphere knock off, but hey, we all liked biosphere. Here is the jist of it: You start out highly outnumbered, your objective is to destroy the red army, and re-capture all their spawn points. Easy enough, or is it?

Things that i plan to improve:

1. The map, i made this basic map and put everything on top, by the time i got it working i didnt want to re-make it all so i just left it. The terrain is really quite, "blah".
2. With better terrain comes more strategy, i wouldnt mind seeing this same idea on an even larger scale, with more strategy involved.
3. Anything else that people suggest or want to add, i think it'd be fun to see what weird things can happen.

Here is a screenshot:

Here is the download link:

Download

Please comment i'm open to all suggestions, and take a look at the README file for ways to make gameplay a little more challenging.

Thanks guys.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:54 am

Added to modlist and modlist site
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Sorry, but I found this virtually impossible!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:30 pm

I'll download this when I get home. However if you'd like some levels for this already made to steal straight off or some ideas try the war mod. i made it ages ago to be the hardest on DG combat that is still doable. All off the levels are possible on it but only just and with a lot of testing (there'll be the next version of this out soon with some level changes and maybe some squaddies combat [thehardest in squaddie combat])
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Siber
level1
level1

Postby Siber » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Awesome i will have to check it out...

It's not impossible i can do it and dont consider myself good at Darwinia. However there are a lot of things that happen all at once, and it takes a few tries to figure out where your going right off the bat.

Let me give some advice, forget about the camp where there are about 40 darwinians, they are pretty much dead by now, and move to the larger one; that small one keeps them busy long enough for you to build a turret, or squads. Get defenses setup then attack after that. It should be a little easier once you have a strong enough army.

Re-Download the mod and overwrite the current one, i added another AI target so they limbo for a little in the middle area, this will give you more time to setup defenses, and their first attack wont be as devastating.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:17 pm

well this is the first time I'm downloading the mod (GCSEs coming up so I'm short on time) - about to play it. Then I'm going to build some more of the war mod.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Zemocasu
level1
level1

Postby Zemocasu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 am

Its not that hard, you just have to cannons out quickly
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:00 pm

I like this, any more coming out? It is however a bit easy with cannons enabled.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:45 pm

A couple of things regarding level design:

1) You should probably try playing the level at some of the lower resolution settings. Many of the SpawnPoints are very close to the edges, and even out in the water on lower settings, which makes it impossible for DGs to man them. Instead, large groups will run around them, trying to get to their spots, ultimately drowning. You should either (a) advise people not to use lower resolutions or (b) move the SpawnPoints away from the edges. For the style of map that you have created, I would go with (b), but I am guilty of relying upon higher resolutions for Insurrection, so I really can't claim the moral high ground here :)

2) The camera starts over a group of SpawnPoints/DGs that have no chance of survival. I can see how you might want to use that as a distraction -- i.e. to get players to focus on that area, which is ultimately doomed, so that the red DGs will have a chance to take out the other area. I think this is a bad idea -- something like false advertising. I also think that, in the end, it doesn't make any difference to gameplay -- the player will figure it out after one play through (with accompanied frustration), then subsequent playthroughs will be cakes. It is a bit of a red herring, and actually takes away some difficulty, as the red DGs have to spend time taking it. To maintain the same level of difficulty, you might try reducing the number of red DGs by about 200, and giving them those SpawnPoints from the start. Or make no other changes, and remove the green DGs from that area. However, in the final analysis, it is up to you, and I am just stating my opinion...

xander
Zemocasu
level1
level1

Postby Zemocasu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:19 pm

I think it would be kind of interesting if you were forced to fight uphill, like put the red spawns a lot higher than yours. or the other way around.
Siber
level1
level1

Postby Siber » Thu May 11, 2006 11:04 pm

Awesome guys thanks for the ideas and notes, i had no idea about the resolution issue. I will try to more thuroughly test my next version.

Yes i plan to make a few more levels, this was simply the first, and something that as you can tell i just pulled out as fast as i could...

I like the idea that Zemocasu has, an uphill type battle, might be interesting with the movement speed variations and all. I think i'll try that next.

Again thanks for the feedback and i'll keep this thread alive with updates hopefully :)

Return to “Mod Projects”