Insurrection 1.1.7

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Re: stuck in Backdoor

Postby xander » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:50 pm

thefrogger wrote:I seem to have gotten stuck in Backdoor (after Sanctuary).

I enabled the trunkport to secondary_core, and the red DGs poured through. I've taken over the level and gotten my DGs to the trunkport. That objective shows complete, but the activate trunkport objective still shows incomplete even though I've done it.

There are two control towers surrounded by security fences, only one of which is opened. There were two "enable trunk port" tasks, one shows completed, but the main "activate trunk port to secondary_core" is still incomplete -- as is the second enable task -- as if it were waiting for me to activate the 2nd tower still inside the force field.

When I leave and reenter Backdoor, now only one "Enable trunk port" task shows, and it is incomplete.

D'oh! I'm an idiot. The mission objective should be

Code: Select all

BuildingOnling:backdoor,3
not

Code: Select all

BuildingOnline:backdoor,6

Sorry... the change has been rolled into the version that I will upload tonight. Until then, change the objective in mission_backdoor_b.txt and reset the level, or just wait for the next version.

The objective needs to be looking for the trunkport, not the control tower. I seem to have introduced that error sometime last week when editing Backdoor. It turns out that you can move a squad to a location just outside the fence, then create an engineer inside the fence to capture a control tower. In the original version of the game, there were control towers inside each fence, which means that it would have been possible for a player to activate the trunkports to both cores in their first time through the level, or to activate the 'port to Primary_Core after playing Sanctuary. I made both buildings dynamic, and replaced them with static shapes in the first mission, but changed the mission objective at the same time. Sorry about that.

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 am

xander wrote:Until then, change the objective in mission_backdoor_b.txt and reset the level...

I'm not getting the reset option in the location menu. Just Leave and Options. I tried deleting the mission_backdoor_b.txt file from the user directory, and replacing it with the one from the mod, but in both cases the trunkport objective is already complete and I can't progress from here. (I probably needed to reset before applying the change. Now it thinks I've already completed it).

Any way to jumpstart this game without starting over?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:39 am

thefrogger wrote:
xander wrote:Until then, change the objective in mission_backdoor_b.txt and reset the level...

I'm not getting the reset option in the location menu. Just Leave and Options. I tried deleting the mission_backdoor_b.txt file from the user directory, and replacing it with the one from the mod, but in both cases the trunkport objective is already complete and I can't progress from here. (I probably needed to reset before applying the change. Now it thinks I've already completed it).

Any way to jumpstart this game without starting over?

M'kay... I should have been more detailed. I left out the game.txt part. The line that I tell you to change in mission_backdoor_b.txt has a counterpart in game.txt that also needs to be changed (it is line 217, in the Backdoor section of game.txt). You will have to decrypt the game.txt that is in your user directory and make the change. Because the problem was with game.txt as well, when I put out the new version, you will have to update game.txt in your user folder anyway, as that won't be altered with the update. If you like, send me a copy of your game.txt from your user folder, and I will correct it myself.

xander

EDIT: M'kay, 0.9.2 is up. Here's the link: http://wendryn.com/darwinia/insurrectio ... 9.2.tar.gz
thefrogger
level2
level2

still hosed

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:34 am

Okay, I decrypted my users/insurrection/game.txt file and made the backdoor,3 change.

When I reran Darwinia, I received some text about Greenbrae's army waiting for us and pouring through. But there were still no units in the map, no reset in the location menu, and no apparent way to progress from here.

Then I tried grabbing the latest 0.9.2 archive, and after installing this I get the fatal error:

StaticShape UniqueID was not unique in ...map_backdoor.txt

I'm sending my game.txt in PM, but it no longer has the backdoor entry at all. I may be screwed. In any case, many thanks if you can take a look and advise.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:27 pm

You will need to delete mission_backdoor_b.txt from your user directory. Versions 0.9.2 and 0.9.1 should probably be considered incompatible when it comes to Backdoor, because of the way that the ControlTowers are swapped with the mission.

Once you have deleted the files listed above, use the game.txt that I sent you, and continue playing from Secondary_Core.

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:55 pm

I deleted users/insurrection/mission_backdoor_b.txt, and then replaced game.txt with the one you sent. I still get the same UniqueID error.

Two possibilities:

You didn't have a closing [/code] tag in the message with the game.txt, so it didn't come through formatted. I'll try reformatting this by hand, but if you're on-line and can resend it, that would be great.

Your message here said delete the "files", plural, but only one was mentioned. Is there something else I needed to delete/change?

Thanks again,
John
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:11 pm

thefrogger wrote:I deleted users/insurrection/mission_backdoor_b.txt, and then replaced game.txt with the one you sent. I still get the same UniqueID error.

Two possibilities:

You didn't have a closing [/code] tag in the message with the game.txt, so it didn't come through formatted. I'll try reformatting this by hand, but if you're on-line and can resend it, that would be great.

Your message here said delete the "files", plural, but only one was mentioned. Is there something else I needed to delete/change?

Thanks again,
John

There are three files which contain buildings for Backdoor:
map_backdoor.txt
mission_backdoor_a.txt
mission_backdoor_b.txt

IDs must be unique between the map file and each mission file, but because the missions are not both active at the same time, they can share IDs. Most of the spawn system is shared, and several static shapes in mission_backdoor_a.txt are replaced by real buildings with the same ID in mission_backdoor_b.txt. In the current version (0.9.2), on my computer, the unique IDs are being handled properly. Therefore, I assume that the problem is with your profile. In your user directory, I would suggest deleting all of the files that have anything to do with Backdoor (so, mission_backdoor_*.txt (which will reset Backdoor), and continuing on with the game.

