Cant play Darwina demon

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Sprite
level0

Cant play Darwina demon

Postby Sprite » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 am

i have the darwinia demo and i looked in the post about errors and i added those codes now it says "Cannot open language file language/(null)txt. Please help me! :(
Sprite
level0

Postby Sprite » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:31 am

Sorry i ment demo
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:46 am

Slow down. What initially happened? Where did you 'add those codes' to, and was there a problem beforehand?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
voiderest
level0

Postby voiderest » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 am

Edit: fixed the problem

I was trying to play the demo as well. It would crash on start up with a black screen and a sound looping, although I could get the menu screen to work by removing the 'StartMap' line in the 'preferences.txt'. When I try to start the Launch Pad map it then crashes as before.

I tried to do all the things suggested to fix it, but I might have missed something so I'll try to list what I did.

- I updated all the drivers I could find updates for including my bios.
- I tried changing the 'RenderLandscapeDetail' setting.
- I also tried reducing the settings dealing with the screen such as size and color depth.

The only thing that had any effect was changing the screen settings which only increased the amount of time before the game crashed in its attempt to load the map. I tried running the demo from your site and steam with the same results. (thought there might be different versions)

Under System:
CPU: Intel T2300 @ 1.66 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1014MB of RAM
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Under Device:
Chip Type: Intel GMA 950
Approx. Total Memory: 224.0 MB

Under Drivers:
Main Driver: igxprd32.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.4864
Date: 8/24/2007

I'm trying to run it on a Inspiron e1505/6400 so it just might not be able to handle it although I'm able to run CS: Source, Dawn of War, and the other demos Introversion has. I couldn't find any 'blackbox.txt' so I don't have that info. (maybe the demo doesn't have it) Would the full game result in the same crash as the demo if I attempted to run it? Is it just my out of date laptop or is there something I should have done to fix it?

Thanks for any help/advice. :)

Edit: maybe I should have made a new post or added a reply to the other post dealing with the demo, sorry mods
Last edited by voiderest on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:04 am

I can't remember your actual problem, but the graphics solutions is known to run Darwinia... adequately, if not well.

Edit: Wait: You can run source on that?
I might have to give that a go.
voiderest
level0

Postby voiderest » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 am

oh man I feel smart, RenderLandscapeMode is different from RenderLandscapeDetail :oops:

Yeah it can handle source although try to play the wrong map and I think its going to die a horrible death.

Return to “Windows Issues”