bad sysinfo result

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Nod51
level0

bad sysinfo result

Postby Nod51 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:24 am

I ran sysinfo and it is detecting my third head PCI card that is quite... old (sysinfo):
Graphics Card: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+ 215GTB [Mach64 GTB] (rev 9a)
but I plan to play this game on my AGP8 card(lspci):
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV35 [GeForce FX 5900XT] (rev a1)
that is a little... better :-) . I would like to know what I should do. I figure I can:
1) add a note by hand somehow in the sysinfo.txt before I upload.
2) Just replace the video card result from what lspci tells me it is.
3) No one really cares and I should just upload it with a really bad video card.

thanks, I look forward to getting an answer and dowloading the game for testing.

P.S. I don't know if you really care, but sysinfo does not run in Debian AMD64 version. I am quite sure you would not develop for that arch, but since I am reporting a bug... (btw, the video card detection bug was in my 32bit Debian install)
GeniusDex
level1
level1

Postby GeniusDex » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:36 am

I'm having the same issue. I'm having a dualhead solution using xinerama with my left monitor being on the SiS card, and my right monitor being on a GeForce 3 ti200 (which i want to use to play with).

sysinfo gave me this line:
Graphics Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev 0b)

I'm currently with option 3 as i want to test more stuff now and i figured that manually changing it won't make it work ;)
lemonade
level1
level1

Postby lemonade » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:39 am

GeniusDex wrote:I'm having the same issue. I'm having a dualhead solution using xinerama with my left monitor being on the SiS card, and my right monitor being on a GeForce 3 ti200 (which i want to use to play with).

sysinfo gave me this line:
Graphics Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev 0b)

I'm currently with option 3 as i want to test more stuff now and i figured that manually changing it won't make it work ;)

Yes. The sysinfo-tool is just used for betatesting, so I wouldn't care if it gets false information. Changing it manually would just cause the beta not to work.
sysrq
level2
level2

Postby sysrq » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:00 am

It doesn't use the sysinfo for rendering or anything so having incorrect information in there is fine.
DEATH TO DUCKS!!!
sloth
level0

lspci requires root privileges

Postby sloth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:57 am

I had to re-run sysinfo and re-download the game after an online update for SuSE 9.1 gave me a newer kernel. As an experiment I tried the lspci command as a regular user and had this result:
pico@meerkat:~> lspci
bash: lspci: command not found

If I su and run the command I get all kinds of info. So, I ran sysinfo
pico@meerkat:~/Games/Darwinia> su
Password:
meerkat:/home/pico/Games/Darwinia # ./sysinfo
SysInfoGenVersion: 2
CpuVendor: AuthenticAMD
CpuModel: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Num Processors: 1
Language: N/A
Num sound devices: 1
Primary sound device: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia audio [Via VT82C686B] (rev a2)
Graphics Card: nVidia Corporation NV35 [GeForce FX 5900] (rev a1)
Operating System: Linux 2.6.5-7.111.19-default
Computer Name: meerkat

Wrote sysinfo.txt
meerkat:/home/pico/Games/Darwinia #

If I run sysinfo as a regular user the sound card and graphics card both show up as unknown.

I downloaded the game with this sysinfo.txt file and tried running the game using su
meerkat:/home/pico/Games/Darwinia/darwinia # ./darwinia
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

SDL Version: Compiled against 1.2.8, running with 1.2.8
Creating ResourceManager: 0.2

Failed to set screen mode
meerkat:/home/pico/Games/Darwinia/darwinia #

This occurs because the X server is being controlled by the user that originally started it, using su gives root privileges to the xterm, but commands issued through that xterm cannot control X.

If I log out and then log into KDE as root the game will run just fine, in that case the X server is started by root.
Since running the game as root is an unacceptable situation, I will now be re-running sysinfo as a regular user and re-downloading the game (for the last available time).

I realize sysinfo is really marginally useful, but I hope this clarifies things a bit.

sloth
Bruce42
level2
level2

Postby Bruce42 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:46 am

Slightly off topic (sorry) but 'xhost +localhost' will allow all local users to connect to the current X session. You can also add IPs or 'xhost +' to allow all.
tjwhaynes
level0

Don't run xhost + unless...

Postby tjwhaynes » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:30 am

I really don't recommend running "xhost +" unless you are running on a LAN behind another firewall and you trust your other users. There are some interesting ways to play with someone else's X session if the X authentication is turned off, which range from the annoying (running stupid programs on your display or messing with your mouse) to the dangerous (running keyloggers and window capture programs on your display).

My router has a built in firewall so it's not such an issue although I don't entirely trust the router firewall either... You're not likely to get got but you should always know what you have left open to outside interference.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes
Bruce42
level2
level2

Postby Bruce42 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:37 am

I agree, but xhost +localhost is pretty safe. I usually do that and manually add IPs as required.

Return to “Linux Issues”