Can't Install Mods, Steam on Vista

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Bobman42
level0

Can't Install Mods, Steam on Vista

Postby Bobman42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:14 pm

With the Multiwinia PR machine going on, I found myself with a renewed thirst for pixel-on-pixel combat. Some of the mods out piqued my interest, and so I tried to install Insurrection. Problems ensue:

I found the preferences.txt file with some help from the forums, and I put the mod folder in the right place for a steam app (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\[username]\darwinia\mods), but the mod doesn't want to start. I made the preference changes in the Insurrection readme, setting UserProfile = NewProfile, Mod = Insurrection, and all that jazz, but when I start the game I just get the same world as normal with Garden as the only open location. Opening the mods menu says that "Insurrection" is the current mod, and the only other options are unload mod, make a new one, or toggle the editor. Shouldn't there be a "load mod" option there?

Thinking maybe this was an Insurrection issue, I downloaded EnemyWithin1 from stellarmatter, but I got the same problems.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Is there some extra hoop in a Steam version on Vista that I have to jump through to use mods?

I've got Insurrection v1.17, Darwinia v1.5.10, and Vista is up to date. ModSystemEnabled = 1 was already done when I did the other preferences.txt changes.

Hopefully someone in the know is still reading this forum, I know I'm a bit late to the party :?

EDIT:
Apparently the mod folder goes in C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Darwinia with Vista. Mods appear to be running now.

Stupid Vista.

Return to “Windows Issues”