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:39 pm

WooHoo! That did it xander, I'm off and running.

Thanks!
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:52 pm

i can't seem to get to image now. I done processor can image won't show up.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:16 pm

jaysc wrote:i can't seem to get to image now. I done processor can image won't show up.

That is odd. The mission for Image is set in a script that runs when buildings 2 and 20 in Processor are online, and you are on the world map. Building 2 is the trunkport to Image, and building 20 is the spirit processor, which are the two objectives. If the two objectives are complete, the script should run, and I can't think of a reason that they wouldn't. However, I have moved the SetMission command to game.txt for version 0.9.3, and will do the same for any other missions where it is applicable. Hopefully, that will prevent such things from happening in the future.

Now, when you say that Image won't show up, is it on the world map? Darwinia, by default, will make a level available as soon as a trunkport connects to it. However, if there is no associated mission file, it will be greyed out. So, is Image on the map, or has it not shown up at all? That might help me to figure out what is going on...

xander

EDIT: Part of the problem here may have been that the mission for Image was set in two different scripts. Not sure why this would have caused a problem, as the commands were identical, but that problem has been fixed as of 0.9.3.
Last edited by xander on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Secondary_core was pretty cool. :) The sky was full of souls -- most of which would have been red if I hadn't accidentally peeked my squad's nose out a bit too far and got it shot off right before the enemy charged his 2000+ army at me!

I did notice that the objective for destroying Greenbrae's forces showed up as Complete when I first entered the level. (Not sure if the game.txt surgery had anything to do with that). It played to completion just fine though.

In Communications, I'm not sure what I need to do to complete the level. Do I need to *keep* DGs at each terminal? Yikes, that would be tough! I've taken all of them, and they're all green now, but some of the earlier points have since been overrun. The objective count shows 170 (I'm not sure what that's measuring).

It's possible that I didn't maintain control of one or more points long enough to fully saturate its portion of the beam. If full simultaneous control of all points is not a requirement, then that's probably it and I'll have to work my way back through some of them.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:28 pm

thefrogger wrote:Secondary_core was pretty cool. :) The sky was full of souls -- most of which would have been red if I hadn't accidentally peeked my squad's nose out a bit too far and got it shot off right before the enemy charged his 2000+ army at me!

I did notice that the objective for destroying Greenbrae's forces showed up as Complete when I first entered the level. (Not sure if the game.txt surgery had anything to do with that). It played to completion just fine though.

Hrm... that is a standard bring the SpawnPointOnline mission objective. As long as there are red units on the map, it should not be complete. That sounds like a Darwinia engine problem rather than a problem with the mod, though I will look into it.

thefrogger wrote:In Communications, I'm not sure what I need to do to complete the level. Do I need to *keep* DGs at each terminal? Yikes, that would be tough! I've taken all of them, and they're all green now, but some of the earlier points have since been overrun. The objective count shows 170 (I'm not sure what that's measuring).

It's possible that I didn't maintain control of one or more points long enough to fully saturate its portion of the beam. If full simultaneous control of all points is not a requirement, then that's probably it and I'll have to work my way back through some of them.

Actually, the objective there is a bit of a kludge, and there is no way that the counts should get above 6! I think this is another level that 1.3 screwed up... let me see if I can come up with another way of doing it. Just FYI, right now, all you have to do is take each terminal. When you take the terminal, it is supposed to trigger an AISpawnPoint in the ocean that produces invisible team 1 virii. Each of the AISpawnPoints is covered by a SpawnPopulation lock that should allow only one virus to be produced, and all six AISpawnPoints are in a SafeArea. The SafeArea is set to go off when all six virii are present. Thus, that is what is being counted. At 170, the mission should be complete...

There are three problems -- first, the SafeArea does not seem to be coming online like it is supposed to. This seems to be a common theme. Second, the AISpawnPoints should not be comming online until after the terminals become active. Can you reset the level and watch that objective? Does it immediately start counting up, or do you have to do anything first? I would like to know if it is behaving differently on your box... Third, the SpawnPopulationLocks do not seem to be working... I will see what I can do.

Well, this makes me sad, because I thought I had come up with a great solution to the problem of getting the level to work. I tested this level more extensively than any of the others, so I know for a fact that it works on the Mac, at least.

At any rate, in theory, all you should have to do is capture a terminal once. That will activate it, which should activate an AISpawnPoint, which should (after all six are captured) trigger a SafeArea.

Okay, I am going to go play with those levels a bit and see if I can reproduce the problems that you are having...

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 pm

Okay, what's happening in Communications is that the count goes up every time a terminal gets completed with four DGs -- even ones that were already previously controlled.

As in, when some of the DG's manning the terminal are killed, and others take their place, it bumps the count again.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:00 am

thefrogger wrote:Okay, what's happening in Communications is that the count goes up every time a terminal gets completed with four DGs -- even ones that were already previously controlled.

As in, when some of the DG's manning the terminal are killed, and others take their place, it bumps the count again.

That is really... odd... The only thing that I can think of is that the AISpawnPoints are getting triggered each time the DGs recapture the terminal, but they should still not be spawning, as they are under the influence of a SpawnPopulationLock...

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am

Perhaps a 1.3 change/bug. Although the next question is, what keeps the objective from completing anyway when the count reaches six -- even if that happens on the first terminal?

Return to “Mod Projects”