Minor bugs in 1.4

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Rezmason
level1
level1

Minor bugs in 1.4

Postby Rezmason » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:48 pm

I'm not sure if you really care about these too much, since they don't make the game crash, but I made a list of bugs- some that are new in 1.4, others that are also in 1.2 and didn't get fixed. Some of these might just be issues with my hardware, so whether or not this is a waste of your time is questionable.

Anyway.

Old issues that still exist in 1.4:
- Using "Battle Cannons" over and over again will throw you into the sky, away from the map.
- Ants will sometimes crawl all the way to a corner of the map and stay there.
- Darwinians destroyed by the Soul Destroyers disappear when returning to a completed location.
- Black stripes appear on some Darwinians during the cutscene before "Temple", when they're casting long shadows on the ground. This occurs at certain distances from the camera or the upturned trunk port.
- Darwinians can become stuck to certain parts of the map.

New issues:
- The construction building in Yard makes noises before Darwinians start to operate it.
- Sometimes, Spiders will get stuck to particular parts of the map. This can be very helpful.
- At times, the game will either ignore mouse or keyboard input.

I took snapshots of all of these. Let me know if you need to see any of them.

Also, the fact that 1.40b2 didn't crash at all on my computer shows plenty of progress. Keep up the good work![/list][/list]
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Minor bugs in 1.4

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 pm

Rezmason wrote:- Using "Battle Cannons" over and over again will throw you into the sky, away from the map.

Was the cannon occupied by your team?

Rezmason wrote:- Darwinians can become stuck to certain parts of the map.

Which maps/locations? Screenshots here are ace :)

Rezmason wrote:- Sometimes, Spiders will get stuck to particular parts of the map. This can be very helpful.

As above, screenshots help :)

NeoThermic
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:28 am

Thanks very much, I'll look into those. Any screenshots exhibiting the above would be great. Also if you could take a look in the Windows Issues forum to see if anybody else has reported them, that would be great as it would tell us whether the bug was specific to Mac OS X or not.
Rezmason
level1
level1

Postby Rezmason » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:42 pm

The battle cannon issue only occurs with partially or fully occupied cannons- basically, when you click on the cannon, the camera zooms out and up, and the crosshair appears, so you can shoot stuff. That makes sense.

The problem is, when you return the battle cannon's control to the Darwinians inside, the camera doesn't zoom back in.

That doesn't seem like a big problem at first, but consider this- I plant two cannons next to each other, and occupy them both with Darwinians. They're trying to shoot down an SD. I take over Cannon 1, and the SD kills the Darwinians inside before I can kill it. Naturally, I'd switch to Cannon 2 nearby and continue shooting.

So, what happens when I click Cannon 2? The camera zooms out, and up. But Cannon 1 already did that- now I'm twice as high as before, aiming a giant crosshair at really tiny targets.

That's why I suggest that taking over a battle cannon should put the camera in a mode similar to aiming the radar dishes, where it doesn't automatically zoom you out.

As for the other issues- I'll put up some screenshots in a minute.
Rezmason
level1
level1

Postby Rezmason » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Here we go. Some screenshots are smaller, because they don't have to be full size.

Camera zoom annoyance with battle cannons (At all locations)

Ants in the corner of Receiver (occurred in 1.2.2 as well)

The yard thing makes "working" noises even when Darwinians aren't there

Stuck Darwinians en route to the Big Tree in Containment

Keyboard input ignored in Temple

Mouse input ignored in Temple (Occurred at a different time than the stuck keyboard issue)

Stuck Spiders in Receiver (That was fun)

Zebra striping on some Darwinians in Temple (also occurred in 1.2.2)

Another shot of zebra striping in Temple

Notice that the stripes seem to only affect Darwinians that are casting long shadows, who are standing at a certain distance from the camera.

Anyway, I skimmed a bit through recent Windows issues, but it's mostly "Whine whine whiiine, my PC crashed!" or "Whine whine whine whiiiiiiiine, Steam's giving me issues!", so I think that most of these bugs are Mac-related.

Return to “Mac Issues”