Mods not loading

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Azati Prime
level1
level1

Mods not loading

Postby Azati Prime » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:21 am

I don't know if I'm doing something really stupid or there's a problem. I've downloaded two mods (MaintenanceSys and CivilWar) and installed them to the mods folder. After beating the game I went to load the first mod. All I see in the mods menu is unload mod (this just resets the campaign) create new mod, and toggle editor. There's nothing to load a mod. I'm running Darwinia with the latest patch (1.5.11) on Vista.
The enemy's gate is down.
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Hello? Does anyone live here anymore? I'd really like to play the mods.

briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:45 am

Nope, not many read these pages anymore. Modding section gets the most traffic and that's not much.

I don't know windows (I'm a linux guy) but I'll give you a few suggestions. First thing you should do is try one of the major mods like Insurrection or any of the Enemy Within trilogy. Why? because they have detailed installation instructions in thier README files. Mods by The GoldFish also have good READMEs. I'm not sure how much effort Martin put into docs...

Also, Vista is DIFFERENT from WinXP! Duh, but no one has made a new mod since Vista came out, so no one has made instructions about loading mods under Vista. I helped another guy find the place where mods files get stored. You should read that thread and put your mods in that place only. When you get it right, the game will load the mods into the menu when the game boots up. You'll know when you get the files in the right directory. That's probably your prob.

This is the thread. Read the last post for the mod directory location under his Vista install. Yours may be different, so this is not a guarantee.

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=4112

Good Luck!

(And play the best mods first: Insurrection, EW1,2,3, and all of TGF's crazy mods. You won't regret it.)
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

MaintenanceSys and Civil War were the mods I tried to install. All my Darwinia files are located in Program Files, not App Data. I'm not sure how that person got their files there. I might try reinstalling Darwinia. Is there a way to backup my campaign progress so I don't have to play it all over again to get the mods?

briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:35 am

Azati Prime wrote:Is there a way to backup my campaign progress so I don't have to play it all over again to get the mods?

Sure! your profile is stored under the "users" directory. Just copy that entire profile directory somewhere safe. Then copy it back to the new "users" dir when you finish whatever shuffling you do.

The files in the profile dir contain the complete game state: game.txt and one mission file per level. These are mildly encrypted, but there are several "redshirt2" decrypters if you search the forums. These files can be saved in plain text if you like -- then you can edit them to cheat.

But to backup your progress just copy the files or the entire profile dir somewhere safe. I usually do this periodically during long mods so I have save games. Some mods force you to chose among different paths (Insurrection and EW3) and then prevent you from following the pther path withoout restarting the mod. Save games take care of that annoyance!

P.S. your mod-related questions should really be in the mods forum under the thread for the particular mod. The mod authors stilll monitor their own threads, even if slowly. This forum is for problems that prevent you from running the game engine at all.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Azati Prime wrote:MaintenanceSys and Civil War were the mods I tried to install. All my Darwinia files are located in Program Files, not App Data. I'm not sure how that person got their files there. I might try reinstalling Darwinia. Is there a way to backup my campaign progress so I don't have to play it all over again to get the mods?

If you have one of Vista's security features enabled, all file writes Darwinia tries to make to its own directory will end up in App Data. This will mean, if you have it on, your mission data will be there.

Return to “Windows Issues”