Controller..

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Brass Monkey
level1
level1

Controller..

Postby Brass Monkey » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:05 pm

In the "Siege" mod there is a weapon called the controlller.. am I right in thinking this is hardcoded into the game? I assume you'd need the source code to be able to actually create brand new weapons.. if this is the case, are there are other weapons in there that aren't in the main game? And how can I activate them in a mod?

p.s. sorry if these are idiotic questions.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:11 pm

The controller was a weapon that was taken out of the game late in the beta process (kind of like bridges). Squads would fire markers (like those for an airstrike), and any DGs in range would turn blue and follow the squad around. I guess this was seen as a little redundant or something, and the weapon was taken out of the game. I am pretty sure that it will not work if you try to use it.

xander

EDIT: I stand corrected... the controller will work. Woot!
Last edited by xander on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brass Monkey
level1
level1

Postby Brass Monkey » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:36 pm

It works just fine in the Seige mod, I was playing with it yesterday. It's a pretty cool little tool, I was hoping to use it in a mod somehow.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:48 pm

Neat... I did not know that it still worked. I wonder if that means that bridges can also be made to work...

xander
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:56 pm

Engineers can be given the ability to build bridges by setting their Research to level 5. This is impossible in the single player game, but you can make it happen in your mods by editing the game.txt directly.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:59 pm

Chris wrote:Engineers can be given the ability to build bridges by setting their Research to level 5. This is impossible in the single player game, but you can make it happen in your mods by editing the game.txt directly.

/me laughs manically.

Nifty. Thanks, Chris.

xander
Brass Monkey
level1
level1

Postby Brass Monkey » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:06 pm

IS t here a guide to working with the text files somewhere? It's the only bit that's still confusing me.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:25 pm

I think that the best luck you will have in the area of guides is Icepicks vaunted The Next Game. Other than that, if you have an issue, search the boards or post a topic. There ought to be someone that can help.

xander
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:51 pm

Chris wrote:Engineers can be given the ability to build bridges by setting their Research to level 5. This is impossible in the single player game, but you can make it happen in your mods by editing the game.txt directly.

Chris, thank you soo much.

Would one of the beta testers please say how your ment to get your units to enter the bridge? I have put enginears on all the diffrent points
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:48 pm

How do you build a bridge once your engineer is level five?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Select an engineer, move it to the start point, then hold the right button over the end point, and left click. Keep the engineer that started it in place, if he leaves the bridge vanishes. Use other engineers to acivate the remaining bridge points.Congratulations, you now have a full functional useless bridge.

At least, I think its useless. I havent been able to get any DGs or Squaddies to enter one. I'd have expected them to work much like Radars once set up, but no.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:58 pm

1) Move the engineer to the start point.
2) While holding the right mouse button, left-click on the end point.
3) Man each node with an engineer.

Units do not seem to be able to use the bridges however. Hmm...

xander

EDIT: andrewas got there first.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:35 pm

The Controller kinda sucks. They don't really follow your squad like it was an officer, they just... sorta gradually make their way over when they feel like it. I was going to plan a level based around it in EW part 3, but... eh. It'd be just using it for the sake of using it.

The DGs do turn a very pretty shade of blue though...
Brass Monkey
level1
level1

Postby Brass Monkey » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:43 pm

They seemed to follow my squad quite well when I was using it, oh well.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 am

Forgive me for reviving a dead topic, but I messed around with the Controller and got the stats...
Darwinians following a Controller directly follow the Squad's path. If your squad goes around an enemy cluster, the controlled Darwinians will follow this path instead of going directly to the squad like they would an Officer.
The controlled Darwinians do NOT: attack, run from grenades, or use buildings.
They do, however, follow the squad through radar dishes, and if bridges worked, I presume they would follow across bridges, too.
When the squad dies, the darwinians return to normal in about 3 seconds.
The controller program uses its own TaskManager slot. This slot cannot be selected while other programs (besides other Controllers) exist. After your squad dies and all other slots are clear, it can be selected and destroyed.
I will mess around with the higher levels and get the research level stats...

EDIT: The research levels do nothing for Controller.

Return to “Mod Projects”