No profile saved on Vista

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

analogue
level0

No profile saved on Vista

Postby analogue » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi,

I bought Darwinia on Steam under Vista x64 Home Premium French.

I created a profile but it does not seem to work: After I restart the game, I always come back in english with only the garden available.
There is no "users" directory in the "steam/steamapps/darwinia" folder. Creating one by hand does not help.
The strange thing is that with the demo, the profile saves without problem in "steam/steamapps/darwinia demo". There is a "users" folder in it :/

Thanks for helping me here :/
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Perhaps related to the permissions of the steam/steamapps/darwinia folder or containing folder.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
analogue
level0

Postby analogue » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 pm

The release folder has the same permissions as the demo folder, which can save the profile.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Mine uses my Windows profile. "C:\Users\[Username]\Saved Games\Darwinia\users\...".

wwarnick
analogue
level0

Postby analogue » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 pm

wwarnick wrote:Mine uses my Windows profile. "C:\Users\[Username]\Saved Games\Darwinia\users\...".

wwarnick

Found the bug, thanks to you.

Under Vista, Savegames are by default under "C:\Users\[Username]\Saved Games" like you said.
But for my home folder, I use specific drive and my savegame are under "H:\Saved Games". I moved this folder the Microsoft way (right click on the Saved Games folder, click Properties then click the Location tab) so it shoudl be supported.

By creating a fake "C:\Users\[Username]\Saved Games" and running Darwinia, my profile is saved.

I'll send this report to the devs, I hope they release a patch to fix it.
GrMbL
level0

Postby GrMbL » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 pm

analogue wrote:I'll send this report to the devs, I hope they release a patch to fix it.

Sadly enough almost 3 years later, it hasn't been fixed and hasn't been added to the FAQ :/
bruniezm
level0

Postby bruniezm » Sat May 22, 2010 6:15 am

Hi,

I think the problem is with your security, You need to gant the permission to the application to create the files within your system folder. For that Right Click on the game icon on your desktop and in the properties grant the full permission.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Or just turn off UAC altogether, and use something like Norton Internet Security 2010 for better control. (Haters, look away.)

Windows vista and 7 both save in the saved games folder by default, so if you want to add mods and stuff, you'd have to place it in there.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Or just turn off UAC altogether, and use something like Norton Internet Security 2010 for better control. (Haters, look away.)
If considering that horrible, horrible advice makes me a hater, then so be it.
zzzyyyzzz
level0

Postby zzzyyyzzz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 am

GrMbL wrote:
analogue wrote:I'll send this report to the devs, I hope they release a patch to fix it.

Sadly enough almost 3 years later, it hasn't been fixed and hasn't been added to the FAQ :/

Well, now it's four and a half years later and the bug still exists in the version I got on Steam during the Humble Introversion Bundle sale. I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit. I too moved all my user profile folders off C and onto another drive (G) and Darwinia was not saving my profile or games. I created the folder as analogue described and it started saving. Thank you.

Darwinia devs, please get on and fix this one! Not everyone's user folders are in the default location!
taltamir
level1
level1

Postby taltamir » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Or just turn off UAC altogether, and use something like Norton Internet Security 2010 for better control. (Haters, look away.)

Disabling UAC doesn't solve this bug
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm

taltamir wrote:

Disabling UAC doesn't solve this bug

Please finish reading the thread before replying to someone who probably isn't even reading any longer. It was known in 2011 that turning off UAC doesn't solve the problem, and a workaround that should actually work was given. Have you tried that? Do you have anything new to add to the topic? Or are you just trying to get a reaction?

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”