Changing team colours?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:55 pm

Yes, but I haven't slept in five days, and your wry Canadian wit lightened my morning.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:58 pm

Well, then it's aboot time I said thanks, eh? :D
I'm off to the rink to get a beer and some back bacon.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:02 pm

trickfred wrote:Well, then it's aboot time I said thanks, eh? :D
I'm off to the rink to get a beer and some back bacon.

See, that's what I'm talking aboot, ya hosier.

xander
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:39 pm

Like I say, you cant really distribute the change with your mod if you have edited the exe. Its just a bit of fun, to have a shot at playing the red team for a change. But its such a common request, I might as well throw together a quickie tutorial.

N2
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm

nihilesthetics2 wrote:Like I say, you cant really distribute the change with your mod if you have edited the exe. Its just a bit of fun, to have a shot at playing the red team for a change. But its such a common request, I might as well throw together a quickie tutorial.

N2

...and email it to IV, so they can see how much of a desired feature it is. :D
lordofjesterds
level1
level1

Postby lordofjesterds » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm

nihilesthetics2 wrote:Like I say, you cant really distribute the change with your mod if you have edited the exe. Its just a bit of fun, to have a shot at playing the red team for a change. But its such a common request, I might as well throw together a quickie tutorial.

N2

That'd be great to tinker with.
I was wondering if it was a hex change.

I was a little dense last post I guess :)
...is it over? is he gone?
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Hmm, on second thoughts, the tutorial is going to be a little bit advanced. Maybe too advanced. Oh well, I tried my best :D

http://www.nihilesthetics.info/DarwiniaModding/FeaturePatch2.htm

N2
lordofjesterds
level1
level1

Postby lordofjesterds » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:00 am

Thank you very much! I shall have a tinker and see what happens. I forsee lots of broken .exe files!

...'cos god knows I don't have enough to occupy my time at the moment.
...is it over? is he gone?
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:27 am

trickfred wrote:...and email it to IV, so they can see how much of a desired feature it is. :D

Are they really listening, though? I have my doubts.

N2
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 am

nihilesthetics2 wrote:
trickfred wrote:...and email it to IV, so they can see how much of a desired feature it is. :D

Are they really listening, though? I have my doubts.

N2

I'm sure this will be taken into consideration after IGF. Don't forget, we will be having a 1.43 after IGF to fix the armour crash which sneaked its way on to the non-steam versions as well. You've also got multiwinia somewhere in the pipeline, so I'm sure that it might be possible to add the ability to change the team colours in there somewhere.

In the meantime, where did you learn all the ASM stuff? My grasp of ASM is limited, but how'd you track down the colours without the mapping file?

NeoThermic
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Maybe I am being too much of a cynic. ;)

There are no set rules to understanding any ASM listing. I tend to use the following methodology. Its time-consuming, and you will never fully understand whats going on, but its an interesting challenge, and you learn a lot about various programming related stuff as you go. Its also important to use the right tools.

You start of with the strings, then you see where they are referenced. You can then roughly identify what bocks of code deal with what. Then you identify things like switch statements and external function calls. You can then tell what each block is doing at a very granular level. For example, reference to "_StartDefinition" along with IO function calls means that that code block is probably parsing map or mission files, whereas references to "Darwinian" along with opengl function calls probably means that that code block is rendering Darwinians. Then follow the code keeping track of what registers hold what values. Youre basically refining your understanding of what is going on over several passes. Cross-reference often and use lots of comments. Over time, it starts to fit together like a jigsaw.

N2

Return to “Mod Projects”