Jumpy Camera on Beta3

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Dimpfinator
level1
level1

Jumpy Camera on Beta3

Postby Dimpfinator » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:30 pm

I've just downloaded the update (and updated to 10.3.6), and I've found that the camera is much more jumpy than before, to the point of getting somewhat motion-sick after a minute of gameplay. It seems to be the worst when going over oceans, as well as the transition between land and shore, though it's overall pretty bad. Sorry, can't take screenshots of this phenomenon...though I may try pressing the screenshot button a bunch of times quickly and photoshopping it with layer transparency's to help illustrate....let me know if this would help.

[edit: I'm currently using my trackpad, which has worked fine on the other beta. I could also try using my mouse...Alright. Here's the update:
The mouse works similarly to the trackpad, but when hovering the mouse over uneven terrain, the camera focus jumps up and down, and usually degenerates into jumping farther and farther up and down, and both times resulted in looking directlydownward. Like I said, uneven terrain, even small ridges makes it trip out.]

~Dimpfinator
Madness takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:11 pm

This bug has been noted long ago. There is currently a Debug Cam option, using F2.
Dimpfinator
level1
level1

Postby Dimpfinator » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:11 am

Indeed. However, even using the F2 button, it was jittery. Also, I found a way to get the camera not to follow the "O" cursor around. If you press F2, then F6, which brings up that stats menu, then F2 again (while in that screen), then F6, you can move the mouse around indepenant of the camera, which of course means, you can't turn the camera. It would seem that this is a bug, but if it impacts the final product, I'm not sure. Also, controls are much more sluggish when this happens. I have a screenshot to prove this:

Mad_Big_Sausage
level2
level2

Postby Mad_Big_Sausage » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:46 am

Or I think you can just press F2 twice, forgetting the F6 business. Correct me if I'm wrong with the Mac Beta.
If you see Kaye, why owe you?
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:42 am

Or...

You could keep the Debug option on. To rotate around, hold down the Apple key, then click and drag to the desired angle.
Dimpfinator
level1
level1

Postby Dimpfinator » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:25 am

Or...It's still pretty jumpy, even with F2. It was better with the previous beta...anyone else?

Also, F2 twice does duplicate the effect, on mac.

~Dimpfinator
UberBuckley
level1
level1

Postby UberBuckley » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:54 am

If anything, the upgrade to 10.3.6 on my machine has made the camera move more fluidly, due to the increased speed that I've gotten out of the game. Of course, I did experience this under 10.3.5. (I think from your description, especially the part about motion sickness, that it was the same thing.) Try setting the graphics preferences to more processor-friendly settings, in order to boost the frame-rate. See if that helps any.
Dimpfinator
level1
level1

Postby Dimpfinator » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:03 am

Thing is, it's gotten much worse since the upgrade. (I upgraded my OS and the game at the same time, so I don't know which did it, but I do know that the nVidia driver was updated in the OS update)

I also got a consistent 20fps before, and now I hover about 10-13 or so. I'll try fiddling with the graphics settings though...

~Dimpfinator

Return to “Mac Issues”