What are the rules regarding Spawn Points?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xyzyxx
level5
level5

What are the rules regarding Spawn Points?

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:55 pm

I thought this would be the best place to post this.

I was playing the Biosphere level and I was doing some experimenting with the Spawn Points... And I can't seem to figure out exactly how they are operated.

When I had captured all four Spawn Points on the first island, I had a certain number of Greenies and no more were coming out of the Spawn Points. So then, I blasted all my Greenies and then some more started coming out of the Spawn Points. I don't know if it was the same number as I had before.

Then I tried promoting one of the Greenies to an officer and then terminating him. After that, I expected 1 soul to come through one of my SPs but nothing did. So then I deleted several more this way, and then some of them came back through.

Then, when I moved all my DGs to the central Island, I was surprised to see a ton more souls come streaming through.

Does anyone know the rules by which the SPs decide when to spawn more?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:58 pm

Max is either 100 or what you've set with a SpawnPopulationLock.

100 is global, SpawnPopulationLock can be localised.

(Information obtained from Icepick's excellent modding guide @ http://thenextgame.co.uk/modguide/)
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 am

the "rule" as you put it is actually discussed in the game at that level... Sepulveda says that "to prevent overpopulation, only a certain number of darwinians can be born on any island" and then shows you the tower that controls where the souls get directed.

Something weird though, I noticed that only about 2 generations would spawn on an island (if I, for example, had officers directing each and every darwinian to the center island), and All the darwinians from that island (all 2 or 3 or however many generations) would have to be killed before that island starts producing any more.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:51 am

100 what? per spawn point?
Why did more suddenly start coming again when none of them died, only moved between islands?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:57 am

I believe it's 100 per island.. sounds about right.

And I think the game may believe those particular darwinians dead, so it produces more until a global limit is reached.

But I'm not particularly sure, exactly. Maybe a bug in the game?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:09 am

So what you're saying is that there's a limit of 100 per island... and as long as there are less than 100 on an island, that islands SPs will spawn more DGs until the global limit is reached.

Well that doesn't seem to be right, here's something else that happened.

I had captured three of the four islands, with officer chains directing all spawned DGs onto the central island. After no more were being spawned anywhere, I had at least 700 of them on the central island. I'm thinking it was more like 1000. And of course, there were still about 320 Reddies on the last island.

I took all mine and headed to the fourth island. As soon as my DGs started to leave the central island, more of them started spawning again at my three islands.
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:23 am

weird. I did that same thing, except I sent all my DG's directly to the 4th islan, just kept em close, and away from the red DGs. But as soon as I started taking the last island (and losing more than half of all my DGs), I didn't get one from my 3 other islands.
I had thought that with this system I would actually get an infinite supply of DGs, but i was wrong :?
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:35 pm

Pretty much all the info you should need on getting the Spawn Point systems to work can be found http://thenextgame.co.uk/modguide/index.php?p_id=11 - I dont THINK you would need anything else, but I might be wrong. If people aren't finding the guide clear, let me know and I'll see what I can do about writing some specific tutorials for things like spawn point networks.

Return to “Mod Projects”