Discovery level

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

EzekielOL
level1
level1

Discovery level

Postby EzekielOL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 pm

I have no clue on where to even begin getting the squad to the thing-of-a-jig...... Help!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 pm

Short answer: Pay attention to the intro. It tells you what you need to do. If that is not enough, bring up the objectives panel, and click on the only objective that is there. It should talk you through it.

Long answer: The map consists of three islands: a large island with a path that spirals up it; a somewhat shorter island with no path; and another large island with a path that switchbacks up it. There is a squad at the base of the first island described, in a group of trees. Your goal is to move that squad from the bottom of the first island to the top of the last island.

xander

EDIT: Oi... you changed your post as I was typing. To answer the new question, get the squad to the top of the first island, beam it to the second island, move it to the other end of the second island, beam it to the third island, get it to the top of the third island. Try not to get it dead on the way. You should probably start by getting it to the top of the first island. If you get the squad to the top of the first island, or past the first bend of the last island, resetting the level will not force you to start at the beginning again, but will allow you to pick up a significant way into the map.
EzekielOL
level1
level1

Postby EzekielOL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:04 pm

So I gathered.....just seems like an impossible feat!
Any hints???
EzekielOL
level1
level1

Postby EzekielOL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Oi!!!! You edited yours as I was editing mine!!!!!
Thanks for your help...still seems like an impossible task!!!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:11 pm

EzekielOL wrote:Oi!!!! You edited yours as I was editing mine!!!!!
Thanks for your help...still seems like an impossible task!!!!

It is possible, just not easy. All things are possible in the fullness of time.

xander
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:27 am

EzekielOL wrote:So I gathered.....just seems like an impossible feat!
Any hints???

If you suck as bad as me(which I doubt, though :) ), you could just hack the insurrection mod files and just give yourself v4 squaddie research. :lol:
EzekielOL
level1
level1

Postby EzekielOL » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:02 am

Hey!!! You were right! I did eventually work my way through the level and have finished most of the other ones as well! It requires a different style of play than the original and has a slightly steeper learning curve. Maybe the original game was just too easy??? At any rate, after I got over the initial frustration, I have thoroughly enjoyed this mod! Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Kent
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:15 am

EzekielOL wrote:Hey!!! You were right! I did eventually work my way through the level and have finished most of the other ones as well! It requires a different style of play than the original and has a slightly steeper learning curve. Maybe the original game was just too easy??? At any rate, after I got over the initial frustration, I have thoroughly enjoyed this mod! Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Kent

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

xander
mellowvision2
level1
level1

I really am enjoying this mod too

Postby mellowvision2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:14 am

I think this is a lot harder, and perhaps a better way to learn to play than the original missions. I really like the game play style, and it has taught me how to use darwinians much better, as opposed to the original, which taught me to use squads more....

BUT, I can't see the squad on Discovery level. I have managed to open all the radar dishes, and have gotten my group of darwinians all over the place... managed to kill off tons of snakes by luring them around with engineers... but I do not see a squad?

Is this a macintosh bug?
xander
level5
level5

Re: I really am enjoying this mod too

Postby xander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:59 am

mellowvision2 wrote:BUT, I can't see the squad on Discovery level. I have managed to open all the radar dishes, and have gotten my group of darwinians all over the place... managed to kill off tons of snakes by luring them around with engineers...

Ooo... I hadn't thought of that strategy... I like it!

mellowvision2 wrote:but I do not see a squad?

Is this a macintosh bug?

In that level, the squad is placed in the RunningPrograms section of the mission file. This is a feature from Darwinia 1.4 (which is not yet out for the Mac, except in closed beta). You will have to wait for the next patch before you can finish the mod. If you attempt to play through without squads, I can guarentee that the last level will cause Darwinia to crash, as it includes buildings that just don't exist prior to 1.4.

xander
mellowvision2
level1
level1

Postby mellowvision2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:37 am

yeah, luring the snakes is the only way to really make it through the radar dish there... otherwise the snakes kill the troops the minute they hit the ground. or at least they did for me. it's fun, especially while trying to keep the engineers alive too.

I'd love a hack to call discovery done so I can keep playing. maybe the patch will come out before I need it! lol

Return to “Mod Projects”