Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

timonator
level2
level2

spam respawns all the time...

Postby timonator » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:50 pm

hey,

i played through darwinia for the second time, but every time i go to temple the spam mail on the red dg island keeps re-appearing!
what did i do wrong? :/

if you need me to upload any files let me know...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Hrm... I think that you are going to have to be a bit more specific. Right off, I can think of at least two scenarios where this is the intended behavior:

1) You are using the profile that you are granted at the end of the game. If you are using this profile, every time you restart the game, all of the levels will be reset to their original state, including the Spam.

2) You have reset the level. If you reset the level, the objectives will remain complete, but the Spam will respawn.

If one of those two things is not going on, could you please be a little more specific about what IS going on? Does it happen if you destroy a Spam, then leave the level and reenter? or after you quit the game and restart it? what profile are you using (i.e. a profile that has beaten the game already, the special profile that Dr. S gives you at the end of the game, or a new profile)? is anything else odd going on?

xander
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 pm

ok, i played through the game completely once and obtained the aaa profile.

then i made a new one in order to play it through again

when i now re-enter the temple the spam on the red dg island is there again.

maybe thats because the game crashed once after finishing the level... well crashed may be the wrong term. it just closed... didnt know if it was supposed to, because i played it through...

maybe i should upload some files so you could reproduce it?

and im using the unpatched retail version (1.2 or 1.21 or so)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:17 pm

timonator wrote:ok, i played through the game completely once and obtained the aaa profile.

then i made a new one in order to play it through again

when i now re-enter the temple the spam on the red dg island is there again.

maybe thats because the game crashed once after finishing the level... well crashed may be the wrong term. it just closed... didnt know if it was supposed to, because i played it through...

maybe i should upload some files so you could reproduce it?

and im using the unpatched retail version (1.2 or 1.21 or so)

M'kay... here is my guess as to what is going on: The game generally autosaves when you leave a level cleanly (either by explicitly clicking on "Leave Location", or when a script forces you to leave the location), and when you capture a control tower. I wouldn't be suprised if you destroyed the last Spam after the last autosave, then had the game crash. In this case, the Spam would be back the next time you played the level. Have you been able to finish the map with the new profile yet? have you tried again? does it always crash like that at the end?

If the answers to the above questions were no / yes / no, I have one other idea. There might be problems with the game trying to re-create the Triple-A profile, or re-enable the modding system. If the crash is consistant (i.e. it happens the at the same point every time), could you try two things: first, open up preferences.txt, and delete the lines that say "ModSystemEnabled = 1" and "Mod = none"; if that does not work, try deleting / moving the folder that contains the AAA profile ( users/AAA/ ). If these do nothing individually, try both at the same time.

xander
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:06 pm

well, the lasp spam i destroyed was on the island with the temple on it :/

Return to “Linux Issues”